Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you like to see better use of the 15" display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the current layout is too sparse and inefficient for my liking....Here's one suggestion. Allow modular and customizable use of the left side:

Original:
screen layout orig.png

Suggestion:
screen layout sugg2.png

What I did:
  • Move drive selector and battery to very top with bigger text
  • Moved speed limit sign next to speed, made it bigger
  • Made speed bigger and outlined it
  • Moved EAP indicators/settings to right of display to allow condensing
  • Added new spots for configurable modules (ie nav instructions, efficiency graphs)
This example is ONLY with playing with the left side!

You completely eliminated the space at the top that is used for all of the "idiot" lights. (Low tire pressure, low brake fluid, headlights on, high beams on, etc.) Where are you proposing to move them to?

View attachment 289140
Good to know. I would have to juggle placement around to allow for them. Maybe the blank square space to the right of the proposed speed display works?
screen layout sugg3.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
I think if they were to ever do a modular design, the left side is the LAST thing they'd allow us to change. It holds all of the status warnings for the car. They'd probably want a large degree of control in order to ensure the driver can see everything they need to maintain positive control of the vehicle.

They need to put a button for the glove compartment back on the bottom row. And put the directions on the left side of the map.

I think if they were to ever do a modular design, the left side is the LAST thing they'd allow us to change. It holds all of the status warnings for the car. They'd probably want a large degree of control in order to ensure the driver can see everything they need to maintain positive control of the vehicle.

They need to put a button for the glove compartment back on the bottom row. And put the directions on the left side of the map.
I would not need the entire left side to be customizable, just let me pick what goes into the 2 proposed boxes (nav, radio, efficiency, etc)

It only shows when you are mapping to a location. Would you want to ask for directions to some place and the hide the directions? You can just cancel and it goes away.
If I have put in a route to a destination, Phoenix to San Diego, I don't need to see turn by turn instructions constantly on the screen. Now I don't have a Tesla so I don't know what displays, I am only going by what the OP pictured.

I hope not! I rely on the lane and exit profile when in unfamiliar territory.

@dgpcolorado You can view the video that @verygreen made showing what he thinks is going to be the new navigation vs. the current and you can see that the large exit diagrams are gone, but they still have lane guidance:

You can start at about 2:30 in if you want.

Note: It is from August, 2017 so it is possible, likely?, that Tesla has improved it since then.