Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you consider a Bolt?

Would you consider a Chevrolet Bolt EV over a Model 3?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • Definitely no

Votes: 250 75.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 56 16.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla might end up being first with the more aggressive ramp they recently announced. All those Volts and Spark EVs have been eating GM's credits, which are not limited to EV only.

Tesla will likely have 100k-200k more buyers eligible for the full tax credit than GM and even more eligible for partial credit due to timing of the phaseout and the ramp up of production;

Remember it starts to phase out after the next quarter after 200k US sales so if that occurs on the first of a quarter then 6 months of US deliveries would be full credit, then 6 months at partial credit and 6 months of small credit before phasing out completely. In that time Tesla will be producing a ton of Model 3s each 6 months (250k) compared to GM who plans on up to 10% of that production. Plus Elon already hinted that they would try to maximize the credit (e.g. timing of US deliveries & the production ramp).

There are a lot of answers already here that confirm the reason I submitted a "No." GM won't commit to a charging network, they've described the Bolt as an extended release compliance car, they have no interest in retooling on a mass scale and moving to a forward thinking infrastructure, planning instead to rely on their 100+ year old highly profitable technology, and others.

The best reason I can think of, though, can be summed up in a quote, to which I am unable to attribute the original author due to the number of times it has been repeated, though it was attributed recently to "Fredtesla": “GM is making a $37,500 car that would sell for $20,000 if it wasn’t electric, while Tesla is making a $35,000 car that would sell for $35,000 if it wasn’t electric.”

I had a Volt. It was our gateway car into EVs. For what it was, it was good. I would and am considering the Bolt. Before the 3 was introduced, it was squarely on our radar to replace our Leaf. Since the 3, the only advantage it has is the timing of release. Our Leaf lease ends in July 2017. So, I will need to cover a roughly 6-month (at least) gap til the 3. So we still consider getting the Bolt instead of the 3. But not very likely given how much we love our X after loving our S for 3 years. The 3 is likely going to be worth the wait,even if I need to fill the gap with a beater ICE or bought-out Leaf.

But another factor is that GM continues to fight Tesla hard on the sales model front. It bothers me that they are stifling competition rather than simply try to compete. So, there's a principled part of me that no longer wishes to support GM.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
For me the Model 3 wins. The Bolt would move up my list if it had a better, more upscale design, lower price than Model 3 and access to a supercharger network. Also, a way to order it online would be a plus, not really happy to deal with dealers when buying an electric car..they try to offer me free oil changes the whole time!

Reactions: Zoomit
The Bolt will likely be generally available three or more years before the model 3. I'm not sure if the great interest in the Model 3 actually hurts Bolt sales.

How many cars come off lease in California this december? For those buyers that are somewhat interested in EV, what are their choices? The M3 is not a choice for many buyers.

Reactions: AndY1
The Bolt will likely be generally available three or more years before the model 3. I'm not sure if the great interest in the Model 3 actually hurts Bolt sales.

How many cars come off lease in California this december? For those buyers that are somewhat interested in EV, what are their choices? The M3 is not a choice for many buyers.
3 years? Even the most pessimistic Tesla doubters don't believe it'll be 3 years.

Tesla wants all their suppliers in place by July 1st next year, in order to start production.

3 years? Even the most pessimistic Tesla doubters don't believe it'll be 3 years.

Tesla wants all their suppliers in place by July 1st next year, in order to start production.

Three years for someone deciding they want a model 3 in December of this year.

My personal best case for Tesla is producing a couple hundred thousand M3s in 2018. So I assume reservation holder 450000 will be a 2019 delivery. Hopefully.

IMO the vast majority of car buyers will not wait more than a couple of months for a car. People coming off a lease or who otherwise need a new car simply can't wait.

Three years for someone deciding they want a model 3 in December of this year.

My personal best case for Tesla is producing a couple hundred thousand M3s in 2018. So I assume reservation holder 450000 will be a 2019 delivery. Hopefully.

IMO the vast majority of car buyers will not wait more than a couple of months for a car. People coming off a lease or who otherwise need a new car simply can't wait.

Why is this relevant to the question of if you would want a Model 3 or a Bolt? Seems like you are asking "would you settle for a Bolt if the Model 3 is sold out?" Good question, but a different one.

Hi all -- I'm a journalist who has been lurking here for some time and learned a lot (thanks all).

I'm working on an article for an online pub, and I have a question: Would you consider a Chevrolet Bolt EV over a Model 3? And if so, under what circumstances? (i.e. will consider them equally, might consider if Model 3 is late/expensive, etc.)

Why or why not?

I'd like to be able to quote responses and can use forum handles if need be.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Nobody knows what a Chevrolet Bolt will be, and even fewer know what a Tesla Model 3 will be.

To assume a Chevrolet will be trash automatically, and a Tesla will be flawless automatically is just religion, not technology.

The Chevrolet Bolt will begin retail production in late August. The Tesla Model 3 is not even at the engineering fix point.

Many people who swear they will buy a Model 3 cannot afford a $35,000 car. Those of us who buy cars as toys will buy a Model 3 no matter what it specs at or it's price. But that is not the car buying public, and certainly not a 1/2 million 4 door sedan buyers.

Using the internet to judge $35k car sales in 2018 is sillier than predicting the 2016 Presidential Election results today.

Reactions: Xpress and Az_Rael
Tesla will likely have 100k-200k more buyers eligible for the full tax credit than GM and even more eligible for partial credit due to timing of the phaseout and the ramp up of production;

Remember it starts to phase out after the next quarter after 200k US sales so if that occurs on the first of a quarter then 6 months of US deliveries would be full credit, then 6 months at partial credit and 6 months of small credit before phasing out completely. In that time Tesla will be producing a ton of Model 3s each 6 months (250k) compared to GM who plans on up to 10% of that production. Plus Elon already hinted that they would try to maximize the credit (e.g. timing of US deliveries & the production ramp).
Yeah Tesla will definitely play the numbers to squeeze the most benefit for their customers, and both manufacturers will phase out at a similar time. The main significant misinformation that floats around out there is when writers omit that GM is also going to be out of credits around the same time when they talk about Tesla.

I would consider another compelling EV, the Bolt IMO is not that EV. If there was say a BMW 3 series or Audi BEV with good range and a decent charging infrastructure I would look into it. Unfortunately it seems they don't much care to make a long range BEV that has a decent charging infrastructure so its Model 3 for me.

I would not buy a BMW or Audi/VW at any price.

Poor value, poor service, poor reliability for 2016. It's not like they sell anything worth buying regardless.

And? I'd hate to be seen in one. They stink of 'poser' more than other cars. It's like getting a tat that says "Wannabee" on your forehead.

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and Drivin
I would not buy a BMW or Audi/VW at any price.

Poor value, poor service, poor reliability for 2016. It's not like they sell anything worth buying regardless.

And? I'd hate to be seen in one. They stink of 'poser' more than other cars. It's like getting a tat that says "Wannabee" on your forehead.
It's a good thing Teslas are such good reliability /sarcasm I mean I hope they fix it by model 3 time but you can't just ignore their previous problems.

Reactions: AndY1 and Az_Rael