Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy the N2itive Alignment kit for your Model X to fix shudder and tire wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I’ve read you can’t set camber correct for low height. Need 3rd party. Hence the subject of this thread.
AFAIK, while camber is fixed, all alignment geometry changes based on height with Tesla's adjustable suspension setup. As such, getting the toe set to be correct in low can alleviate wear in spite of the fixed camber in at least some cases.

Reactions: mswlogo
AFAIK, while camber is fixed, all alignment geometry changes based on height with Tesla's adjustable suspension setup. As such, getting the toe set to be correct in low can alleviate wear in spite of the fixed camber in at least some cases.

Alignment is made up of many things: toe, camber, caster, ride height, etc. You would align the car in the ride level you most frequently use. Toe will eat tires most quickly, of all of the alignment components. Camber is next.

The "lowering links" which are simply a threaded, adjustable rod. Changing the length allows you to trick the car into thinking it is at the "correct" height. The car can only be set to stay in standard, or low. Many people with lowering rods will use standard as a "low" setting, and low, and very low as an even lower setting.
You say "many people" here, and mention the suspension settings, implying these people are Tesla owners. Do you know whether any of these people can confirm that EAP and/or FSD beta function fine with the lowering links installed? I ask because the forward facing camera has a pre-calibration pitch verification procedure that must be performed anytime it is removed and replaced (such as during a windshield replacement). The service manual indicates it should be performed with suspension at standard height, so I'm wondering whether the tolerance is so tight that the lowering link height adjustment would likely throw the pitch off for all suspension settings (or conversely, perhaps if there's any reason pitch wouldn't be a problem until/unless that procedure was performed at standard height under the influence of said links).

You say "many people" here, and mention the suspension settings, implying these people are Tesla owners. Do you know whether any of these people can confirm that EAP and/or FSD beta function fine with the lowering links installed? I ask because the forward facing camera has a pre-calibration pitch verification procedure that must be performed anytime it is removed and replaced (such as during a windshield replacement). The service manual indicates it should be performed with suspension at standard height, so I'm wondering whether the tolerance is so tight that the lowering link height adjustment would likely throw the pitch off for all suspension settings (or conversely, perhaps if there's any reason pitch wouldn't be a problem until/unless that procedure was performed at standard height under the influence of said links).
A low tesla does not ruin FSD/EAP/AP camera calibration. You’ll be ok.

No idea if about the links and EAP/FSD, but I do know Tesla aligns in low and you can drive in very low. Beyond that, I'm nit sure.

Reactions: buckets0fun
From what I’ve read you can’t set camber correct for low height. Need 3rd party. Hence the subject of this thread.
Just got a used Tesla X, did not know any of this but I am learning! I noticed extreme rear inner tire wear to threads, while outer looks new. Based on the above what should I do?
1. New tires - which?
2. Alignment by Tesla - any special guidance or ways they can minimize the shudder and inner tire wear?
3. Ride height to standard (not too high, not too low)
4. If replacing tires too soon, then buy N2ititive camber and toe arms for rear? And have a local shop install? Have people found that solved it?

2. Alignment by Tesla - any special guidance or ways they can minimize the shudder and inner tire wear?
3. Ride height to standard (not too high, not too low)
The catch here is that Tesla now recommends you run in Always Low to avoid the shudder issue. The post he was replying to even alludes to this, the service center said to put it in low but then refused to align it in low (this matches my experience). Some people say their service centers will align in low, but the if you want to avoid the shudder, you don't want to run in standard height regardless, so having Tesla align it may not be beneficial at all. The n2itive kit instructions include alignment recommendations, but I cannot speak to whether or not such alignment criteria would be useful (to the extent that they are even achievable) without said kit.

As I don't know which model year you purchased, here are some threads that may or may not be relevant in cas you need more information on the shudder issue: