Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you have ordered Full Self Driving if...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that jumped on board last week with orders due to the jump in delivery time or to get the lifetime Connectivity, would you have opted for Full Self Driving if Elon had announced what specifically was coming in Aug? I WANT full self driving, but I find it hard to believe that FSD will be what we all want it to be while I own this car. I have never had a vehicle for longer than 3.5 years. I have no idea what little FSD feature could be coming in Aug, but it has to be something very small such as summon with turning to find your location or recognizing red lights or stop signs. His little tease almost got me to order it, along with the fact that now a retro add is 5k and not 4k. In the end I was simply at the top of my budget and I couldn't justify the cost for something that I have no idea if I would ever get to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I've never owned any of my cars longer than 3 years neither, but I opted for the FSD for my non-P AWD model 3 when the flood gate opened few days ago. I always want the latest functionality even just a little bit extra over the Autopilot. I would hate myself when that tiny bit of FSD functionality comes out in a few months if I don't order it. No matter how tiny that FSD functionality is. :)

The thing I mainly do (and thus want help for) is highway driving to/from work, so I skipped FSD for now because we have no idea when it will actually have enough features to really be worth it. I'm willing to pay more later once it actually works, vs. paying for possible vaporware.

Once Tesla finally does their coast to coast self driving demo the software is likely to be rolled out to everyone with the FSD option within a few months. But until regulatory approval, you’ll almost certainly have to keep your hands on the wheel and there will be tons of legal disclaimers about it being “beta” and “driver has to maintain control of the car at all times”, just like in autopilot mode. And of courses, lots of YouTube videos of it failing and almost hitting people, bicycles, etc., But over time it will get better, more miles accumulated by the fleet, less driver interventions required.

So my prediction...

EAP auto lane change and smart summon will happen soon (few months)
First release of FSD features will be something simple, like being able to stop at stop signs and red lights (a month or two after EAP features are complete)
Not too long after the coast to coast self-driving demo, everyone gets that version of the software but it will operate in “driver must maintain control at all times” mode. There maybe some geofencing with regard to where it will or won’t work, and some things like finding a parking spot might not be ready yet. Maybe this will happen by end of the year or early next year.
In a few years, once regulatory and insurance issues are worked out, FSD will finally operate in hands off mode.

Reactions: Tedkidd
I purchased FSD on the Model 3 because of the discount and that I know I'd want it eventually. It's the main reason to pay for the latests hardware, otherwise just buy an older than 2016 Model S or something. However, I plan on keeping this until I die or upgrade to AWD or Performance.

Just ask yourself this question: Are you comfortable not having it while I'm on this forum saying how cool it is as it rolls out bit by bit? And then realize it's an extra $1,000 because you thought you could save money?

Do the math. Our interest rate on the loan was about 3.4%. Even if I don't see FSD anything for another 10 years, it's still cheaper than waiting and then buying it.

I do have a question on the definition of Autonomy Levels. Is FSD Level 3, or 4?
Here's Tesla's definition. Autopilot
Here's the def'n of Autonomy Blog - Explaining the Six Levels of Vehicle Automation

I think I'll asking it again on that thread, but though you guys might like to understand what it is.

Last edited: