TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would YOU like to work at Tesla Motors? Well.....

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by AudubonB, Dec 7, 2015.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

2. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Elon said in an interview a few years ago that working at Tesla was like being in the "special forces" of automakers, and that people should expect to be working 60+ hours/week. If this were 1995 instead of 2015, I would probably jump at the chance to work at Tesla Motors, but I'm too tired now :eek:

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Wouldn't suggest it with young kids at home...

4. FrankOT564

FrankOT564 Member

When I was single I was going to go for anything. I stayed late at work, didn't even want to come back (why even bother coming home when there is no one waiting for you except the computer (which I already had in my office) and a TV (which I already also had in my office). So basically work -> eat -> bed -> back to work. Right now I got a wife and a kid. The kid wants constant attention, its just way different, I can't imagine coming home late anymore. I want my kids to actually remember their father...

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think if I was starting my career, and had the opportunity to do so, I would jump at it and stay for ~5 years or so. It would be fun, exhausting, and a great learning opportunity that would also look great on the resume.

At this point they can't afford me. :tongue:

6. AudubonB

The reason I snipped that quote was to highlight the 1.5 million applications. How could they possibly service that many inquiries?

7. FrankOT564

FrankOT564 Member

If everyone works 60 hours a week, lets say 14,000 Tesla employees that would be 21,000 employees in a typical company...

8. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Thats not really that many. They've got almost 1,700 job postings on their site right now. Thats less than 900 per req. We typicaly get over 1000 applicants per req, the majority get knocked out by the automated filters and you're left with a 50 or so resumes to review by hand.

9. green1

green1 Active Member

It does explain why it's been said they don't pay that well, who needs to when everyone wants to work for you?

10. AudubonB

What does "not that well" mean? Is that relative to other manufacturing jobs in central California; to software/tech jobs in Silicon Valley; to UAW wages at other auto firms? Am curious.

11. Owner

Owner Active Member

There are lots of interesting companies to work for here in Silicon Valley...

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

I know from direct conversations with Tesla employees that the "relative to software/tech jobs in Silicon Valley" is very much true. We are talking 25-40% less across the full spectrum - base, bonus, equity - of compensation.

That said, Tesla employees are perceived as rock stars in the valley.

13. Rafael

Rafael Member

In SpaceX it seems to be around 75k. Maybe in Tesla it's in the same ballpark.

SpaceX Manufacturing Engineer Interview Experience. Ask me anything : spacex
    "They were saying it was about 75k + stock options. This is not bad. I believe the likes of boeing and lockheed would pay above 80k for someone with 2+ years experience."

14. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

Boeing would pay significantly less than 75k for a manufacturing engineer in California with 2 years of experience.

15. cpa

cpa Member

I have been a licensed bean-counter for over 35 years, so am used to being "in the loop" with everything so I can make proper accounting/income tax/disclosure/compliance decisions. Generally, in less-than-mature companies, the accounting department is looked upon as the red-headed stepchild, and not as an integral part of a developing company. Companies in this stage try to spend as little as possible on the accounting department, whether VP, controller or payroll clerk. It has been my experience in having some engineers and physicists and software types as individual tax clients (granted, not a large sample size, but it is the only one that I have!) that their brilliance in their fields eclipses a lot of the mundane tasks that are necessary for others to do their respective jobs.

So, no, I probably would not want to work for Tesla at this stage of both my life and Tesla's life. :smile:

16. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

17. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

I worked at Boeing in the Puget Sound region and they were notorious for paying way below industry standard. Those who checked industry figures knew it, but many lived in blissful ignorance. When the 777 program started winding down, threats of layoffs went around. A lot of people started shopping their resumes around and were shocked to get offers for 60% more than they were making. One guy who had been doing some cutting edge graphics programming got an offer near his home town for more than 100% what he was making. He put in his notice and walked around in shock for the next two weeks. It was especially good for him because the cost of housing in his home town was significantly less than the Seattle area.

It was a good training ground that honed my skills for the rest of my career.

18. Mike Strauss

Mike Strauss Member

If they offered me options I totally would work there. Their stock is relatively stable and if I made enough then I could retire early :) looks like analysts agree https://www.tipranks.com/stocks/tsla

19. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Wouldn't it depends on the kids? :p

20. Panoz

Panoz Member

@FrankOT564: Been there, done that with working late vs. having kids. It used to be that being married with kids was desirable in the working world, it showed stability. Nowadays it's the opposite - companies want unattached employees with no "family" that distracts them from work.