Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I can afford the upcoming Plaid Model S, I will not be getting one because the S is simply too big/bulky (for my taste) and certainly not as fun to drive around as my Model 3. Yes, I’ve driven the current generation Model S.
Of course, the brute power and acceleration of a Plaid S is very very appealing/tempting.

For me, the holy grail would be a Model 3 Plaid that can do 0-60 in 2.3 sec or less. This should be possible with a dual motor drivetrain (because the previously available dual motor Model S Performance trim advertised a 2.5 sec 0-60 time... I think). Of course, I would gladly take and pay whatever Tesla wants to charge for a Plaid tri-motor Model 3.

What say you, TMC community? Would you be willing to shell out $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3? I definitely would...

I don't think I would, to be honest. I hate how gigantic the Model S feels but I love everything else about it. I think I'd rather put it with it being humongous and get all the other advantages vs paying $100k for a faster Model 3.

I was under the impression that a lot of that power came from the Model S' 100kWh battery pack, however, which the Model 3's 80kWh can't handle. Of course, that may all change with the newer 4680 batteries.

While I can afford the upcoming Plaid Model S, I will not be getting one because the S is simply too big/bulky (for my taste) and certainly not as fun to drive around as my Model 3. Yes, I’ve driven the current generation Model S.
Of course, the brute power and acceleration of a Plaid S is very very appealing/tempting.

For me, the holy grail would be a Model 3 Plaid that can do 0-60 in 2.3 sec or less. This should be possible with a dual motor drivetrain (because the previously available dual motor Model S Performance trim advertised a 2.5 sec 0-60 time... I think). Of course, I would gladly take and pay whatever Tesla wants to charge for a Plaid tri-motor Model 3.

What say you, TMC community? Would you be willing to shell out $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3? I definitely would...

Only if the interior design, materials, and build quality isn't that of a $30k car like it is now.

90/100k is too much imo, even for tri motor. I would pay no more than 75k. I would want more than just the raw power for what you're talking about, real premium materials in the interior, ceramic sport brakes, a more M3/M5-esque widebody/venting

Reactions: Phlier
If looking for a new car I might but my P3D+ is only 2.5 years old and still doing great.

Besides its already silly fast. If it was stupid fast I might start driving stupid.

The best part is the tri motor with torque vectoring, so thats the line that would make me consider it. With so much power on tap an E-Diff simply isn't enough. If you can discretely power each rear wheel you will certainly have better time laying down all that power vs just trying to have the brakes trying to harness the beast.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up and Phlier
OP thinks about driving dynamics when driving fast

I think about range, and driving comfort on long trips. So while I dislike large cars in general, I appreciate their advantages on long trips. A 400 mile cruiser is something to think about; the extra 120 mile range in the plaid+ is awesome but not worth $60k to me. When a 500 mile Model S is under $90k I'll give it serious thought.

A Model 3 plaid would not tempt me.

Good feedback, everyone. At a $90-100K price point, I too would expect a significant bump in materials and build quality with a Model 3 Plaid trim. I was sort of looking at the price/performance numbers on the current long range Model S as my baseline. A standard long range S starts at $80K and has a 3.1 sec 0-60 time, according to Tesla’s website. So, I asked myself what would be a reasonable price for a Plaid Model 3 than can hit 2.3 sec or less? That is how I arrived at $90-100K. Yes, the interior materials/finish on the current S are better than on the current 3. However, I would also expect a more premium interior on a Plaid 3, especially at a $90-100K price point. Anyway, I can always dream....

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier
The new specs on the Plaid S says that the new motor design improves speed throughout the range. If they incorporated that aspect, I would be happy with a Plaid Model 3 that costs $75k. I think thats the upper limit for the Model 3 line in terms of price.

Reactions: Payjack
Nope.

Paying tens of thousands just to be quicker than 99.9% of cars 0-60 instead of only 99% of them makes no sense to me.

Now, do a real adjustable/dynamic suspension upgrade with magnetic suspension instead of that garbage airbag stuff and I might be more inclined to consider it.

Reactions: DDHEverything
OP, something that will almost certainly skew your results is the fact that this the model 3 forum, with people who purchased model 3s. Hang with me for a minute.

While there are likely many people who COULD buy a 90-100k car in this section, there are likely many many more who could not. The base price of this car is roughly 40k, give or take. So, while some could afford to do it, plenty wouldnt be able to from a cost perspective.

In the model S and X forums, the base price of those vehicles is 80k ish, give or take. Someone who can afford an 80k car can almost certainly afford a 100k car. Whether they want to or not is a different story. There are plenty of people who purchase model 3s for which this is the most expensive car they have ever purchased. Thats likely not the case for people buying 90-100k model S and X (in general).

So I think your question will be skewed here, because there are likely not a lot of people who would want a model 3 at that price, as they are now punching in a different class so to speak.