Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you, could you drive a ICE again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hell no.
I've told this story before, but a colleague bought an Audi S5 for over $100K and we took it for a spin.
I had to fake my enjoyment. Utterly gutless. I actually sneakily looked at the pedals to confirm he was flooring the throttle.

Why oh why do people buy these sh*tboxes when Tesla exists? This guy has a garage and drives 30km/day.

A lot of it is denial, which you can see if you poke around (say) on YouTube videos comparing Tesla to ICE cars (Top Gear for example). Whenever the Tesla beats the ICE cars the petrol-heads all fall back on "Yes, but the Mercedes is better looking" (it isn't) or "You are just a Tesla fanboy" (so what?) or "The interior is too sparse" (too sparse for what?) or "My car makes a better noise" (errrr .. clutching at straws?). In the last video I watched they changed the rules to carefully favor the ICE car, which still only just barely won!

I find all this very odd; here we are with a new technology to make driving even more exciting and fun than its ever been, a true game changer in fact, and the very fans that should be excited about the potential of EVs are all in denial to the point that they insult people who dont agree with them (the last defense of the loser, imho).

When I travel in australia I sometimes rent a car from avis. There’s problems with that. The screen is miniscule. I always seem to spend the first day almost rear ending other cars as the stupid thing keeps going when I take my foot off the accelerator, and I seem to always get out leaving the engine running and the key poked in a hole in the steering column. The gps are useless. During a recent trip to brissy the wife actually questioned if we could have hired a tesla. Then to top it off I had to spend time refuelling. I never spend time charging my tesla’s at home. Plus I had to pay for the fuel. Its free at home on solar.
As for the noise.....thats just Inneficient energy energy loss.
No never going back to a fossil car, but my next electric car may or may not be a tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: ICUDoc
Astonishing how *sugar* a previously-renowned car seems in comparison...
I will do almost anything to drive my car instead of travel in an ICE!
Same.
And when driving the M3 I avoid roads/freeways that get me to my destination too fast ... don't want the drives to end.
Wife has my Octavia vRS, luckily she loves it ... because my adoration for it has diminished very rapidly!

• Funny
Reactions: baillies and ICUDoc
As a daily driver? No. As an occasional fun thing? Maybe. My wife’s convertible 2.8l Z3 is fun to drive albeit slow, loud and clunky compared to the S. Looking for when there is a small convertible fun car to replace it with for her - but I still like old muscle cars etc. Not so much any more for any semblance of performance, but nostalgia. Now even modern cars are like vintage cars to me - not interested in any new performance cars.

A lot of it is denial, which you can see if you poke around (say) on YouTube videos comparing Tesla to ICE cars (Top Gear for example). Whenever the Tesla beats the ICE cars the petrol-heads all fall back on "Yes, but the Mercedes is better looking" (it isn't) or "You are just a Tesla fanboy" (so what?) or "The interior is too sparse" (too sparse for what?) or "My car makes a better noise" (errrr .. clutching at straws?). In the last video I watched they changed the rules to carefully favor the ICE car, which still only just barely won!

I find all this very odd; here we are with a new technology to make driving even more exciting and fun than its ever been, a true game changer in fact, and the very fans that should be excited about the potential of EVs are all in denial to the point that they insult people who dont agree with them (the last defense of the loser, imho).

Spot on....

When I travel in australia I sometimes rent a car from avis. There’s problems with that. The screen is miniscule. I always seem to spend the first day almost rear ending other cars as the stupid thing keeps going when I take my foot off the accelerator, and I seem to always get out leaving the engine running and the key poked in a hole in the steering column. The gps are useless. During a recent trip to brissy the wife actually questioned if we could have hired a tesla. Then to top it off I had to spend time refuelling. I never spend time charging my tesla’s at home. Plus I had to pay for the fuel. Its free at home on solar.
As for the noise.....thats just Inneficient energy energy loss.
No never going back to a fossil car, but my next electric car may or may not be a tesla.

agreed, well actually my next EV will be a Tesla but the one after maybe not? Hmmm, Roadster 2 is bloody tempting though...

• Love
Reactions: Hairyman and ICUDoc
agreed, well actually my next EV will be a Tesla but the one after maybe not? Hmmm, Roadster 2 is bloody tempting though...
I’m committed to electric but not committed to tesla. I’ll buy the best electric car for my needs. Hopefully thats the tesla roadster with air thrusters. That way when petrol heads rave on about their v8 noise, I can tell them about my air thruster noise.
The porsche looks good, but the price isnt convincing with the extra’s I’d want.

I drive the wife's Octavia once a week just to remind me how good i have it. And she left me with no fuel tonight, had to visit a servo for the first time in over 2 months...ugh

In about 3 years or so when there's an electric wagon option that's a similar size then we'll be very interested.

I don't have a Tesla (Skoda vRS owner) but I feel your pain, I have been using a cordless electric mower for the last 15 years or so
but recently had to use a ICE mower on one of my rentals (grass to long and wet)
What a horrible piece of machinery, so noisy, smelly, hard to start and vibrating, glad to get back to my e-mower.

Reactions: baillies
Nope.
Easy.
The ICE-age is over. Unless you like 'em loud AND slow.
Electric all the way; for now, it seems, battery-electric.
Imagine how good the next-gen versions will be!!

i reckon australia will be one of the last high gardens of the combustion engine given the large distances and unwilligness to build a remote charging infrastructure and lack of government interest. europe everything will be electric in 20-40 years im sure.

... there seems to be a unusually high percentage of Octavia (vRS) (ex-) owners here .... !
Maybe we're all tuned to hunting down great drives :D

Both cars are value for money for their performance - just that our latest purchases are in a completely different ballpark!

I think I read somewhere that people who bought a Skoda spent more time researching their car than any other marque. I dare say they didn't include Tesla in their survey haha.

To answer the OP's question, I had a P85D for 3 years and liked it but sold it and bought a BMW M5. I sometimes miss the Tesla and would have an electric car again but maybe a Taycan instead as I like the way Porsches drive. If Tesla did a full refresh of the Model S with an upmarket interior, I'd be tempted but I don't think they can afford it with all the new model stuff going on. I'm working on my wife to get a Model 3 but she just says "I'm happy with my 3 Series..."

I like all cars - with a weakness for sports cars - and I'm also keen on EV's.

• Informative
Reactions: ICUDoc