Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Order One with a Non-Glass Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today the wind was strong and something came out of a tree and hit the car while driving 55. Sounded like big rock.

Was a bit concerned that it would mean another four-hour trip to the SC, but getting home I found no cracks (yet).

This is something I'd like to avoid.

I'm okay with the glass roof, but I'd prefer something less vulnerable.

Reactions: house9
For someone who has no intention of buying a Tesla you sure do spend an awful lot of time hanging around Tesla forums.....
I don't spend much time here any more. In the past, I've taken hiatuses of a few months at a time.

As for no intention, my mind was open to it, esp. in Jan 2019 and late 2018. It came up as a possibility again end of 2021 and in Jan 2022 (relates to buyback below and me having no other car). But the cheapest 3's wait was many months long which is a problem when you have no other car and are having a car bought back. Finally received a buyback offer with $ values in early Jan 2022 after months of waiting. I turned it in the day my CA tags expired at end of Jan 2022, to avoid paying state of CA another full year of registration which they will not give prorated refunds on

And, as I said, none of the issues and shortcomings i had in 2019 with the 3 were addressed. But, now w/more of Elon's antics and the potential repercussions if he does succeed in buying Twitter, the possibility has gotten smaller and smaller.

FWIW, I still hang out at two other EV forums even though I no longer have those three EVs (lease return almost 7 years ago, sold used car last year, buyback related to a recall a few months ago). I'm still an admin of one model-specific EV group even though I haven't had that particular EV for almost a year now.

As I've said before, the feedback loop with Tesla is broken. They have a huge backlog and Tesla/Elon seems to have little incentive to listen and fix things like this until it starts hurting sales. Those in the queue, ordering and taking delivery either don't care, don't realize, don't think it's a big deal or don't care enough.
For myself, there is no way I would spend 10 years on forums designed around one product if I had no intention of getting it.

Re reading this, it sounds a lot more judgemental than I intended. I am not trying to be judgemental, just somewhat bewildered at the above, because I wouldnt ever do it.
FWIW, there's a guy on MyNissanLeaf who is a real head scratcher. He's been there since 2011, has over 13,000 posts and still has not bought nor leased a BEV, PHEV or even a non-plugin hybrid (HEV). Yet, he is active, posts stuff about new Electrify America stations all the time. He always has some set of excuses as to why not despite the massive BEV improvements since 2011 in terms of range, charging speed, infrastructure, variety, market segments addressed, etc.

I finally put my $ where my mouth was in 2013. It'd have been earlier if it weren't for me being in between jobs prior to my 1st BEV and not knowing how far my future job would be, whether it'd have EV charging, etc. I had a non-plugin hybrid from 2006 until 2019. Once I got a BEV in July 2013, my HEV often sat parked for months at a time.

Last edited:
I waxed my car yesterday (yes, I'm "old school") and was thinking how nice it was that I didn't have to wax that large roof area 😄

To help with summer heat, I bought these. It's not mentioned but they came with (optional) reflective silver coloured opaque overlays (held with elastic) which totally block all light.

Reactions: JimInAllen
I get that the glass roof has some advantages such as structural strength, but (1) I've had to go through replacing it because of a crack and (2) I rarely look through it. I probably won't remove the rack next time I go on a trip because of worries I might crack the roof reinstalling it (even though I've done that three times).

If the glass roof were an option, I would, reluctantly, not order it.
I have had both with the Model S and would prefer the solid roof to glass every time.

I waxed my car yesterday (yes, I'm "old school") and was thinking how nice it was that I didn't have to wax that large roof area 😄

To help with summer heat, I bought these. It's not mentioned but they came with (optional) reflective silver coloured opaque overlays (held with elastic) which totally block all light.
Waxed mine yesterday as well! Griot’s Garage “Best in Show”! Also installed the Tesla accessory sunshades.

Bjorn Nyland did a test on a car top carrier and had the crossover arms attached by ( I believe it was Tesla?) and the roof glass cracked in 3 out of the four attachment areas..It was on a Model 3 done with proper torque specs.
The Yakima aftermarket rack that clamps onto the drip rails avoids contact with the roof glass that the Tesla branded rack requires.

However, the glass roof seems to be worse at keeping wind noise (from rack and cargo) than the regular roofs in other cars.

I would absolutely prefer to have a metal roof. Even if it cost more, I'd go with it over the glass. I live in a hot climate and I end up putting up sunshades to block the sun so the view is wasted anyway.

One less piece of glass to crack and less worries about putting on a roof rack. Tesla made it a pain to go with a hitch on the 3/S (i.e. potential warranty issues if you put on a hitch in the US) so if you need extra storage you have to go to the roof.

The Yakima aftermarket rack that clamps onto the drip rails avoids contact with the roof glass that the Tesla branded rack requires.

However, the glass roof seems to be worse at keeping wind noise (from rack and cargo) than the regular roofs in other cars.
Of course that makes sense. I will try to find the video. Nyland looked sure it was related to the clamps and pressure.

If you sit in a Model X, then any other Tesla, you will immediately see the benefit of the glass roof. The "X" loses the full glass due to the gullwing doors.
I'm glad the full glass roof was not an option. I may not have been able to afford the features I wanted
The "glass roof" in the Model X is actually they windshield continuing over the front seaters' heads. Seems very different than the panoramic glass roof on the Model S, 3, Y and other vehicles where there is a header separating the windshield from the roof line.

Interesting. I've installed the Tesla rack three times, removing it for long trips. The brackets go under special supports under the glass, but it can be a little unclear whether you have them positioned just right. There are photos online of the receiving supports but it's still worrisome given the consequences of getting it wrong. Also, you have to use a torque wrench because overtightening could be bad.

Glass roof every time! By the look of this thread, I'm definitely in the minority. I'm in SW FL, and the sun is tough in the summer. But for every hour I spend under my glass roof in the hot summer sun, I enjoy an equal hour in the winter where it feels infinitely better than a metal roof. Would I be pissed if it cracked for some reason, of course, but only if and when I cross that bridge.

I'll also likely never put up a roof rack because I love the view of the sky when I do look up, and so does my friends when they ride with me carpooling to golf. I would feel depressed if the glass isn't there. My other car doesn't have glass roof (or sunroof) so it's been designated to be the carrier of my kayaks and bikes.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I’d love to see a convertible 3 and S. It can have a glass, carbon fiber, or aluminum roof.

1654132595338.png

I'd rather NOT have the glass roof as well. Here in CO during the summer it lets in way too much heat via greenhouse effect. Currently have one of the sun shades installed on it and the medial half of the back glass as well to protect the kids in the back.

I got a Model 3 again in spite of it but it's a "feature" that made me think twice.
User name does NOT check out ;)

• Funny
Reactions: mangrove79