Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you have bought your Model S if it wasn't electric?

Would you have bought a Model S if it wasn't electric, and instead got 90 MPG?

• Yes

Votes: 33 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 247 88.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cup holders, hooks for clothes, no storage, steering wheel does not auto set, I can go on and on but please do not say that you would only buy this car if it had the above. I did not buy this because it was electric as the only reason, yes it was a major reason but it has been said many times over by many of us all the other great reason for owning this vehicle. I love the fact that I charge this car from the sun, so do not have to pay the petroleum companies or the electrical companies. If you have driven this car then you know, if you have not driven this car, do not test drive it unless you are serious.

Finally answered 'No' since the gas Model S would not have all the benefits that I love about the car. In a sense I'm really buying into the TM drivetrain, skateboard and exterior/interior design aesthetic. Without the drivetrain, it would have been a close 2nd to the Audi A7

No.

With the Roadster it was also a bargain. The price of other cars that had (have) similar 0-60 times were much more. The next car that is 100% carbon fiber shelled was twice the price. Something not talked about much was how the Roadster broke the Supercar price barrier.

Um, you're twisting Andrew's question somewhat.

For those that are interested in it because it's an EV, you're making a pretty big leap to assume that it's for "proving" or "cred" or whatever. Put another way, you've twisted it into a "smug only" reason for having an EV.

Exactly. Many anti-Tesla articles (and comments) I've read online seem to espouse this thinking because they can't accept the idea that an electric car could actually be a better car and that people would buy such a car simply because it is better.

Last edited:
I agree, and was leaning that way myself. A co-worker drives a black S7 and it is really nice.

Not for me. I'd still pick a 90mpg gas drivetrain with the gearless torque of an EV (if such a thing could possibly exist) over a conventional 21mpg 8-speed drivetrain. There's always a lag before acceleration. However, I still think it's a bit of a silly thought exercise. The point is that such a drivetrain is impossible with gas, and that's a big reason the electric drivetrain is so superior (in addition to efficiency, which has also neutered by the 90mpg unicorn drive).

Reading everyone's comments has been fascinating - thanks all for voting and for chiming in! It's also been unexpectedly amusing to see who's willing to play along, and who simply refuses to accept this (admittedly impossible) thought exercise.

From now on, every time I slam the accelerator I'm going to yell, "Engage the Unicorn Drive!"

Exactly. Many anti-Tesla articles (and comments) I've read online seem to espouse this thinking because they can't accept the idea that an electric car could actually be a better car and that people would buy such a car simply because it is better.
Well it's fine if you want to make that point, but that (to my knowledge) wasn't Andrew's goal here. Changing the question to "did you just buy it to be smug with the environmental crowd" makes pretty much everyone say "no" automatically, so it wouldn't make for an interesting survey.

Not for me. I'd still pick a 90mpg gas drivetrain with the gearless torque of an EV (if such a thing could possibly exist) over a conventional 21mpg 8-speed drivetrain. There's always a lag before acceleration. However, I still think it's a bit of a silly thought exercise. The point is that such a drivetrain is impossible with gas, and that's a big reason the electric drivetrain is so superior (in addition to efficiency, which has also neutered by the 90mpg unicorn drive).

I pretty much agree. What I meant was in the absence of something like the Model S, I sure do like the Audi A or S7, however not from an efficiency standpoint. For me it's more about cost than actual MPG. For years I looked quite hard at Natural Gas conversions with NG being so inexpensive and home compressor/filling stations starting to come to market. Certain diesels also looked somewhat good compared to my (at the time) existing gasoline ICE in terms of cost per mile.

Well it's fine if you want to make that point, but that (to my knowledge) wasn't Andrew's goal here. Changing the question to "did you just buy it to be smug with the environmental crowd" makes pretty much everyone say "no" automatically, so it wouldn't make for an interesting survey.

Of course it wouldn't. My point is that some of the media and most car companies, don't understand the motivation behind a typical Model S buyer. This misunderstanding is why no other car company has been able to reframe the electric car the way Tesla has. Tesla buyers are willing to pay a premium for styling, performance and revolutionary technology. The environmental piece is a nice bonus, but without the first three pieces in place, a Telsa would be a tough sell.

No, would never consider paying this much for an ICE

The only reason I even considered the Model S was that it IS all electric. I started out searching for an EV, and found Tesla, so here I am, super proud owner of my beautiful Blue S, and loving it!
I would say that the Model S is my Unicorn....
1) never thought I'd find an EV that was not the size of a clown car
2) goes from 0-60 in who knows how fast (I'll likely never find out the true speed on my own, that's too fast for me)
3) is luxury and beauty and super sexy
4) I can drive 300 miles on a single charge??? say what????
Yes, this is a Unicorn!:love:

Tesla buyers are willing to pay a premium for styling, performance and revolutionary technology.

Well... again a generalization. Only your third point was on my list of things I was willing to pay for. Don't get me wrong, the styling and performance are great too, but they were further down my list.

Everybody has their own reasons... and there are many... for deciding on a Model S. This is really the beauty of what Tesla is doing. If, for instance, I don't give a rat's ass about environmental considerations, it doesn't matter because at the end of the day, the car IS a green vehicle.