Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you get another Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
I just got a message that our lease is up next December (yes, 12 months from now). At first, I thought this was really early. But, with cars from any manufacturer taking a long time, and models like the Y taking over a year, I guess it makes sense. So the question is do we lease another 3 LR? What would you do?

Here are a few things about our usage. We don't drive much, we have 4,500 miles on the car in 2 years. This is not due to Covid. We have worked from home for nearly a decade. We find the car fun to drive. 99.9% of the time it is only the 2 of us going someplace.

Thoughts?

Nope. Only need one. It makes a great compliment to my S.
This new 3 would be a replacement for the current 3 when the lease expires in a year. We are not planning on ordering a 3 now. But, if we go for a Y or even some ICE vehicle, we would need to order sooner to get a car by Dec 2022.

The 3 is my wife's car. It will complement the X I will get, if and when they start shipping 5 seater models.

This new 3 would be a replacement for the current 3 when the lease expires in a year. We are not planning on ordering a 3 now. But, if we go for a Y or even some ICE vehicle, we would need to order sooner to get a car by Dec 2022.

The 3 is my wife's car. It will complement the X I will get, if and when they start shipping 5 seater models.

You have plenty of time to make a decision. Model 3 LR vehicles have a lead time of, at most, a quarter. Model Y LR are quoted at 6 months right now (i looked at the order flow last night in fact, and LR was quoted as july 2022, but I am willing to bet it would be delivered to me by end of March, not July, if I actually ordered).

You already have, or will get a model X (or both have and will get a replacement model x), so you already have an SUV type vehicle. The Model 3 is more energy efficient than the Y (which may not matter to you since you dont drive much).

If the question is, would I replace my model 3 with another one, the answer is "Yes", I would, but I normally drive 18k miles a year, although with the shift because of Covid -19 I only drove 6k miles in 2021, and will likely continue with some variation of WFH for the future, so will drive 6-10k instead of 18-20k.

With my 2 kids getting older, our Model 3 feels pretty cramped when we're all in it. I'm very likely going to trade in our car for an F-150 Lightning.

Unless you've already pre-ordered you're unlikely to get one- and even then they took about 20% more pre-orders than they plan to build by 2025 (that's apart from all the reports about dealers adding 10-25k in markup beyond MSRP)

To the OP I guess my question is why are you leasing rather than buying, esp. given the high resale Teslas have always enjoyed

With my 2 kids getting older, our Model 3 feels pretty cramped when we're all in it. I'm very likely going to trade in our car for an F-150 Lightning.
We are way past needing to worry about kids. Plus we should have the X soon.

I have the F-150 Lighting on order, but it appears they are 2 years to quantity deliveries. And my guess is most of the first deliveries will be the $90,000 Platinum edition.

Yes, coming from X and then 3P in march 2019.Its now at 55.000 Km, so I might change either when enough new stuff are in 3P or in "y 2.0".
So I am kindof looking at Y P as an alternative, or a new 3P. If it will be a new 3P, they have to get the hitch on it too.. If not I think it might be "Y 2.0" performance (new battery tech). And then KW V3 on that too, like I have on my 3P.

I bought an M3 LR 14 months ago. It was a retirement gift to myself. I love the car and, at least right now, wouldn't consider any other. However, now that I'm retired I don't know if I want to spend so much on my next car. I've always tended to keep my cars for 10 years, so this may in fact be my last car anyway assuming both of us last that long.

Unless you've already pre-ordered you're unlikely to get one- and even then they took about 20% more pre-orders than they plan to build by 2025 (that's apart from all the reports about dealers adding 10-25k in markup beyond MSRP)

To the OP I guess my question is why are you leasing rather than buying, esp. given the high resale Teslas have always enjoyed
The reason for the lease is they are run through the company we own and with the fast rate of change, I prefer to have the latest tech.

Reactions: Knightshade
The difference is definitely noticeable. I bought it 1 week after my purchase. The best use I get out of it is using it to confidently overtake cars on the highway. I don't try to punch it at the light as that's a sure why to catch the attention of any police car lurking in a speed trap.

We are way past needing to worry about kids. Plus we should have the X soon.

I have the F-150 Lighting on order, but it appears they are 2 years to quantity deliveries. And my guess is most of the first deliveries will be the $90,000 Platinum edition.
I'm aware of the fact I may have to wait a while, and I'm okay with that. The longer I wait, the more money I'll have set aside for a $80k+ vehicle purchase. I'll miss being an owner of a Performance Tesla model but the Cybertruck & X just aren't my style. Maybe some day I'll return to the T badge, perhaps when they make a Performance coupe.

I'm aware of the fact I may have to wait a while, and I'm okay with that. The longer I wait, the more money I'll have set aside for a $80k+ vehicle purchase. I'll miss being an owner of a Performance Tesla model but the Cybertruck & X just aren't my style. Maybe some day I'll return to the T badge, perhaps when they make a Performance coupe.
I believe you'll certainly miss having a T badge after owning an electric Ford! I am pretty confident the service department will get their hands on you regularly. Good luck

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
Nope. Finally switching to the crossover/SUV world, begrudgingly. The limitations of having a trunk are finally catching up with me, and nobody makes a cool wagon that I can afford (Porsche, if you want to make a charitable contribution to me, I'm ok with this…)

That said, I'm not going to buy a Model Y either, I think the competition is finally here and I'm looking strongly at the new Audi. I want a quieter cabin, more adjustable seats, and a nicer ride quality, with CarPlay. Tesla isn't apparently interested in offering those things, and I can live without the supercharger network and a bit of range, which appear to be the only advantages of note.

Reactions: Msjulie
Nope. Finally switching to the crossover/SUV world, begrudgingly. That said, I'm not going to buy a Model Y either, I think the competition is finally here and I'm looking strongly at the new Audi.
Nice looking car the Audi. $165k for the RS version...ouch. My fear is the maintenance costs. I used to have an Audi SQ5 and the maintenance was ridiculous. This is why I love my T...I think over the last 2 years I have spent about $200 for really unnecessary things like tire rotation and filter changes! I just cant see Audi dropping income...they will charge BIG for anything. Servicing will be required I'd wager. Anyway, good luck with your choice

I just got a message that our lease is up next December (yes, 12 months from now). At first, I thought this was really early. But, with cars from any manufacturer taking a long time, and models like the Y taking over a year, I guess it makes sense. So the question is do we lease another 3 LR? What would you do?

Here are a few things about our usage. We don't drive much, we have 4,500 miles on the car in 2 years. This is not due to Covid. We have worked from home for nearly a decade. We find the car fun to drive. 99.9% of the time it is only the 2 of us going someplace.

Thoughts?
No. I'd get a Y, which didn't exist when we got our 3. Better ability to fit stuff in the back.

If you mean the 2 seater coupe that looks to be closer to $250K+. A true limited production vehicle.

The 3 In all trims were good bang for the buck compared to competitors. But after all those MSRP increases there’s tons more options. On the high end I think Tesla still has the best power train. Obviously the supercharger network. But others have better interiors with fit and finish. Depend on what is valued more.