Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you get FSD for a leased car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed an order for Red LR AWD Tesla with black interior and FSD.
I plan to lease it for business.
I read that there is no possibility to purchase the car at end of lease.
My current Acura MDX is 13 years old and still going strong. I typically keep my cars for a long time.
Main reason for leasing is ease of business deduction and my fear that tech is evolving rapidly and if next generation of electric cars is much improved I may want to get a new car.

I like new technology but I am still struggling with getting FSD.
My lease payment will go up by $100 per month so total cost for FSD for me will be $3600.
FSD is still in beta but automatic lane change seems useful. Summon feature seems fun but I may not use it often.

I drive a convertible in summer and so far I haven't had long commute but it can change as I am a consultant.

If I was buying the car it would have been easier to get FSD as I will even realized the value of FSD.
Would you get FSD on a leased car?

My current Acura MDX is 13 years old and still going strong. I typically keep my cars for a long time.
Main reason for leasing is ease of business deduction and my fear that tech is evolving rapidly and if next generation of electric cars is much improved I may want to get a new car.

My lease payment will go up by $100 per month so total cost for FSD for me will be $3600.
FSD is still in beta but automatic lane change seems useful. Summon feature seems fun but I may not use it often.

I drive a convertible in summer and so far I haven't had long commute but it can change as I am a consultant.

If I was buying the car it would have been easier to get FSD as I will even realized the value of FSD.

I have found that FSD has been worth it - I of course, rolled it into the loan for my Y. I find it to be among very best experiences in owning a Tesla. I'd probably also do it for a lease.

I personally would not, although I wouldn’t (didn’t) get it on a purchased car either. I just don’t think FSD is ready for prime time and won’t be for many years. Have you asked about EAP instead? I know auto lane change and summon were part of the EAP package when I bought mine 2 years ago, not sure about the current EAP.

Never. Waste of money.

If you can, depending possibly of your parking situation..., try keeping your MDX, which can be handy
if there is a problem with the MY like you need to leave the car at a body shop which might keep you
stranded for a while, unless renting a car for more than a month is not an issue with your business situation.

About FSD I would recommend it.
I live an area with very heavy traffic and use FSD all the time.
FSD was one of reasons I decided to get a Tesla.
Since your lease is tax deductible, why not get FSD included?

Last edited:
About FSD I would recommend it.
I live an area with very heavy traffic and use FSD all the time.
FSD was one of reasons I decided to get a Tesla.

Sounds like you are using Autopilot not FSD. Autopilot is ok, FSD is a pipe dream (a car that drives your kids to school and hobbies while you can sit on the couch at home/work). If you got Tesla for FSD, you're up for a long wait for delivery. It's not uncommon that it's confusing because Tesla's marketing has been quite confusing. If/when FSD truly comes out, it will be a subscription service, because this way it will better compete with traditional services such as taking a taxi or schoolbus. And you can't transfer your prepaid FSD to that car anyways (you won't keep your car for that long wait).

Last edited:
Majority of people did not think that it was worth it to get FSD on lease.
Leasing does not give me an option to buy at the end of lease.
I was also surprised to see how high the resale value of Model 3 was.
If Model Y resale is anywhere close to Model 3 it may make more sense to purchase the car than lease it.
I have reached out to my accountant to understand Lease vs Buy from tax perspective.

Would you buy FSD in MY if you were purchasing the car?

Majority of people did not think that it was worth it to get FSD on lease.
Leasing does not give me an option to buy at the end of lease.
I was also surprised to see how high the resale value of Model 3 was.
If Model Y resale is anywhere close to Model 3 it may make more sense to purchase the car than lease it.
I have reached out to my accountant to understand Lease vs Buy from tax perspective.

Would you buy FSD in MY if you were purchasing the car?
I wonder if there is a way to buy yourself the car, like a lease company would,
and then to get back from your employer the amount that you would had otherwise paid for the lease,
and also deduct from your taxes every month the amount that you would had to pay for the lease?

So at the end of the duration of the lease, the difference between what you spent to buy the car
and the amount you would have received back, would be the amount equivalent to the end of the lease value of the car.
But you would keep the car instead having to return it?

May be this seem a little bit complicated, but why to be forced to take a lease to get some tax discount,
and not be able to have the same tax discount if you buy yourself a car for your work?

Perhaps a third party to buy the car from Tesla, and lease it back to the OP with the option to buy it at end of lease? But then the leasing company might be on the hook if the OP does not buy it. And that leasing company would want some sort of profit too.