Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you drive with a stuck-open charge port door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, I installed a software update. Since then, I've gotten the "charge port door needs replacing" message. I believe a number of other people have been affected by this.

I called Tesla service, and they were like "It's cool to drive in this state, don't worry about it." But, what I did not realize until just this morning is the door actually will not stay closed. It closes for a moment, and then re-opens. I had a road trip planned, but now I'm thinking that I just don't feel right driving hundreds of miles with this thing open the entire time. Service center says they will not be able to get the part in time. Pretty sure I'm just going to rent something for the trip.

What would you do?

I wouldn't drive in that state. I had some really bad ice and my port wouldn't close all the way, and I was worried about driving like that, I can't imagine all of the road salt, ash, and things that could get in there. I don't think it's worth potentially gumming it up and having any charging issues down the road. Can you keep it shut with a temporary adhesive?

I'd ask the service center (and ideally get it in writing) whether it's OK to drive in that specific condition. Make sure you're clear on what's happening (and include a photo if possible).

If they respond "yes," then drive.
If not, consider alternatives. Maybe they should provide a loaner or something to limit the inconvenience of not being able to drive the car since they've admitted they can't get the part soon enough.

Ditto on the magnet issue. Door was open a couple of days until Tesla service fixed it. No problems.

18 months later it failed again (the adhesive pad they use leaves much to be desired), drove a bit longer this way, again without issue. Glued it myself this time.

Tape it shut with blue painters tape until you can get it fixed. The tape will not hurt the paint and is strong enough to hold it shut.
Agreed. That's what I used to tape it shut when I glued it (it's important that the magnet be perfectly flush with it's "target", otherwise the car thinks the port is open and won't drive).

Peels right off with no residue....

Whoa! That seems extreme. I'd certainly drive with it before I paid for a rental! I think most of us just meant that we wouldn't just give up and let the SC tell us that it didn't need to be fixed.

I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't get it fixed. That would be crazy. I just have to leave for a week long trip in about 2 hours, and I'm not in the mood to have any problems along the way. Of course, to each their own...

Literally used a Band-Aid to keep it shut once.
I hope you added some bling to it?

large.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: NOLA_Mike