TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you charge and park here?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by Bacalao, May 14, 2019.

1. Bacalao

Bacalao Member

Came across this sign at a Charge Point station in a pay to park structure on the UCSD campus last night.

Sign.jpg

Would you charge and park here?

The "UC Permit Required" scared me off. When I go to their website to look for clarification, I see "UC San Diego has installed several public electric vehicle (EV) charging stations." I'm public.

I am in the process of contacting management to get an answer. If I can park there, I'm going to suggest they strike the UC Permit Required verbiage. I'll update later with their response.

• Like x 1
  2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Public does not mean free of listed restrictions.

I think UC does not allow free parking as a general rule in all of its campuses so you have to buy a "UC Permit" to park.

• Like x 2
  3. Bacalao

Bacalao Member

A7595E1F-7DBF-4F04-AF65-79622A78AAA2.jpeg
    @Tam
    No I didn’t expect free. I definitely paid when I entered the parking structure $12

Update
    The parking enforcement manager called me back and confirmed that with the Visitor “Permit” I could have parked in that spot and charged. BTW the rates are $0.15/kWh

We discussed the term UC Permit Required and he agreed it could be confusing to a Visitor. He said if I thought that was bad it’s also confusing for student and staff sometimes. They issue 59 different types of permits!

He promised to discuss it at the weekly management meeting. I thanked him and look forward to my next visit.

• Informative x 1