Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Order One with a Non-Glass Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that the glass roof has some advantages such as structural strength, but (1) I've had to go through replacing it because of a crack and (2) I rarely look through it. I probably won't remove the rack next time I go on a trip because of worries I might crack the roof reinstalling it (even though I've done that three times).

If the glass roof were an option, I would, reluctantly, not order it.

But since you don't have that option, you'd get the glass roof like all the rest of us. Tesla saves money by having only one kind of roof, not having to supply a glass convertible to one person, a rag top to someone else, a stainless-steel fixed roof to another person, and on and on and on... Since it's not an option, it's cheaper for them and makes the car just at tiny bit more affordable overall.

It's too bad you had problems with your roof before, but the law of averages says you won't have any more problems. They probably did research and found that 90+ percent of owners like the glass roof. My wife and I generally don't notice it, but on occasion it's neat to be able to look up at the trees going by or see the sun shining -- or the moon glowing at night. My first S had the glass roof that opened, and I thought that was way cool, but we never used it. Now we are still able to look out, while the infrared is blocked to lower heat and the car is still gorgeous.

In the meantime, it sounds like you need to get a different roof rack so you aren't constantly breaking your roof. I would imagine even a metal roof would have problems with what you're doing... or you could just put your junk in the trunk -- AND the frunk. If you don't have enough room with those options, it sounds like you might need to move up to a Y or an S. My S is YUGE inside. Just helped my daughter move yesterday, and it's amazing what all you can cram inside.

The best part of the glass roof for me is not looking up and out of it, it’s the light it lets through to the cabin which creates openness and size. I feel that without it, the cabin would be darker and more restricting. I’d get it every time. Actually, I’d opt for a sunroof which could be opened but I understand most who have sunroofs never open them.

As far as the thread question goes, for me, the answer to that question would be "it depends".

It would depend on if the glass roof was an option (thus higher price), or, what trim level it came on. If, for example, the glass roof came standard on a model 3 performance but removing it saved 4k off the price, I would probably not get the glass roof. If there was no discount for removing it, I would take it.

I dont mind it at all, and am actually happy its a glass roof instead of a sunroof that opens. I never opened sunroofs in cars that I had that had them, and that was basically every car I had in the last 15+ years. That was because the sunroof was always part of some package or other that had other stuff I wanted in it (like a premium package, or some other package / Trim level that had a bunch of stuff I wanted.

I dont like sunroofs because I like the car somewhat quiet inside. I dont ride around with open windows (basically ever), for example. Some people do, some dont. I am one who doesnt. the glass roof does give some "airiness" to the cabin without introducing sunroof / additional noise, so I like it for that, but not enough to pay extra for it.

I dont mind it being standard though,.

...(1) I've had to go through replacing it because of a crack and (2) I rarely look through it...
If I have the option, I would choose a metal roof. It's more durable and can get more rocks/debris/temperature punishment.

These glasses are designed to wait to shatter or crack when criteria are met. I've got enough glasses surrounding me, so I don't need one for the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. J and cwerdna
I do NOT want the glass roof. I've mentioned it and why many times publicly (mainly unnecessary risk of cracks or breakage). It was a contributing reason (but definitely not the only reason) as to why I decided against getting a Tesla twice, so far.

Now, I have even more reasons (e.g. Elon's antics over the years esp. w/his Twitter takeover or whatever) but the glass roof doesn't help.

I do NOT want the glass roof. I've mentioned it and why many times publicly (mainly unnecessary risk of cracks or breakage). It was a contributing reason (but definitely not the only reason) as to why I decided against getting a Tesla twice, so far.

Now, I have even more reasons (e.g. Elon's antics over the years esp. w/his Twitter takeover or whatever) but the glass roof doesn't help.
Did I read correctly that you have 4,000 posts here over 10 years but refuse to buy one? :p

In any case, I might have paid a bit extra to have the center panel and the top 2/3 of the rear glass in Carbon Fiber. Might save 25lb up high. That the roof now comes pretty darkly tinted reduces the “airiness” original owners describe, so generally speaking I don’t get much from it. Is it “neat?” Sure. But Id get more excited about CF.

I get that the glass roof has some advantages such as structural strength, but (1) I've had to go through replacing it because of a crack and (2) I rarely look through it. I probably won't remove the rack next time I go on a trip because of worries I might crack the roof reinstalling it (even though I've done that three times).

If the glass roof were an option, I would, reluctantly, not order it.
If you sit in a Model X, then any other Tesla, you will immediately see the benefit of the glass roof. The "X" loses the full glass due to the gullwing doors.
I'm glad the full glass roof was not an option. I may not have been able to afford the features I wanted

I'd rather NOT have the glass roof as well. Here in CO during the summer it lets in way too much heat via greenhouse effect. Currently have one of the sun shades installed on it and the medial half of the back glass as well to protect the kids in the back.

I got a Model 3 again in spite of it but it's a "feature" that made me think twice.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Did I read correctly that you have 4,000 posts here over 10 years but refuse to buy one? :p
That's correct. I've been interested in EVs for a long time, going back to the original Roadster days. I was pretty hesitant to get an S back in the day as it was pricey, the company was on shaky ground, reliability was questionable (and is awful on the S now), etc. Finally got a BEV at end of July 2013, am on my 4th one and have been ICEV-less since end of Jan 2019.

No way I was willing to plunk down $ for a 3 when they were new esp. given how they shipped expensive cars first (IIRC, premium package and LR battery required) besides questions of reliability (definitely not good at the beginning). I've also listed numerous reasons why I decided against the 3 when it came time in early 2019. Basically, why would I want to pay over $12K more for what I ended up getting when it didn't have numerous features that I wanted but were n/a on 3 and was using (e.g. 360 degree camera that I'd been enjoying since end of July 2013, no XM radio, no AM radio, no aux in jack (I had a use case for this), proper wiper controls, speedometer in front of me) and things that I didn't want like a glass roof?

I almost never went on road trips. Last one back then was in 2017 and it was only to So Cal, about 360 miles away. $12K can be worth a a lot of rental car time, gas or plane tickets.

For round 2 for late 2021/early 2022, virtually none of my issues w/the 3 were addressed and the wait times were crazy. I had only gone on one road trip between 2017 and when I got my current BEV, to So Cal again.

I've seen at my work before Elon's recent Twitter antics that some people really hate his guts. Now, I can see where some of that is coming from. The odds of me wishing to enrich Elon have diminished further given his antics.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors
That's correct. I've been interested in EVs for a long time, going back to the original Roadster days. I was pretty hesitant to get an S back in the day as it was pricey, the company was on shaky ground, reliability was questionable (and is awful on the S now), etc. Finally got a BEV at end of July 2013, am on my 4th one and have been ICEV-less since end of Jan 2019.

No way I was willing to plunk down $ for a 3 when they were new esp. given how they shipped expensive cars first (IIRC, premium package and LR battery required) besides questions of reliability (definitely not good at the beginning). I've also listed numerous reasons why I decided against the 3 when it came time in early 2019. Basically, why would I want to pay over $12K more for what I ended up getting when it didn't have numerous features that I wanted but were n/a on 3 and was using (e.g. 360 degree camera that I'd been enjoying since end of July 2013, no XM radio, no AM radio, no aux in jack (I had a use case for this), proper wiper controls, speedometer in front of me) and things that I didn't want like a glass roof?

I almost never went on road trips. Last one back then was in 2017 and it was only to So Cal, about 360 miles away. $12K can be worth a a lot of rental car time, gas or plane tickets.

For round 2 for late 2021/early 2022, virtually none of my issues w/the 3 were addressed and the wait times were crazy. I had only gone on one road trip between 2017 and when I got my current BEV, to So Cal again.

I've seen at my work before Elon's recent Twitter antics that some people really hate his guts. Now, I can see where some of that is coming from. The odds of me wishing to enrich Elon have diminished further given his antics.
For someone who has no intention of buying a Tesla you sure do spend an awful lot of time hanging around Tesla forums.....

For someone who has no intention of buying a Tesla you sure do spend an awful lot of time hanging around Tesla forums.....

I totally get why someone may or may not choose to purchase "vehicle X" over "vehicle Y". Thats all personal, and it makes perfect sense to me, because I fully believe "every product is not for every person".

What I dont get, though, is spending so much time at a website that is dedicated to a particular product or manufacturer, if one has no desire to get their products. If this was a generic EV website, I get that, but it isnt (even though some people try to treat it as such).

For myself, there is no way I would spend 10 years on forums designed around one product if I had no intention of getting it.

Re reading this, it sounds a lot more judgemental than I intended. I am not trying to be judgemental, just somewhat bewildered at the above, because I wouldnt ever do it.