Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy MX instead for $5,000 more?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone pointed this out. But I think the S will take a resale value hit once the model 3 comes out. Since the X is an SUV, it should not be affected as much.
Model y will be coming out sometime next year as well, so X won't be protected either, by the same analogy. S and X are luxury whereas the 3 and Y will be tier 2. A BMW 7 series still has great value even when they have 5 and 3 available. Different segments, different demographics.

Model y will be coming out sometime next year as well, so X won't be protected either, by the same analogy. S and X are luxury whereas the 3 and Y will be tier 2. A BMW 7 series still has great value even when they have 5 and 3 available. Different segments, different demographics.
Agreed and the trunk versus hatchback form factors will appeal to different consumers.

Not sure if anyone pointed this out. But I think the S will take a resale value hit once the model 3 comes out. Since the X is an SUV, it should not be affected as much.
I agree, it's really the only good argument that I can think of for the X.

That thing looks very ugly. And the range for the X60D happens to be exactly 200 miles.. Hey what a coincidence. I wonder what the real world range is. Also I am no fan of those doors, unlike what the other poster said I just don't see what they add I'm term of value. Tesla could just have used minivan doors.

Exactly. Tesla would be stupid not to differentiate the two significantly. And from what we've seen of the models so far, it does seem like Model S buyers would generally not be Model 3 buyers.

Reactions: democappy
The X definitely has less space available inside. Non folding seats amplifies this.

This is often repeated (and I'm guilty of doing so early on, before I took delivery of my X), but it's not entirely accurate. My S has excellent, flexible storage. I brought home a bunch of 10' PVC runs in it at one point, and didn't have to hang them out the window. But the X has more vertical space. On a recent road trip, I took 5 people, lots of luggage, a cooler, a guitar, boxes of books and entertainment for kids, etc. in our X. The cooler was completely accessible while driving, as were the kids books and book bags with stuffed animals, plus my camera bag with iPads and laptops. We could have probably squeezed 5 into the S, and made the luggage work, but it wouldn't have been nearly as convenient.

Technically our S carries more people (7 with the jump seats vs. 6 in our X), but in reality the jump seats are a last resort and they tremendously limit additional cargo space. And you can pretty much count them out in the summer because of air circulation issues. That's not to say I haven't found them really useful, as we've used them a great many times in the years we've owned our S. But now that we have the X, we wouldn't consider taking the S with more than 4 people unless absolutely necessary.

I can fit both of my kids' bikes in the X with the four of us in the car. I cannot do that in the S. It's not my preference, and I'm shopping for a proper hitch bike rack for the X, but my point is that the X does a nice job of carrying cargo AND passengers, while the S is probably more flexible when there is only one or two passengers.

I have seen this same thought posted elsewhere and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. If anything, the Model 3 has INCREASED the resale value of the Model S already. Since the March 31st reveal, there are now 400,000 new Tesla customers (reservation holders), many of whom have already bought both used and new Model S's rather then wait for their Model 3 order. This has already been well-documented on this forum in multiple threads where people are debating buying a used Model S vs. a new Model 3. Obviously it follows that more people are now interested in used Model S's then before. Once the Model 3 is available for delivery, many of the potential buyers will compare a used Model S with a new Model 3 before they make their purchase decision. All of this points to higher demand for used Model S's. If resale value for the Model S takes a hit it will be due to other factors, NOT the availability 0f the Model 3.

S and X are luxury whereas the 3 and Y will be tier 2. A BMW 7 series still has great value even when they have 5 and 3 available. Different segments, different demographics.

It is every car manufacturer's goal to have people move up from their entry level vehicle to the more expensive lines. Many Model 3 buyers or potential buyers will eventually "move up" to a Model S whether used or new, creating higher demand, which will utimately help support Model S resale value.

Bottom Line: What the Model 3 ultimately does (in fact has already started doing) for Tesla is bring hundreds of thousands of potential new customers to the table, and that will result in overall sales demand increasing for all Tesla models new and used. The only way that doesn't happen is if one model overlaps another to much.

Short answer, I would not buy the X if it was the same price as the S. I never thought I would say this, but it's true.

I was waiting for the X until I got tired of waiting (twice). I went to check out Model X for my wife and I have to say, I was disappointed. Sad day for me. The X seems much smaller inside than I expected. The middle row (6 seat model) seem rather small. The trunk space doesn't look any bigger than the S (why is the floor so high?). Bottom line, to me Model X looked like Model S on oversized tires with less practical seating and fancy but impractical doors. I was looking to replace a Toyota Sienna, which actually has a smaller footprint (2" longer but 4" narrower) but the X has so much less space inside including seating! Then there are the doors - the front doors without a handle you can actually grab (yea I know, for $4,500 it can be motorized, but even with that it's annoying slow to open - just inviting people to grab onto the glass to open faster - I wonder if warranty covers damage due to using the glass window as a door handle whether because someone wants the door to open faster or to hold the door in a wind - I suspect it doesn't). Falcon doors, really cool idea, but again so slow and during the demo took 2 tries to close - on a perfectly sunny day with no obstacles anywhere near the door (not even people). Van sliding doors are so much faster more reliable (yea I know, couple of inches less clearance but the Sienna is already 4" narrower to it's a wash there). I really was hoping to replace the Sienna with Model X but it's not gonna happen, my wife lives in the van hauling the kids and shopping around and she won't go for smaller space and fancy doors you have to wait for forever - I wouldn't either. ::(

Last edited:
Got my S85D 5 months now. Have logged 12,000+ miles on it and love every mile of it. Used autopilot 99% of the time--even just for one block of stree I'd use it; seeing it can do what it (autopilot) supposed to do really thrills me.

Naturally I am thinking also about my next car and it must be a MX of course, since no other car in existence can replace a MS. Playing around with MX configuration on Tesla site with same configuration of my MS, I found the price difference is just $5,000. Woh, I wished I did this when I ordered my MS, as for just $5,000 difference I think I should get a MX instead.

What comes with this $5K difference are: bigger wheels/tires, better functional doors, better air suspension (5 vs 4 options), more interior space. Oh, MX's second row seat is not foldable and this would be a deal killer for me as this won't allow me to sleep in it when needed like a station wagon.

Assuming the unfoldable 2nd row seat does not make difference to you, go play with MX configuration. If you are thinking about submitting order for a MS may want to get a MX for mere $5K more right away now instead of 8+ later.

I wouldn't buy an MX if it was $5k less than the S. I may be in the minority here given the popularity of SUV's, but I will never own an SUV from any car maker. They are very practical, but from a design perspective, they don't compare to the looks of a coupe or sedan.

I think you get more bang for your $ with the X. Originally I was going to buy an X and my wife an S but after having the S for an overnight test drive, my wife decided on the X. A/C Seats, auto open and close doors, falcon wing doors which are cool and easier to move a child into and out off X of course the extra seats.

My personal list before I pull the trigger on Model S:

S better than X:

1. Still cheaper, especially when comparison S60 vs X60D (AWD is mandatory), $9000 difference, also the price difference will translate to license fee and insurance premium increase.
2. Aesthetics, X has a big ass both my wife and I can't swallow it:
79ffba0be12795011d8195324045a69e_r.jpg

3. S has little bit more range, accelerate speed and cheaper on Premium package.($4500 vs $3000)
4. S has matte seatback, X has glossy setback, fingerprint magnets:
Tesla-Model-X-middle-seats.jpg

5. Model S have small footprint for parking and door opening in garage.

X better than S:
1. bigger view, higher view
2. 2nd row/3rd row for better space (+$4500)
3. Small details:
4. Towing capability.
5. Falcon door, but could be impractical and gimmick for some users.

So I think it's a matter between taste and needs.
plus, I don't understand the reason about X seats better than S, I test drived both, and didn't feel too much difference.

Just realized I didn't answer the question.

No, I wouldn't and didn't. After waiting two years for the MX, then deciding to just wait some more for the M3, we just ordered an MS.

We tried again to like the MX, but there is just too much we disliked. Not the styling, it's OK, just the Falcon Wings and the resulting rear seat configuration. We carry stuff, not people. Rediculous that there is not an option for anything but a schoolbus (and it doesn't even come in yellow). I couldn't even see a way to remove the second row seats and stick them up in the attic where they belong.

It's a CV -- they designed the "U" out of it.

I don't disagree with your value argument. As I mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of them, and I own an X. I've said plenty on that throughout this forum. But that wasn't your initial argument with which I took issue - that argument: "Look at the automatic opening doors. Anytime you have something like that it's bound to fail," I still think has problems.

Yeah, it could have used a re-write. But, that's the story of my life. :p

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo and ohmman