Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you make this trip on a single charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember to turn off Sentry Mode when you park overnight. Sentry mode will use 6% of the battery per 24 hours so there is no need to lose 3 or 4% overnight when you have no way to charge. This is one of those longer road trips where it makes sense to charge to 100% before you leave.
Turning off Sentry defeats it's purpose. I want it on.
I just downloaded ABRP. I think it's too optimistic. I made a round trip to Denver today and the battery went down from 82% to 38%. Yes, most of it was freeway average speed about 75mph and the battery went down 44%. We have a 50 degree weather today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211221-164707_ABRP.jpg
    Screenshot_20211221-164707_ABRP.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 61
As others have suggested, ABRP is a great tool for getting your confidence up that you have the range you'll need.

FYI, it takes about 7 kWh to raise 2.5 tons (your car) up 3,500 feet. And you will re-coup some of this on the trip home.
This is a very useful info! If the climb only takes about 10% of the charge I can live with it. Also I'm glad that the way back is downhill.

I don't think the driver will have any problem but if we knew the exact towns in Colorado, it would be easier for us all to figure out. Often when we go to the mountains, it is almost all "downhill" on the drive back to the Denver metro area. If we are in Silverthorne, for example, once we go through Eisenhower Tunnel, we barely use any energy for the 50 mile drive home. If we're up in Black Hawk, we're able to gain energy for most of the 30 mile trip back home.

Also, the OP shouldn't hesitate to charge to 100% so that they leave with the maximum charge possible.

Well then that settles it, if you don't have cell service you won't wake the car up by checking on it with your phone app. Good for the car. Make sure you bring an extra key card!

I have driven 70 miles out and 70 miles back in one day (2022 LR Y). I was more than fine. Just don't speed because it eats your battery life. I charged to 90% the night prior.
I'm not worried about the milage as much as 3,500' elevation gain and driving home next day with the car parked outside in 29f temp.

I don't think the driver will have any problem but if we knew the exact towns in Colorado, it would be easier for us all to figure out. Often when we go to the mountains, it is almost all "downhill" on the drive back to the Denver metro area. If we are in Silverthorne, for example, once we go through Eisenhower Tunnel, we barely use any energy for the 50 mile drive home. If we're up in Black Hawk, we're able to gain energy for most of the 30 mile trip back home.

Also, the OP shouldn't hesitate to charge to 100% so that they leave with the maximum charge possible.
Starting in Colorado Springs 80917 and going to Cripple Creek 80813
Overnight trip, forecast temp in the morning is 29f.
I just subscribed to premium ABRP and the app shows only 27% battery loss on the way there. Looks like it's too good to be true.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Starting in Colorado Springs 80917 and going to Cripple Creek 80813
Overnight trip, forecast temp in the morning is 29f.
I just subscribed to premium ABRP and the app shows only 27% battery loss on the way there. Looks like it's too good to be true.
The drive to Cripple Creek is relatively low speed so that's good for EV efficiency on the drive up and you don't use much energy on the drive back. There are multiple Tesla destination chargers and J1772 chargers in Cripple Creek. While you wouldn't need the energy, you can easily charge back up overnight for free!

Theoretically, you only need to get there. Coming back, the worst case, just stand on the brakes all the way downhill - you might even end up with a full battery

(joking of course - before anyone flames me)

Let us know how you get on
I know what mean but the way back is not one long continuous slope. :)
I will post the trip results when back home.