Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you make this trip on a single charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing is ...

you're going to have to do this - for science!
OK. I'm back home. Here are my stats:
- left home at 100%
- arrived at 74%
- left this morning at 66%
- arrived home at 55%

Sentry mode on 100%
Driving between 5&10mph over limit.
Preconditioned the car two times
Overnight temperature 31f
Driving home with 2.5 seats heated.
Local driving only about 5 miles.

It was my first trip to the mountains using our new MYLR. Loved how effortlessly the car runs uphill. I played with AP several times but after one phantom breaking event I decided to continue in manual.

I'm kind of embarrassed now for posting such a simple trip asking if the car could make it.

I always have Sentry on 24x7. If I'm not mistaken it cost only about $10-15/ month in electricity.
If you leave Sentry mode active 24x7 the Tesla vehicle never enters a sleep state. The Tesla vehicle periodically needs to shut down, enter sleep state so that the high voltage battery is disconnected from the Tesla vehicle. The Tesla battery management system can only measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the high voltage battery when the battery is disconnected from the vehicle. The Tesla battery management system periodically, over several hours, measures the OCV of the cells to accurately determine the state of the battery, better estimate range.

If you leave Sentry mode active 24x7 the Tesla vehicle never enters a sleep state. The Tesla vehicle periodically needs to shut down, enter sleep state so that the high voltage battery is disconnected from the Tesla vehicle. The Tesla battery management system can only measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the high voltage battery when the battery is disconnected from the vehicle. The Tesla battery management system periodically, over several hours, measures the OCV of the cells to accurately determine the state of the battery, better estimate range.
Good point. Do you know how often this kind of calibration is necessary. I might put a reminder on my calendar to turn it off for a night periodically.

- left home at 100%
- arrived at 74%
- arrived home at 55%

Sentry mode on 100%
Driving between 5&10mph over limit.
Preconditioned the car two times
Overnight temperature 31f
Driving home with 2.5 seats heated.
Local driving only about 5 miles.

It was my first trip to the mountains using our new MYLR. Loved how effortlessly the car runs uphill. I played with AP several times but after one phantom breaking event I decided to continue in manual.

I'm kind of embarrassed now for posting such a simple trip asking if the car could make it.
How was the regen when the battery was cold? Any issue holding speed down the mountain?

Good point. Do you know how often this kind of calibration is necessary. I might put a reminder on my calendar to turn it off for a night periodically.
I have not read anything published by Tesla regarding the frequency of measuring the OCV for optimizing the battery state of charge algorithm, only that it can take several hours, maybe more to complete. I would initially leave Sentry mode (also Summon if equipped with FSD) off for several days, nights when parked at home, then perhaps once a month.

It would be interesting to know how your actual travel stats compared to the prediction on the consumption screen after you entered your destination in the nav. And also what the roundtrip prediction was in the route pull down on the nav screen
The whole trip was about 7% less efficient than either Tesla or ABRP projection but if you take into account 8% loss for overnight stay, a couple of miles driving locally, and heated seats on the way back then the car was about 2% more efficient than predicted.

I was getting "limited regen" messages but I had enough for my ride. The grade wasn't too steep.
I appreciate the reasonable attitude about that. Every Winter, these forums get a lot of people who are REALLY angry about partial limitation of regen and are adamant to do all kinds of things to get rid of that limitation, because they want the "feel" of the driving to be exactly the same all year round. Meh. It's Winter, it's going to be a bit limited all the time because it's cold, and you'll have some--it's usually not completely gone.

- left home at 100%
- arrived at 74%
- arrived home at 55%

It would be interesting to know how your actual travel stats, above, compared to the prediction on the trip/consumption screen after you entered your destination in the nav at the beginning of the trip. And also what the roundtrip battery level prediction was at the bottom of the route pull-down on the nav screen.

Both are very useful items that are often overlooked when anticipating energy requirements for a trip.

Last edited:
I've only done one long trip so far (DAL --> AUS) and I was a little worried at the start. I kept the speed down a little bit and expected to arrive at Round Rock with maybe 20%. As it was I think I got there with about 30%, so that calmed me down a bit and I made the return journey at mostly 75 or 80 (allegedly) ... I pretty much HAD to because if I went below 70, I had people[1] immediately right up my a$$

I feel a lot better (more confidant) now that that first trip is behind me

[1] including 18 wheelers!!!!!

Reactions: KJD and MY-user
That's why this forum exists, ask, take experimental drives, and feel like Neil Armstrong when you get home. How many EV's have you owned. the whole thrill now the the reinvigoration of a trip, like when you first got your license...getting there should be fun, we for to long have HIT THE TURBO BOOST AND HAVE TO GET THERE....we bring a camper on any trip over 300 miles, I want to stop and visit, let my Catahoula get out and meet people, talk to people that may be interested in an EV, so you can go places. there's a write up, a guy to a 2011 Nissan Leaf from Tijuana to Canada, 3.3KW charger, took him a month. same year a guy took a 2011 leaf from NY to Cali, had to run the 120v brick through some windows at restaurants. GET OUT AND DRIVE!!!!! thank you for posting, we'll be passing through Colorado in FEB. your a huge help.
Steve

Reactions: MY-user