Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay 4k for Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and Navigate on City Streets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have FSD with my order locked in at 10K. Now that EAP is available at 6K, I am basically deciding whether I should pay the 10k or just go with EAP at 6K. I will be paying 4k for Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and Navigate on City Streets. I understand that Navigate on City Streets is in (forever) BETA and I won't get that day one and someone figure out a way into the beta program.

You get traffic light chimes in the newer software version but ironically only when autopilot is not on. I find that feature to complement using autopilot on city streets really well and gives you more confidence in the system. My personal bias is that I would keep the 10k FSD over EAP. FSD beta is awesome and it's way more exciting than EAP alone.

I paid an extra $4k for FSD but it was probably not a wise idea.

I’ll start with the usual note: it’s only possibly worth buying FSD if you’re going to keep your car for at least 4 others; otherwise, you should just subscribe.

If you’re determined to get one or the other, EAP is the safer and cheaper bet. If City Street driving gets really good, you can pay to upgrade once it has actually materialized. It might cost you a little more, but you won’t be taking the (probably high) risk that it never gets good.

That said, I was in the same position as you (order from before FSD price raised and thus available for $10k) and I picked FSD. :) I don’t think Tesla can achieve its L4 goals on the current hardware and I have less than 50% confidence that Tesla will upgrade me to better hardware if it is ever available, but I want to be on the bleeding edge of this work and I don’t want a $200 per month subscription to do it.

If you can afford it, you’re excited about FSD, and you won’t be too frustrated about waiting a long time to get into the beta, paying for FSD is probably not the worst possible thing you could do.

Reactions: kriskros91
I think it depends on how long you plan to keep the car. I have FSD now, but if I were to get a new car I would probably just buy EAP and subscribe to FSD later when it adds enough value. The risk of doing that is that the subscription price will increase, but if you only keep the car for a few years like I do, you’re probably saving money, especially since the current difference is $6k.

I'm on the same boat. $10k FSD and $6k EAP. Have been debating whether I should go for the whole bang. I only drive on the weekends and it would seem such as waste. I do keep my car for a long time. My current vehicle is 2009.... Assuming I keep this for 10 years, that's 1k a year, $85 per month.... I live in NYC so I seriously doubt I will ever fully trust FSD local street driving. The roads lines here are irregular and pedestrians are mostly color blind.

or I can put that $4k into PPF wraps and get $6k EAP....

I had FSD in my Model 3 and never used it. It flat out scared me most of the time. I would try it out for a bit whenever a new update came and then stop using it. You have to have the patience of a saint to deal with it.

I traded for a Model Y and didn’t get it and don’t miss it at all. I feel a little better actually haha

I thought I was going to keep my Model 3 for a long time like I did with all of my gas cars. But these cars are tech like phones or computers. I’m going to want a new one in a few years because it will have new features, faster processor, etc. And since fsd doesn’t go to the new car it’s not worth buying to me.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I'm on the same boat. $10k FSD and $6k EAP. Have been debating whether I should go for the whole bang. I only drive on the weekends and it would seem such as waste. I do keep my car for a long time. My current vehicle is 2009.... Assuming I keep this for 10 years, that's 1k a year, $85 per month.... I live in NYC so I seriously doubt I will ever fully trust FSD local street driving. The roads lines here are irregular and pedestrians are mostly color blind.

or I can put that $4k into PPF wraps and get $6k EAP....
it is not my content but there is a guy on YT (Username: AllAboutTeslaY) who tests FSD beta within the city. Interesting watch.