TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would you buy MX instead for $5,000 more?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by GKwey, Aug 13, 2016.

1. GKwey

GKwey Member

Got my S85D 5 months now. Have logged 12,000+ miles on it and love every mile of it. Used autopilot 99% of the time--even just for one block of stree I'd use it; seeing it can do what it (autopilot) supposed to do really thrills me.

Naturally I am thinking also about my next car and it must be a MX of course, since no other car in existence can replace a MS. Playing around with MX configuration on Tesla site with same configuration of my MS, I found the price difference is just $5,000. Woh, I wished I did this when I ordered my MS, as for just $5,000 difference I think I should get a MX instead.

What comes with this $5K difference are: bigger wheels/tires, better functional doors, better air suspension (5 vs 4 options), more interior space. Oh, MX's second row seat is not foldable and this would be a deal killer for me as this won't allow me to sleep in it when needed like a station wagon.

Assuming the unfoldable 2nd row seat does not make difference to you, go play with MX configuration. If you are thinking about submitting order for a MS may want to get a MX for mere $5K more right away now instead of 8+ later.

2. SoccerMan94043

#2 SoccerMan94043, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    I was extremely torn for about a month on whether to get an X or and S. This is my subjective plus/minus, X over S (after many test drives before ordering my S):

X over S:

1) WAAAAYYYYY better seats. It's not even close and this imo is a reason go that direction.
    2) Windshield
    3) Higher stance (better visibility)

S over X:
    1) Handles better
    2) Based on spec, faster - though I don't think I'd feel it
    3) Usable space
    4) At the time I ordered, about a two month delivery window
    5) At the time I ordered, 10K Cheaper since they were forcing air suspension on the X or the delivery window was 4 months+
    6) Falcon Wings - gimmick that will likely end up pretty costly (something like the S door handles, but way more expensive).
    7) The X build quality was atrocious - I hope they've solved that by now. That being said, my S has similar issues :(
    8) Size - the X barely fit in my garage while the S is tight but comfortable.

Cost, quality and delivery timeline were the kickers for me to go S. I'm not sure I'd make the same decision again.

• Informative x 1
  3. Dan43

Dan43 Member

Went for S75D after looking at X. X has better seats and feels more closeted, but S was cheaper and ready quicker.

4. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I think it's important to note that with the Model S the vast majority of issues have been resolved.

With the Model X there are all kinds of issues and who knows when it will reach the same level as the Model S.

Most of it is because they made it way too complicated. Look at the automatic opening doors. Anytime you have something like that it's bound to fail. Then on top of that you have the massive windshield which has it's pluses a minuses. A huge minus is it's prone to ghosting.

Plus there is the looks. The Model X isn't going to win any awards for how it looks.

I could understand desire for the X if someone wants a crossover. But, I'd prefer an actual SUV. You know one that I can actually take off road on occasion.

A Model X camper van might be interesting, but I think Tesla has other ideas in mind for camper van

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

While I'm no fan of the automatic doors or falcon wings, I'm less a fan of this argument. We rely daily on countless automated mechanical items, in traditional vehicles, in our houses, in the grocery store. Everywhere. Every time your HVAC kicks on, there are relays turning on air handlers and compressors, pumps running etc. A few latches aren't pushing the envelope.

• Like x 2
  6. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Just to clarify I'm not opposed to automatic opening doors because of reliability of electrical latches. I'm opposed to them for all of the things that can go wrong given my understanding of how they operate on the Model X.

In the Model S it's my understanding we have electrical mechanical doors. They're mostly reliable and we've only had a few occurrences of doors opening unexpectedly. The only major safety concern has been the rear passenger doors because on those doors if there is a power loss you have to use the emergency release latch under the middle seat. I'm not a huge fan of these types of doors, but I'm not massively opposed to it either.

In the Model X it's my understanding they're not just latches, but they're also motorized so they can automatically close the door as well.

I have no issues with motorizing something with an electrical motor of some kind if it brings a lot of value without trading too much off in terms of reliability.

Have the automatic front doors on the Model X really met that objective?

To meet the objectives they have to be extremely reliable.
    They can't have sensor failures that prevent the owner from opening the door.
    They can't squish someones body part so it has to have sensors for this (like door windows have).
    They can't open when they're not supposed to open. No turning the owner into Hodor because of failed latches.
    They have to be simple to use where the owner doesn't accidentally open the door when he/she only meant to unlock the doors via the key fob. Cyclist don't like it when a car that is parallel parked suddenly opens the front door in front of them.
    The doors can't smash into the car next to them so they need a sensor. To my knowledge they don't have a sensor. They rely on the owner catching them. They're pretty slow, but if the owner does it accidentally there is a chance it will hit the car next to them.

As to value I'm not entirely sure what the market is for automatic front doors. I have zero desire for the front door of any vehicle I have to be automatic. What is the car trying to do? To be chivalrous? Is it going to throw a rug over a pond as well as I walk to it? Is it going to be mad if I don't say thanks. Is this just part of the journey to a world like Wall-E?

It's also because this over complication feels forced onto the customer. To my knowledge there is no way to opt out of motorized doors on the Model X. Plus you're forced to have air suspension if you want the larger sized battery. Air suspension is well known within the automotive community in terms of having questionable long term reliability.

I just see the X as being something entirely more complicated than it really needs to be. It remains to be seen what the long term reliability will be, but so far it's been rough going for Tesla and the owners.

I know the firmware is still being tweaked and they're likely going to fix a few issues. But, I think any potential owner needs to be aware of potential pitfalls with the front doors. I know the FWD get all the attention.

• Like x 2
  7. davidc18

davidc18 Member

We have an MS for myself and plan on getting an MX when autopilot 2.0 is shipping.

8. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Buy the vehicle that best aligns with the majority of your use cases and needs.

• Like x 1
  9. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

Have an ICE pickup, solves what an X is good at for me. So no.

10. Krypto Kat

Krypto Kat Member

So you're saying OP should get a Leaf?:)

Need....No,:( Want.....Yes.:D

• Funny x 1
  11. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I don't disagree with your value argument. As I mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of them, and I own an X. I've said plenty on that throughout this forum. But that wasn't your initial argument with which I took issue - that argument: "Look at the automatic opening doors. Anytime you have something like that it's bound to fail," I still think has problems.

12. mmccord

mmccord Member

X wasn't for sale when I bought my S, or I definitely would have gotten the X. Having 3 kids (and another 1 in 3 weeks), plays a large part of that decision. We ended up cancelling our X reservation because two Teslas wasn't financially feasible, and trading in my S with >40k miles also wasn't viable.

We ended up buying a Highlander hybrid instead.

• Dislike x 1
  13. Mike K

Mike K Member

I like the idea of the X but I can't get by it's looks. I know aesthetics are subjective but other than the front end, it's a really ugly, poorly proportioned vehicle to me. To then shell out an additional 5k for that is difficult.

I think Tesla really dropped the ball on the X's styling which is why I think we're seeing (or are going to see) that demand isn't there for that particular vehicle.

Plus people don't realize how much utility the S has. The S is downright cavernous with the rear seats down.

• Like x 1
  14. AustinP

AustinP Member

We have a S85 for more than a year now, 27k miles on it. Indeed love it as it is.
    That being said, we spent 3 weeks on a road trip across the US, in a small SUV. Though I was not happy about the engine, the format has advantages. I believe if we had to order now, I'd go for the X.

15. David99

David99 Active Member

The X definitely has less space available inside. Non folding seats amplifies this. It uses more energy so the range is always lower than a same battery Model S. The doors are kind of a risk in terms of repairs and reliability. Not sure they add a lot of functionality.

16. Beryl

Beryl Member

I had a MX reservation for almost a year before getting my MS. The delivery delay, initial charger limits (since resolved), and lack of folding middle row seats, were the reasons I decided to get the MS and I do not regret that decision. I'm thoroughly enjoying my MS and still sport a "Tesla grin".

When/if they change the middle row seats and add AP 2.0 hardware, I may trade up to that MX because I really can use the additional seating capacity of the MS. However, the "keep a vehicle for at least 10 years" plan has served me well so I may move my M Ξ reservation over to the model Y.

17. buckerine

buckerine Member

Funny. We're almost certainly going to pair our upcoming S with a Highlander to replace our MB C300. Highlander is a great car with lots of utility

18. buckerine

buckerine Member

The problem with the X is that while it seats more people, the back row really isn't very comfortable for anyone except kids. So if you have an S with the rear facing kid seats, you essentially can seat the same number of people. Plus the X second row seats inability to fold was super boneheaded and decreases the utility of the vehicle tremendously. It gives the S more usable space for cargo just because of that alone.

• Like x 2
  19. mmccord

mmccord Member

The rear seats in the S are almost unusable in the summer months due to lack of ventilation. I like having them, but they aren't as convenient as the X would be.

20. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

Not sure if anyone pointed this out. But I think the S will take a resale value hit once the model 3 comes out. Since the X is an SUV, it should not be affected as much.