Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you have bought your Model S if it wasn't electric?

Would you have bought a Model S if it wasn't electric, and instead got 90 MPG?

• Yes

Votes: 33 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 247 88.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andrew

Supporting Member
Mar 11, 2013
Santa Monica, CA
I'm branching off a new thread from here, because I want to start a poll from a question that came up in that thread.

I think it's fair to say, that if Tesla had instead come up with a gorgeous gas-powered sedan that gets 90mpg, does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and requires next to no maintenance, many of the same people would have bought it. For most owners, this purchase is about economics, performance and beauty. The green part is an afterthought.

Brianman then turned that into an interesting question:

If you took away the "EV-ness" of the Model S but somehow kept every other characteristic (like somehow burying an engine of the same size exactly where the motor, inverter, and battery are), would I have bought the vehicle?

Personally, I never would have even considered a car in this price range had it not been 100% electric, and would not have purchased it if it (1) weren't a critical stepping stone in the development/growth of the company/Gen III/mass adoption of EVs and (2) didn't have all the other awesomeness you mentioned.

So... Would you have bought the Model S if it had the exact same specs, but used gas instead of electricity (and got ~90 MPG)?

--

(Mods, please feel free to slap my wrists if I'm mucking things up! I know there's the Why did you buy your Model S thread, but I figured it would be fun to get a poll started.)

Need to really #define "Same" -- we're already in the land of unicorns with 90 MPG, so do I extend that to: the ICE produces so much torque I only need one gear and it has a flat torque curve and instantaneous response. It's also dead quiet. If THAT existed, then, maybe. But how about the ultra-low CG or the insane storage space, or the lack of hump in the middle, etc ... OK, so let's assume all that, too. Then, probably.

Elon has often stated that the only reason he can create a car with these features (green aside) is because it's an EV - he can build a *better* car because of the advantages of the EV platform.

I have a really hard time answering the poll due to the unicorn factor :)

Need to really #define "Same" -- we're already in the land of unicorns with 90 MPG, so do I extend that to: the ICE produces so much torque I only need one gear and it has a flat torque curve and instantaneous response. It's also dead quiet. If THAT existed, then, maybe. But how about the ultra-low CG or the insane storage space, or the lack of hump in the middle, etc ... OK, so let's assume all that, too. Then, probably.

Elon has often stated that the only reason he can create a car with these features (green aside) is because it's an EV - he can build a *better* car because of the advantages of the EV platform.

I have a really hard time answering the poll due to the unicorn factor :)

Yep, that's the idea. The fabulous unicorn super-car is identical in every way, except you put gas in it instead of electricity, and it gets 90 MPG. Still want one? :)

Yep, that's the idea. The fabulous unicorn super-car is identical in every way, except you put gas in it instead of electricity, and it gets 90 MPG. Still want one? :)

And if it's the same price ... well, no -- I'll go EV 'cuz it's better for the environment. Not being able to find gas stations isn't a concern for me. But I could go gas if there were enough incentive. And that's exactly the problem for the market.
Me personally, it'd have to be a hell of an incentive -- I'm fortunate enough to be able to make the better-for-the-environment choice, so that's what I'd do now. 3 years ago (when I wasn't in the same situation)? I'd be convinced (to stay gas) if Unicornmobile were 1/2 the price of the Tesla.

Now that I've been part of the community and learned as much as I have, my eyes have been opened, so *now* I'd make the choice with the environment in mind. It had *zero* impact on my choice 3 years ago when I got the Roadster.

I'll vote once I know about price.

Andrew, Can I vote even though I haven't bought one? (maybe change wording to, would you consider buying Model S if....) My answer would be no. I wouldn't be interested in an ICE unicornmobile.

I can't drive anymore but I started following Tesla in 2008. I wouldn't have been following Tesla if it wasn't an EV made by Elon Musk. He had a vision, and I believe he is one of the few people in the world that can make it happen. I want to see him succeed. No point buying a car you can't drive, but I bought Tesla stock...first stock I ever purchased.

Elon said he wanted to change the world. In order to do that he said we need to get off hydrocarbons both on production and consumption side (hence Tesla and Solar City). He said he believed that if you build a 'compelling EV' people will buy one, so he "set out to build the best car ever made, which would also be an EV". With Model S he has succeeded in his first goal, best car ever. (According to Motor Trend, Consumer Reports, NHSTA, many Model S owners, and anyone that has even taken a test drive...)

No I want an ev, if not a tesla then I would have to go with the volt

i know it's not a pure ev, but better than nothing.

Needless to say I'm very grateful to Elon for doing what he did, the car- the superchargers, it's an amazing future for someone who is in his younger (25) days. Can't wait to see what the future is like for the automotive industry!

I think you need to better define same, so let me make a list: (I know some you answered)

same 0-60?
same handling?
same low center gravity?
same safety rating?
same 100% torque from 0?
same low/no maintenance?
same mpg?
same ability to refuel from home?
same 0 tailpipe emissions? (ghg)
same 0 tailpipe emissions? (toxins)
same cargo space and car size?
same ability to use anything for fuel be it solar/hydro/wind/NG/coal/oil etc? (because remember, environment is not the only reason people prefer electric, there is also sustainability perspective and then there is the independence on reliance on foreign oil that brings us into wars)

Personally I think it would be better to ask if people would have bought a Tesla Model S if it were electric but emitted ghg and toxins from tailpipe but had 5 minute recharge times and 100k stations and 500 mile range. This way you would isolate environmental from other factors.

Last edited:
I would never have made this purchase. I've had solar panels since 2009 and have been waiting for a comfortable, long range EV ever since. Model S is the first to meet those desires. That it's a luxury car, and has over the top additional tech and performance are just extras to me. I was NOT expecting to spend this much. But my desire to travel from electricity I make on my roof drove my decision (pun intended). I feel very lucky to have been able to figure out how to make it work cost-wise.

If there had been a virtually identical ICE car, I wouldn't even have given it a moment's thought.

I think you need to better define same, so let me make a list: (I know some you answered)

Alright, let's wrangle this unicorn:

same 0-60? yes.
same handling? yes.
same low center gravity? yes.
same safety rating? yes.
same 100% torque from 0? yes.
same low/no maintenance? yes.
same mpg? yes (~90 MPG is the equivalent, right?)
same ability to refuel from home? no. (unless you normally fill your ICE car at home?)
same 0 tailpipe emissions? (ghg) no.
same 0 tailpipe emissions? (toxins) no.
same cargo space and car size? yes.
same ability to use anything for fuel be it solar/hydro/wind/NG/coal/oil etc? (because remember, environment is not the only reason people prefer electric, there is also sustainability perspective and then there is the independence on
reliance on foreign oil that brings us into wars) no, it'd be fueled by gas. and what the heck, let's go with regular unleaded instead of premium.

Personally I think it would be better to ask if people would have bought a Tesla Model S if it were electric but emitted ghg and toxins from tailpipe but had 5 minute recharge times and 100k stations and 500 mile range. This way you would isolate environmental from other factors.

I think I'd end up with even more questions if I phrased it that way! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew, Can I vote even though I haven't bought one? (maybe change wording to, would you consider buying Model S if....) My answer would be no. I wouldn't be interested in an ICE unicornmobile.

Yes, Lori, please feel free to vote! :)

(Apologies for my phrasing, didn't intend to exclude anyone. Not sure how to edit the poll after-the-fact, unfortunately.)

I think I'd end up with even more questions if I phrased it that way! :)

While that may be the case, your now not exactly polling people who bought this for environmental reasons anymore. As now people lost the convenience of charging at home.

And these groups get left out:
1) People who want to see an end to wars for oil.
2) People who want a sustainable future.
3) People who want to be self sufficient
4) People who want stable energy costs.

On top of that:
same 0 tailpipe emissions? (toxins) no

falls not only into environmental but health reasons too.

Never would have bought an ICE close to this price.

I only paid such a huge amount of money for this car because I feel so strongly that if Tesla succeeds in all its plans through Gen3 it will catalyze the move from ICE to EV much, much more quickly than otherwise. Those years saved could possibly, IMO, make all the difference in how irreversibly climate change affects the planet.

I spent this much money on the car and invested all my free pension money in TSLA in order to support this company and do my small part in what may be the environment's best chance.