Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you consider a Bolt?

Would you consider a Chevrolet Bolt EV over a Model 3?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Definitely no

Votes: 250 75.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 56 16.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not consider the Bolt, because I'm looking for a sports sedan, not a mini-MPV style car. If no car company made EVs with the handling and performance of a sports sedan, I wouldn't buy an EV. Luckily one does, because I definitely prefer an electric sports sedan over an ICE one (you would think BMW would, but no).

I would consider a Bolt. I love my Volt, so I have no hang up with GM. Their EV program is solid and they make nice cars in that segment.

Unlike many here, I am not buying an EV as a long range vehicle, that's what my ICE is for. My EV will be a commuter car. My commute is 80 miles round trip which is the only reason I didn't buy a full EV when I was shopping for the Volt. (Couldn't afford a Model s, so that wasn't a factor)

I am sticking with the Model 3 for now over the Bolt, because I want a luxury car similar to a Lexus. That is the only thing I miss on my Volt - power seats, etc. I would have bought an ELR if I had known how much GM was discounting them, but that wasn't obvious at the time (and BMW wanted too much for the i3 REX). Only thing that would push me back to GM is if Tesla decided to make the 3 an econobox of some sort, but I don't think that will happen.

The Model 3 is for the wife. At the moment a Mercedes GLC is the second choice. The Bolt is too small for our needs and not AWD. Aside from that my wife would never buy it anyway because it's ugly.

Safety is another concern as her current car is just ok in the more recently added crash test scenarios. Tesla already stated they will be 5 stars in every category, so we like that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SΞXY P100D and GSP
I live in the Mid-west. There is no CCS network that allows me to take advantage of the vehicles added range compared to much cheaper competitors. GM has said they have not interest in rectifying this.

So, no, I don't like throwing money away.
As a midwesterner, that was a concern of mine as well, but I was willing to monitor developments on the CCS front. What sealed the fate against GM for me was their push to legislate Tesla out of states where it is currently allowed to operate. That tells me that GM considers its products to be inferior. I will trust that assessment.

I would not consider the Bolt because, with the exception of when it becomes available, the Model 3 will be better in every regard, and cheaper. It will be safer, faster, have more range, include auto-pilot hardware, have better charging support and capability, and finally, be able to use the Supercharger network.

I would have purchased a Bolt happily a few years ago, it is what the Nissan Leaf should be now, but the Model 3 will be a superior option to either for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: cdub and GSP
Since I won't really expect to have a new car for a few years, it's really a matter of whether Tesla delivers on its promise. I want a long-distance BEV: aerodynamic for highway driving; charges as fast as the battery can take at all SsoC. A long-range BEV would be my fallback, whether that's the Bolt, Leaf Gen 2 or other.

I drive a Leaf now, and I would never buy a Bolt over a Model 3.

By itself, the Bolt isn't a bad car just like my current Leaf isn't a bad car. My Leaf is an amazing urban runabout/commuter car, and the Bolt will likely be just as adept at the urban commuting role.

However, the Bolt is just as much a local car as my Leaf. Sure, the Bolt's local range may include a few smaller towns further out from the city center, but my Leaf is just as capable of travelling around my entire city and its suburbs without any issues at all. The Bolt has no fast charging network--even if the stations existed in the Midwest, the combo CCS technology chargers are far too slow a speed to make travel viable over renting a gas car or a Tesla. To me there is no way that the Model 3 and Bolt even compare--the Model 3 has no restrictions to long-distance travelling, is convenient enough to replace a gasser, and ultimately the Model 3 looks like it would be a fantastic car at that price even if it had a gas drivetrain. The Bolt looks and feels like a car half its cost, the Model 3 doesn't.

You have my full permission for reproduction :)

No, I really couldn't.

I admire the range. As a GM product, I expect it to ship when GM tells me it's going to ship. The interior will be in line with current GM mid-level cars and should meet my needs. The performance would probably meet my needs. The build quality and safety will be in line with GM's current cars, and would be as expected.

But...
The exterior styling is not to my taste. The whole current crop of midget, stubby hatchbacks is a design style that not only doesn't resonate with me, but I actively dislike. See: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/3comp2-jpg.176191/

With the Model 3, I expect to get far more value for my $35K than I'll ever get from GM. I expect to get a product from an engineering group that's passionate about building great cars, and from a company that's passionate about building great cars, not a company that's building a limited production electric car because its required to. I expect to get a car with performance that exceeds my needs and puts a smile on my face. I expect to get a car with designed safety that greatly exceeds my expectations, and not a minimum-acceptable safety level driven by a bean-counter's cost-benefit analysis. I expect to get a supporting infrastructure that would enable a reasonable trip from my home in Phoenix to LA. And I expect to get a car with an external aesthetic that I find pleasing, rather than jarring.

Ask GM what they'd do with the Bolt if they received 500,000 pre-orders for it. Tesla's answer was "Frickin A, we're gonna have to change our plans to keep people happy". I'm guessing GM's answer would be to cancel 470,000 of the orders because "No frickin way we have any desire to build that many".

It's a pretty easy decision.