Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you delay your delivery for a more complete car?

Would you delay delivery get get a more complete car??

• Yes, I would definitely delay delivery

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Yes, but only for certain feature (please elaborate below)

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • No, I want it now, as is and I'll deal with updates later.

Votes: 60 59.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have quite a low production reservation number. I don't plan to defer. I am placing my faith in Tesla that any issues that crop up will be addressed, and that they will live up to their promise of new software features over time. I don't expect a lot in terms of physical updates to the car, but if they were to happen (e.g. an option for folding mirrors, etc), then that'd be a nice bonus.

The only thing I'm truly worried about at this point is the issues with panel fit and alignment that have been evident in the earliest cars. That's the sort of thing that really bugs me (as somebody whose profession is dealing with things that need to be perfect on a pixel level). It's affecting my thinking on color choices, even. So, if my name did come up on the Signature waiting list, I might or might not take the offer, just to let a little more time elapse. (Barring the Sig, I will be waiting for the 60kWh car, so the gap is bigger than it sounds given my reservation number.)

Because of EU deliveries no sooner than 2013, we will enjoy a car with most quality problems straightened out, as well as some features added.
The following compilation is based either on an official Tesla announcement or on conversations with Tesla employees that were reported in this forum (aka rumors):

• keyless entry working (self extending door handles as you approach)
  • power folding mirrors
  • voice control
  • full choice of battery pack size
  • winter tire package
  • hill hold
  • grey leather interior
  • standard suspension
  • 3 phase AC charging (please, don't pick up on this one in this thread)
  • some variant of 4G mobile connection

Last edited:
Hell yes I would wait a few months. The cars I ve seem at the Get Amped events need serious work:

1). Cup holders for rear seat passengers (my passengers in the back have to hold their drink in their hands? Or I have to buy cup holders that hang off the windows? I'd like to see that picture get out in the public. Tesla would have a PR nightmare on their hands..."$100k sedan, cup holders not included"). PS the add-on rear seat console is laughable, awkward, and takes up passenger space...might as well get a 4-seater Chevy Volt and I don't drive over 50 miles anyway).

2) Concealed storage space in the middle console.

3) Motorized retractable mirrors with blind spot detection system

4) Subwoofer too weak. My Hybrid Escalade blows away the tin can sound of even the 580-watt Model S stereo upgrade.

5). I have yet to see a sunshade for the Pano roof. I would wait for this.

Were you listening to satellite radio? 'Cause that would make any system sound bad.

Just in general the subwoofer is weak with the equalizer well set. It doesn't matter the source. I'm almost but not quite an audiophile and appreciate a good system. Perhaps I'm just spoiled with my Hybrid Escalade stock stereo which sounds incredible - i.e. can feel/hear bass without being overly bass-y that I should be wearing gold neck chains. Moderate "bass in your chest" with the right songs. With the Model S 580watt system, it doesnt matter what song is playing, you have to pay some attention to be able to appreciate the lower range (bass).

I would compare the amount of bass that comes out of the Model S system to be LESS than what is experienced with one of those portable Bose sound systems heard from a distance of three to four arm lengths away.

Sorry, I'm disappointed with the vehicle's "creature comforts" and with a few more disappointments not already discovered or mentioned on a $100k+ vehicle, I'd consider delaying my purchase or just giving up the $10k altogether as I'm already locked in.

BUT in Tesla defense, I'd be satisfied with just rear cup holders and concealed storage space within the console. Motorized folding mirrors with blind spot detection and better sounding stereo system is something that I would just have to put up with unfortunately for the life of the vehicle.

One thing that is bothersome is that Tesla diverted precious resources to a rear lift gate (hatch) that has a programmable memory function allowing the user to customize the amount the rear lift gate opens. This is NOT a two story vehicle where rear lift gate height would be important. Is lift gate height really more important than motorized folding mirrors with blind spot detection found in every luxury vehicle? Something is amiss and overly engineered (or overlooked) without the correct design inputs explicitly stated before production and based on real life users. Or again how about just rear cup holders?

Last edited:
Just in general the subwoofer is weak with the equalizer well set. It doesn't matter the source. I'm almost but not quite an audiophile and appreciate a good system. Perhaps I'm just spoiled with my Hybrid Escalade stock stereo which sounds incredible - i.e. can feel/hear bass without being overly bass-y that I should be wearing gold neck chains. Moderate "bass in your chest" with the right songs. With the Model S 580watt system, it doesnt matter what song is playing, you have to pay some attention to be able to appreciate the lower range (bass)
Motorized folding mirrors with blind spot detection and better sounding stereo system is something that I would just have to put up with unfortunately for the life of the vehicle.
After-market sound systems will be easy to add.

After-market sound systems will be easy to add.

This would be an okay solution and I hope you're right, but: 1) it shouldn't be necessary given the price of the vehicle 2) a subwoofer addition would take up cargo space and 3) I'm not convinced that it would be easy given the car's very high tech integrated electronics (ie there doesnt seem to be a simple car radio you can simply jack into. But I am no car stereo installation expert).

In typical Elon fashion he said at some point (I think in a video where he's riding with that Forbes woman in NYC) that (paraphrasing) "if the Model S does not have the best sound system of any car then we're doing something wrong." Well just like a lot of Elon's statements it hasn't exactly lived up to the hype (at least not yet).