Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy the N2itive Alignment kit for your Model X to fix shudder and tire wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MX with over 110,000 kms. Love everything about this car except the tire wear in the rear and the occasional shudder that has never gone away. We don't drive the car hard so shudder is something we live with. That said we drive it on Low setting as most people recommend to take a little stress off the shafts.

I came across this alignment kit from N2itive Alignment Kit 1 - Acceleration Shudder & Inner Tire Wear - Tesla Model X & S 2012 - 2020 that claims to solve the tire wear + shudder all in one:). Since i'm well out of warranty, was thinking of biting the bullet but wanted to know other peoples experiences. I have seen only a few reviews.

Does one really need the lowering arms in Alignment Kit 1 or could I just get away with Alignment Kit 2 ? Want to ensure both shudder and tire wear are fixed.

Reactions: cpaull
I posted this in another forum but it also applies here and gives folks out of warranty another option to consider. The only modification that I have done to my car was during last July, I had the N2itive’s Alignment Kit 1 installed which got rid of the shudder, and also lowers the car about 1” in standard without wearing the inside of the tires. The shudder issue is caused by the drive shafts being at too large of an angle from the wheel to the gear box, which destroys the CV joints. No different than when as a kid I put a lift kit in my pickup, but ended up destroying the universal joints in a short time. So to avoid this happening, you can lower the car to reduce this angle, but then the car will wear out the inside of the tires very quickly but the outside tread looks like no wear. So this kit replaces the linkage in both rear wheels so the camber can be adjusted and the lowering links are installed at all 4 wheels. I had to drive 400 miles to the coast to a shop to do this install and align the car and the first thing I noticed after installing the kit and aligning the car is my WH-Mile improved quite a bit, any where from 280 - 325 WH-Mile . I attached the alignment sheet showing the alignment before the kit was installed and not able to adjust the camber. (A side note, I had the Tesla shop align the car right before I drove to the coast in the hopes this would reduce the wear on my tires) and the bottom of the page shows after the kit was installed and the final alignment. Hope the link works. Please let me know if it doesn't.

Attachments

• True Line aignment 7-15-2021 - Copy.pdf
    325.4 KB · Views: 405
I'm a bit of suspension newbie but what confuses me is why you need the lift kit from N2itive to drop 1" in standard vs. just running it in factory low without lift kit? Doesn't that achieve the same angle of drive shaft etc / impact on shudder? I get the alignment kit being needed to fix camber. My local Tesla mechanic has been having custom arms machined to fix camber that are not adjustable but very similar to OEM/factory arms just a touch longer. Going to him for alignment tomorrow as Tesla will only align in standard height which doesn't help me.

I'm a bit of suspension newbie but what confuses me is why you need the lift kit from N2itive to drop 1" in standard vs. just running it in factory low without lift kit? Doesn't that achieve the same angle of drive shaft etc / impact on shudder? I get the alignment kit being needed to fix camber. My local Tesla mechanic has been having custom arms machined to fix camber that are not adjustable but very similar to OEM/factory arms just a touch longer. Going to him for alignment tomorrow as Tesla will only align in standard height which doesn't help me.

Telsa will align the car in low.

I don't know, but maybe this is the benefit of making standard 1" lower...

The "lowering links" which are simply a threaded, adjustable rod. Changing the length allows you to trick the car into thinking it is at the "correct" height. The car can only be set to stay in standard, or low. Many people with lowering rods will use standard as a "low" setting, and low, and very low as an even lower setting.

Some service centers will, others won't. I've asked every time I've had it aligned, and they always refuse. This is why I drive in normal. I'm guessing @tommytuna has similar experience in an obviously different geographical location.

Good to know. I guess Tesla doesn't even listen to Tesla. I swore one of the TSBs stated to align the car in low (obviously to reduce the likelihood of shudder developing)

Reactions: buckets0fun
I have a 2017 MX with over 110,000 kms. Love everything about this car except the tire wear in the rear and the occasional shudder that has never gone away. We don't drive the car hard so shudder is something we live with. That said we drive it on Low setting as most people recommend to take a little stress off the shafts.

I came across this alignment kit from N2itive Alignment Kit 1 - Acceleration Shudder & Inner Tire Wear - Tesla Model X & S 2012 - 2020 that claims to solve the tire wear + shudder all in one:). Since i'm well out of warranty, was thinking of biting the bullet but wanted to know other peoples experiences. I have seen only a few reviews.

Does one really need the lowering arms in Alignment Kit 1 or could I just get away with Alignment Kit 2 ? Want to ensure both shudder and tire wear are fixed.
I used the Alignment Kit 2 on my 2012 MS P85 (Alignment Kit 2 - Inner Tire Wear - Tesla Model S/X 2012 - 2020). Very happy with the results and found Don from N2itive to be very friendly, responsive, and helpful. (Note: since mine is RWD only, I didn't have the shudder issue). Definitely recommend N2itive, MS or MX.

Last edited:
I've got an alignment appointment in a couple days I had to change the tires at 12,500 miles and thank God a discount tire guy got under the car and looked at them because I did not have one clue how bad shape. they were in.
My appointments a couple days after Valentine's Day here's the projected cost does that sound about normal around the country???

Attachments

• 17C58D5B-8DF1-41C5-B1AE-7CA776BB433B.png
    17C58D5B-8DF1-41C5-B1AE-7CA776BB433B.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 682
Reactions: Dcam
I've got an alignment appointment in a couple days I had to change the tires at 12,500 miles and thank God a discount tire guy got under the car and looked at them because I did not have one clue how bad shape. they were in.
My appointments a couple days after Valentine's Day here's the projected cost does that sound about normal around the country???
Same experience here!

Some service centers will, others won't. I've asked every time I've had it aligned, and they always refuse. This is why I drive in normal. I'm guessing @tommytuna has similar experience in an obviously different geographical location.
My SC in Munich stated that could only align for standard height and insisting I drive in low so they wouldn’t have to replace the CV joints a 4th time. Then when they saw how badly worn my inner side rear tyres were warn, they stated they had set to alignment for low. Lets see. I am about to purchase my 3set of new tyres and haven’t hit 30k miles yet…

My SC in Munich stated that could only align for standard height and insisting I drive in low so they wouldn’t have to replace the CV joints a 4th time. Then when they saw how badly worn my inner side rear tyres were warn, they stated they had set to alignment for low. Lets see. I am about to purchase my 3set of new tyres and haven’t hit 30k miles yet…
From what I’ve read you can’t set camber correct for low height. Need 3rd party. Hence the subject of this thread.