TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you drive with a stuck-open charge port door?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by mattmass, Jan 24, 2017.

1. mattmass

mattmass Member

A few weeks ago, I installed a software update. Since then, I've gotten the "charge port door needs replacing" message. I believe a number of other people have been affected by this.

I called Tesla service, and they were like "It's cool to drive in this state, don't worry about it." But, what I did not realize until just this morning is the door actually will not stay closed. It closes for a moment, and then re-opens. I had a road trip planned, but now I'm thinking that I just don't feel right driving hundreds of miles with this thing open the entire time. Service center says they will not be able to get the part in time. Pretty sure I'm just going to rent something for the trip.

What would you do?

2. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

I wouldn't drive in that state. I had some really bad ice and my port wouldn't close all the way, and I was worried about driving like that, I can't imagine all of the road salt, ash, and things that could get in there. I don't think it's worth potentially gumming it up and having any charging issues down the road. Can you keep it shut with a temporary adhesive?

3. wiredprairie

wiredprairie Member

I'd ask the service center (and ideally get it in writing) whether it's OK to drive in that specific condition. Make sure you're clear on what's happening (and include a photo if possible).

If they respond "yes," then drive.
    If not, consider alternatives. Maybe they should provide a loaner or something to limit the inconvenience of not being able to drive the car since they've admitted they can't get the part soon enough.

4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

will the car drive with the door open?

5. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

I've done it. no harm done.

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

I'd just take some packing tape or some other paint safe tape and tape it shut for the trip.

7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Black duct tape.

The car will drive just fine with the charge port door open.

• Like x 1
  8. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I had the magnet , that holds the door closed, come off. I glued it back into place. How thick the glue is matters.

9. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Ditto on the magnet issue. Door was open a couple of days until Tesla service fixed it. No problems.

18 months later it failed again (the adhesive pad they use leaves much to be desired), drove a bit longer this way, again without issue. Glued it myself this time.

10. PeterK

PeterK Model X Owner

If you don't want to put tape on the paint by taping the door shut, leave it open but put some duct or wide masking tape inside, covering the port itself so that no dirt, rain etc. get in.

11. Deans

Deans Member

Tape it shut with blue painters tape until you can get it fixed. The tape will not hurt the paint and is strong enough to hold it shut.

• Like x 1
  12. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Agreed. That's what I used to tape it shut when I glued it (it's important that the magnet be perfectly flush with it's "target", otherwise the car thinks the port is open and won't drive).

Peels right off with no residue....

13. clyjr

clyjr Member

another +1 on blue painters tape...

14. davewill

davewill Member

I'd drive with it...all the way to the service center. Seriously, it sounds like their advice was for when it was only a message...now it's malfunctioning. No way is that OK.

15. mattmass

mattmass Member

Thanks for the advice, all. I'm going to chicken out and rent a car :) I wonder what it's going to feel like to stop at a gas station again...

16. davewill

davewill Member

Whoa! That seems extreme. I'd certainly drive with it before I paid for a rental! I think most of us just meant that we wouldn't just give up and let the SC tell us that it didn't need to be fixed.

17. mattmass

mattmass Member

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't get it fixed. That would be crazy. I just have to leave for a week long trip in about 2 hours, and I'm not in the mood to have any problems along the way. Of course, to each their own...

18. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Drop it off at the service center on your way out of town. Maybe they'll get tired of it sitting there and fix it by the time you get back...

19. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Literally used a Band-Aid to keep it shut once.

20. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

I hope you added some bling to it?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1