Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Order One with a Non-Glass Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd rather not have the glass roof. The Model 3 and Y were conceived in So Cal (I used to live there) where convertibles are popular. But in hot regions of the US like TX, AZ, FL, the summer heat can be oppressive. They should at least include a sun shade that can be opened or closed on hot days. Now I need to spend money to tint the roof and likely get an odd fitting aftermarket screen to get me through the 100 degree heat. Not only that but the large hard glass surface reflects noise. A metal roof and head liner would make the car more comfortable, quiet, and slightly more efficient not having to overcome the additional heat load. I have a sun roof in my current car but it is always closed with the sunshade. My wife ordered her car (a Mini) without the sunroof option and we never miss it.

The ultimate roof for a Tesla would be a solar panel roof. It's not going to provide much main battery charging, but I think a few hundred watts would be enough to cover parasitic loads and for those who can't plug into a charger it could help maintain whatever charge they have. It would seem logical for a company that makes electric cars and solar panels and calls itself Tesla that a solar roof on the car would be a no brainer.