Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you have bought Model S if gas prices were this low ?

Would you have bough Model S if gas prices were this low?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gas prices are a small factor. Being able to drive on solar power instead burning a limited resource which turns to be toxic in the process is and was the most important reason for us to drive electric. All the other bonuses the Model S (and the Roadster) offers come as a plus which is much appreciated. I'would never change back to ICE, no matter the cost of gasoline. You can't beat charging for free.

Gas savings was a factor but 1) These low prices won't last forever, and I'll bet gas prices will go up higher then they were before. 2) The driving experience is so much better. Would you go back to a tube-type television--even if the tubes were free?

Gas savings was a factor but 1) These low prices won't last forever, and I'll bet gas prices will go up higher then they were before. 2) The driving experience is so much better. Would you go back to a tube-type television--even if the tubes were free?

Agreed

- - - Updated - - -

The gas savings was a factor , but not the main one. And guaranteed gas will go up again
Having no CO2 emissions was probably a big factor. And of course, the experience driving the car. Nothing else drives like it.

Ditto...Agreed

- - - Updated - - -

When I bought the car the gas price was $3.50/gallon.

I factored in gas savings when I did my calculation whether to buy MS...

As most of you mentioned who knows 2 months down the road gas prices will definitely go up..

It needs another category: "I do care about gas prices but I still would have bought the MS". That's my position. My wife has a gas guzzling BMW and I also have a Tahoe hybrid that I will be driving soon over the mountain passes to our cabin for the holidays since the road conditions can be brutal -- and we also have 7 people. I like the low gas prices because it saves me money and slows down expansion of the tar sands and pipelines -- but I like (okay love) my Tesla too!

I asked that question months ago when gas was $4 a gallon. Given the premium cost of the car over a 'regular' luxury car, even if every KW was always free, I was questioning if anyone justified their purchase on cost of fuel savings. I always have thought economically that was not a reason to purchase the car. If you noticed, Tesla minimized trying to sell the car on cost of fuel savings even before the big price drop.

I was tired of being jerked around with high gas prices, low gas prices, gas wars, gas shortages and any other random energy crises.
I picked the middle option because unpredictable gas prices were a consideration. I love performance cars and the Model S has been a thrill.