TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you like to be a rear facing seat passenger in sunny weather?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Trnsl8r, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jive_devil

jive_devil Member

Thanks!

My guess is that it's because a lot of states limit the amount of tinting that can be done on the side/front/rear windows. But that's just a guess.

2. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

It will be an easy test to see how much heat/UV is coming thru and then we can tint if necessary Welcome to TintLaws.com

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I spent a fair amount of my childhood rolling around in the back of a VW hatchback with the family dog. IT WAS FUN!! The jumpseats in the Model S look like a bit of fun, but not something for long trips. The temporary shade things would do fine in the rear window too, since the view is better via the camera or side mirrors.

4. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

tinting = a color that absorbs visible light. The glass looks darker.
    special IR coating = a color that absorbs or reflects infrared light. The effect is not directly visible to the human eye.

5. inkynote

inkynote P1574

At the Seattle Get Amped test drive event we asked about this.
    * IF you order your car with the rear facing seats you also get a heavily UV protected rear window to prevent cooking the kids. If you don't order the rear facing seats, you get a regular window without extra UV protection.
    * You CAN have the seats installed later but it will cost more than $1500 because there will be an installation charge as well. It's not just a pop-in thing. AND you won't get that extra UV protection (unless, I imagine, you also purchase a new rear window.)

It seems like the UV protection would be nice generally for keeping the car cooler on sunny days.

6. Jkam

Jkam Member

Thanks for that information inkynote.

I originally put my order in without the rear seats. After realizing that my youngest son, 6 years old, loves sitting in the third row of seats in our SUV, and that $1,500 was affordable to my family, I called Tesla to change my MPVA. So I added the seats at the very last moment. My Tesla rep basically said he had to rush the order in to the factory, but it would get done. Knowing there is extra UV protection (I live in a very sunny place) makes me feel better about my decision.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

What number is your Model S if they had to rush the order in?

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

They should also make this clearer somewhere in the facts or options pages.

I have no need for the rear seats, but I might be willing to pay extra for the UV protection.

9. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ditto. Especially with that sloping hatch.

10. KBF

KBF Model X owner (formerly Cdn Signature Model S)

Thanks! This has definitely been on my mind. We WILL be taking road trips (hopefully one in October, but only if my Tesla arrives), and with I kids they have to sit back there. I was already thinking about temporary shades, but maybe sunglasses and hats are good enough if the heat isn't too bad.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@NigelM - :)

12. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Good I didn't put anything but I couldn't imagine having 2 different parts for the back glass.

13. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Nice! Road temp here was 104 yesterday and we've got at least another 3 months of this.

14. Jkam

Jkam Member

My number is S#69. I had an update from a Tesla rep. Two days ago, the factory wanted verification of the addition of the 3rd row seats. Tesla rep said that implies that it is in production!

The next question I have is how long does it take to produce a car? I know there have been rumors that they are making one a day, but how may days does it take to build a car?

15. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

Regardless of UV protection, you'll want to avoid driving west in morning and east in the evening if at all possible, because that will put the sun directly in their eyes.

16. BYT_P1837

BYT_P1837 Member

With 4 kids and two of them 1.5 year old identical twins, the Rear-Facing seats are a necessity for me and I like the extra UV protection as well for them!

17. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

I'm happy to hear that there is UV protection in the rear glass but regardless, I'm planning on doing window tinting aftermarket (I asked if this could be done at the factory when I configured and I was told no).

18. strider

strider Active Member

This will be trivial to have done by an aftermarket shop. I will get our Model S done (all side and rear).

19. mlascano

mlascano S Sig #722

Agree. I was planning the same, all sides and rear.

20. andystj

andystj S: P957 X: P337

With four kids including two munchkins, the rear-facing seats will be in use with our S. We currently use similar seats in our Mercedes E350 Wagon. It DOES get warm back there in the Texas summers during the day, and it would be nice if there were an extra air vent for them. Perhaps the air flow in the S will be a little better.

We shove them in regardless, and feed them the line from Friedrich Nietzsche and Kelly Clarkson: What doesn't kill you make you stronger. :)

Andy