Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you move forward with Buying a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would love to hear your thoughts on my situation. Pros and cons of picking up a 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range in December or waiting until 2024(point of sale credit and not interested in 2023 tax credit).. My order is on HOLD right now for 7 days...
PROS:
December $3750 credit
Current order is $3k less current price
Trade in value for my Lexus SUV is high through Tesla
Free Mobile Charger(currently in transit to me)
Low interest rate through credit unions; already approved
Insurance rate (State farm) would be much less than my current Lexus SUV
Level 1 outlet at my parents house that I visit once or twice a week and I can also upgrade it to the 220 outlet..TONS of Super Chargers and Level 2 chargers less than 1 mile away which are never busy and no waiting times(I went to one and watched Tesla owners back in, plugged in and drive out within 15-25minutes) These people must not have a home charger..This is in my neighborhood at a small strip mall..Why would you use a SC if you have a home charger, right?
Premium connectivity(I forget what they pulled back back in the spring about this, they changed something about it..)

Cons:
NO home charging to plug into at night

Switch from Geico to Statefarm
Selling my place and buying a place with a garage just to charge overnight..(not happening but I added it)

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
I think not charging at home will get very old and annoying. Super chargers are for traveling or for backup not for primary charging. Some do it. If you know will happen in the future (less than a year) that would be fine.

I wouldn’t want to even own an EV without a garage (in the north east).

I think not charging at home will get very old and annoying. Super chargers are for traveling or for backup not for primary charging. Some do it. If you know will happen in the future (less than a year) that would be fine.

I won't be moving anytime soon, not in the next 10 years. Also, I guess you have not seen the FB page for NYC/Westchester where some folks drive out to Jersey for charging.

Cons:

Selling my place and buying a place with a garage just to charge overnight..(not happening but I added it)
Just one minor nit pick here. You do NOT really need a garage to charge your car over night. All you really need is an outdoor parking spot and electricity to that parking spot. For example.

If you park your car in your driveway where is your home charger?

Tricky Wall Charger Install - Stone Detail

Here is one of my favorites.
My outdoor charging box

Reactions: Happy Hippo

Depending of your every day commute, you might only need to charge your EV once a week,
so in this case going to a Supercharger will not be too much of a burden,
especially if you can do some errands at the same time.

Otherwise, if you have a long commute, to be able to charge at home or work
(or from a walking distance public L2 charger) is priceless, especially during winter time.

I would do it, but keep eyes wide open...

Owning an EV without easy charging at home or at work is difficult. L1 charging is so slow that it is not really viable unless you have it at home and can plug in every night. You end up constantly on the hunt for a charge and have to reorder your driving life around it a bit. My daughter is in college with an EV. She has to choose her destinations based on charging spots. She is going to campus every day, so she knows she has opportunities to pick up 40 to 80 miles of charging every day or so. But the range anxiety is real.

I work from home so I use the car for pleasure and locally driving for the most part about 2 miles- 50. miles, not doing road trips ever.

SC are .21 cents to .24 cents near me and there are free level 2 as well besides my parents house which is close by as well to plug into. There are options since I am in a densely populated area.

With this law that is happening in the next several years, many people are not going to leave an apartment complex or their building just to have a place to plug their EV into. It will be very interesting to see what will happen to those who do not have an overnight solution to plug their EV.

A lot of pros that are applicable only now, trade values are currently diminishing and interest rates are raising. $3750 savings point of sale today, there are no guarantees in the future.
Good luck in your decision and enjoy the new car 😂

Reactions: cenwesi
I won't be moving anytime soon, not in the next 10 years. Also, I guess you have not seen the FB page for NYC/Westchester where some folks drive out to Jersey for charging.
And I’m sure they are loving it. I’ve seen a few posts over the years that folks went in thinking they could do it and later sold their car.

You asked an opinion.

I just moved and was building a house 120 miles away. I was back and forth and stayed at the new house when partially built and no charging. Just the few weeks of no home charging was super inconvenient. For a while I used 120V and even that was better than SuperCharging.

What makes EV work is charging at home overnight. At work would be 2nd choice but still not ideal.

I may be wrong, but it almost sounds like your question is not if you should buy a Tesla, but if you should buy an EV.
I would research those level 2 chargers that are close to you. They may be so slow that it's not practical to charge with them.
As has been said, look into the cost the SC nearby. Charging at home is substantially less expensive.
Also what is our commute. Would you need to charge more than twice a week?

There are rumors about the Model Y that Tesla will be changing the steering wheel to a yoke and removing all controls from the stalk (as they did on Models S/X).

Maybe that's ok with you, but that's a deal breaker for me, so I consider that another reason to buy a Model Y sooner rather than later.

I may be wrong, but it almost sounds like your question is not if you should buy a Tesla, but if you should buy an EV.
I would research those level 2 chargers that are close to you. They may be so slow that it's not practical to charge with them.
As has been said, look into the cost the SC nearby. Charging at home is substantially less expensive.
Also what is our commute. Would you need to charge more than twice a week?
My question is about Tesla only. I would not consider another EV due to the lack of charging. I work from home no commute. The SC are .21-.24 cents and the level 2 chargers are free and some you have to pay but are level too speed.

My answer to your thread question is "No", but I believe I have been very transparent with my position that, FOR ME, there is no way in @$!%$!$ I would own this, or any other Full EV vehicle if I didnt have home charging.

People do it, but I certainly wouldnt. I mean, if it was "I will be selling this place in less than a year", maybe, but thats not what you said. I am not some tesla evangelist, who thinks everyone should be driving a BEV. There are plenty of other vehicles, and I truly believe that there is no such thing as a product being the right one for everyone.

Would love to hear your thoughts on my situation. Pros and cons of picking up a 2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range in December or waiting until 2024(point of sale credit and not interested in 2023 tax credit).. My order is on HOLD right now for 7 days...
PROS:
December $3750 credit
Current order is $3k less current price
Trade in value for my Lexus SUV is high through Tesla
Free Mobile Charger(currently in transit to me)
Low interest rate through credit unions; already approved
Insurance rate (State farm) would be much less than my current Lexus SUV
Level 1 outlet at my parents house that I visit once or twice a week and I can also upgrade it to the 220 outlet..TONS of Super Chargers and Level 2 chargers less than 1 mile away which are never busy and no waiting times(I went to one and watched Tesla owners back in, plugged in and drive out within 15-25minutes) These people must not have a home charger..This is in my neighborhood at a small strip mall..Why would you use a SC if you have a home charger, right?
Premium connectivity(I forget what they pulled back back in the spring about this, they changed something about it..)

Cons:

It's a personal question but I can provide my opinion based on your situation.

If you're to get the car now, you're looking at a potential $6750 price different than if you're to wait next year (Not factoring the potential tax incentive for 2023).
Your trade in will likely continue to go down due to it being used from now until then.
You will have to pay for a mobile charge since those are no longer free.
Who knows what the rates are going to be so if you are locked in at a good rate, that affects the bottom line too if you're trying to finance through the entirety of the term.

The cons depends on your driving habits. Since you listed some pros on how to go about charging it, seems like the inability to charge at night is not really a con. Switching insurance is not bad as long as you're not paying an arm and a leg because of that switch. Assuming you're getting preferred rates. You can use the need for overnight charging to motivate you to buy a place with a garage, lol.

Honestly, if you think you'll enjoy the car and have the means to buy the car, why not?

I’ve been considering an electric vehicle for some time but on the fence. Here is my situation and hesitancy or concerns.

Background. We purchased our first Hybrid car back in 2020 (2018 Kia Niro Touring) and get great gas milage. We average about 45 mpg and have a range of 450 – 500 miles on a tank a gas (about 12 gallon tank) and are happy with it all the bells and whistles. We typically don’t drive more than 30 miles a day but is nice when we take longer trips.

Last year we put solar panels on our home that should completely wipe out any electricity cost and is expected to produce some excess with the expectation we’ll own a plug in hybrid or full on EV in the future.

Looking at the MYLR, I placed an order last Friday, but now having some reservations, specifically around driving range and battery degradation. If I am doing the math correctly and follow the charging recommendation, charge at 20% and don’t charge above 80%. That would leave only 60% of that 330 estimated range or 198 miles of “ideal” driving condition. Then we take into consideration of up to a potential 30% degradation of battery after 8 or so years, that takes it down to only 138 miles of “ideal” driving conditions. I know these numbers can be fudged a bit for longer trips can charge to 100% and charged before you hit single digits, but those aren’t the routine charging recommendations.

The price has come down for the MYLR to just under or over 50k base, but for that money I can buy a lot of other really nice all gas, hybrid, or plug in hybrids that aren’t prone to some of the limitations of EV’s. I know it’s comparing apples to oranges and there will be some trade off especially since EV’s I consider to be more technology driven and the rate of change is constant. At some point you just have to jump in, I get it. I also read recently that CATL (major battery manufacturer) had just made a break through in battery density where they are seeing double the range that will be mass produced this year for autos and planes.

Battery isn’t the only concern, I’ve also see a lot users complain about tesla’s build quality being subpar, and various reliability issues.

I can’t be the only one with some reservations but really want to move in EV direction. Any feed back is welcome.

I’ve been considering an electric vehicle for some time but on the fence. Here is my situation and hesitancy or concerns.

Background. We purchased our first Hybrid car back in 2020 (2018 Kia Niro Touring) and get great gas milage. We average about 45 mpg and have a range of 450 – 500 miles on a tank a gas (about 12 gallon tank) and are happy with it all the bells and whistles. We typically don’t drive more than 30 miles a day but is nice when we take longer trips.

Last year we put solar panels on our home that should completely wipe out any electricity cost and is expected to produce some excess with the expectation we’ll own a plug in hybrid or full on EV in the future.

Looking at the MYLR, I placed an order last Friday, but now having some reservations, specifically around driving range and battery degradation. If I am doing the math correctly and follow the charging recommendation, charge at 20% and don’t charge above 80%. That would leave only 60% of that 330 estimated range or 198 miles of “ideal” driving condition. Then we take into consideration of up to a potential 30% degradation of battery after 8 or so years, that takes it down to only 138 miles of “ideal” driving conditions. I know these numbers can be fudged a bit for longer trips can charge to 100% and charged before you hit single digits, but those aren’t the routine charging recommendations.

The price has come down for the MYLR to just under or over 50k base, but for that money I can buy a lot of other really nice all gas, hybrid, or plug in hybrids that aren’t prone to some of the limitations of EV’s. I know it’s comparing apples to oranges and there will be some trade off especially since EV’s I consider to be more technology driven and the rate of change is constant. At some point you just have to jump in, I get it. I also read recently that CATL (major battery manufacturer) had just made a break through in battery density where they are seeing double the range that will be mass produced this year for autos and planes.

Battery isn’t the only concern, I’ve also see a lot users complain about tesla’s build quality being subpar, and various reliability issues.

I can’t be the only one with some reservations but really want to move in EV direction. Any feed back is welcome.
Not sure where you are coming up with your 30% degradation figures but it seems like you are over thinking it. The charge values are Suggested not laws. I charge to 90% for over 2 years and see no decline or issue. Only advice would be to not take everything you read on the internet as factual data.