Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you give up 'extras' to go from S85 to P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
texex91, my test drive is this Friday too. I hope that they give you enough time with the car to get a pretty good feeling for it, instead of "Isn't this fast? Now lets go back."

In the mean time I may go see my CA at the dealer I work with to see what he can offer. I'm hesitant because I think that I'll get a lecture about why I shouldn't buy a Tesla instead of why I should buy one of his cars. Heavy sigh.

For the pano roof: I've had one in all of the cars that I've bought as an adult, but I never open them except to vent hot air out for 30 seconds or so after getting in the car in the summer. I hardly ever uncover them. Although I may have adults in the back, the tallest adult I'd have in the back is 5'7". However, I may just think that the pano is the bees-knees on Friday. Who knows. At least I'll have a chance to experience it out in the sun.

Yep you get a whole 15 minutes to drive and decide if you want to spend 100k :smile: If wish they would give serious buyers a little more time.

As far as your car, don't listen to whatever the dealer tells you.

Pano I'm 99% certain I'm leaving off. Thought is buy S85 no pano and drive until Dec-Jan. if I love it, then I will pony up more $$ and load it out with P85, and sell S85.

Have fun Friday. I think my slot is after lunch.

These "what should I buy" questions are really quite crazy. I like to form my own opinion rather than trying to crowdsource my ideas.

I wish that they had a different mix of cars available to drive at their 'driving events' besides a whole slew of fully loaded P85s. They make it really hard to make informed decisions about expensive options. Even the guys and gals in our Tesla studio only have real world experience with a limited set of options. I feel very fortunate to have this forum as a resource to help me wade through the process.

Pano I'm 99% certain I'm leaving off. Thought is buy S85 no pano and drive until Dec-Jan. if I love it, then I will pony up more $$ and load it out with P85, and sell S85.
That's pretty much what we're thinking WRT the Model S vs the Model X. We'll try the Model S and if I feel Lilliputian, we'll switch to the X when its available.

Have fun Friday. I think my slot is after lunch.
You too! Mine is later in the day. I'm looking forward to it.

These "what should I buy" questions are really quite crazy. I like to form my own opinion/…
Isn’t that what such threads are about?

If TMC can help folks feel better about whether or not to equip the car with options like 19’’ vs 21’’, HPHC, Air Susp, Ultra Hi-Fi Sound & Paint armor – I can’t really see the harm.

And plenty of folks seem to be willing to help out…

Last edited:
I would skip the pano roof, it will bake you in a hot climate. Just my honest opinion.

I don't have a pano roof on my car. I got a loaner that had the pano roof and found that I kept forgetting that it was there.
I popped it open a couple times to let the heat out but that was it. It was a warmer with the pano and there was a bit more noise too.

I wouldn't give up my twin chargers though. You might find that those high power charging stations sprouting up like weeds soon.

I've been going through this same thing. But in the end for me it comes down to the options. I sat down, did the math, and even came up with a crazy spreadsheet where I could compare and contrast, plot out payment schedules, and get a real feel for the investment. It all points me to forgoing a P in favor of a better optioned S.

So, if it were you, would you give up 21s, a pano, and twin chargers to get a P85? And, if I were feeling especially frugal, I could go with the minimum+S85 and be 10k under budget. Oh my!

First of all, unless you're taking it on the track, the standard 85 has PLENTY of acceleration. I have never wanted more.

Second, the 21" wheels are a pain. According to most reports, the 21" wheels get damaged by road debris pretty routinely. If you like the looks, have you considered the 19" cyclones? (If you get the 21" wheels, you will definitely need the parking sensors!)

Third, I would get twin chargers. 70 amp AC chargers are starting to go in across the US, although they'll take a while to get to Texas, since they seem to be moving down from Canada. :) You don't need the HPWC in your house unless you're a travelling salesman, but the twin chargers are helpful.

Fourth, the conventional audio is pretty damn nice, because the car is so quiet. It'll be better than a high-end audio system in an ICE car. If you're a serious surround-sound fan, you might want the upgrade, but if you're not, you'll be happy without it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd go for the P85. Go for the driving experience, not the toys. I'd drop the pano first.

Yeah, but you take your car on the track, right? People who take their car on the track should get P85. People who don't... probably shouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla's twin charger reasoning makes little sense to me. That's not to say you should or shouldn't get it; we live in different parts of the country. But I've already taken advantage of it on a trip, plus Tesla stores more and more seem to have HPWCs, plus IMHO it's future proofing. Today--rare to use it except at home (where it's not really needed, usually); "tomorrow" (i.e., in the coming several years)--high powered chargers of various stripes will likely become less rare. (shrug)
I originally made my decision to get twin chargers because Sun Country Highway (which is the primary installer of 70+ amp public chargers) was installing them all over Canada, which is very close to me. Sun Country Highway had no plans to install anything in the US.

Since I got my car six months ago, Sun Country Highway has now moved into the US and installed a charger in Syracuse, NY, very near me.

Now, you're in Texas. It may be a while before the high-amp AC chargers reach you, but at the rate Sun Country Highway is expanding, it'll probably reach Texas within a couple of years. And then you will want the twin chargers.

Now, you're in Texas. It may be a while before the high-amp AC chargers reach you, but at the rate Sun Country Highway is expanding, it'll probably reach Texas within a couple of years. And then you will want the twin chargers.

That was my thought. Just because there aren't any today doesn't mean there will never be. And it was far cheaper to install them at build time.