Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP, something that will almost certainly skew your results is the fact that this the model 3 forum, with people who purchased model 3s. Hang with me for a minute.

While there are likely many people who COULD buy a 90-100k car in this section, there are likely many many more who could not. The base price of this car is roughly 40k, give or take. So, while some could afford to do it, plenty wouldnt be able to from a cost perspective.

In the model S and X forums, the base price of those vehicles is 80k ish, give or take. Someone who can afford an 80k car can almost certainly afford a 100k car. Whether they want to or not is a different story. There are plenty of people who purchase model 3s for which this is the most expensive car they have ever purchased. Thats likely not the case for people buying 90-100k model S and X (in general).

So I think your question will be skewed here, because there are likely not a lot of people who would want a model 3 at that price, as they are now punching in a different class so to speak.

Yeah, you are 100% correct and bring up an excellent perspective. I am sort of asking the wrong audience for this particular price point. Most in this particular sub-forum have a different (and perhaps smarter, more practical) view on spending especially as it relates to value. Most here will not view spending $90-100K on a Model 3 (or on any type/brand vehicle for that matter) as a good value. I can certainly appreciate/respect that point of view. Perhaps I should have ended my original thread/question with, “If not $90-100K, then what would you pay for a Plaid Model 3?” Still, it is interesting (and sometimes humorous) to see how people reply when posed this type of question.

No agenda or bragging intended on my part. Just got a little bored, so decided to post this thread/question to see how folks would feel about a Model 3 Plaid.

Last edited:
These type of threads have a restricted agenda. Usually either
  1. Seeking affirmation (the most common),
  2. Bragging, or
  3. Ranting
Keep your expectations realistic

Sometimes, yes (I would say "much" of the time). Sometimes, though its just making conversation / interaction / curiosity / wishing. My BS meter is pretty good (not perfect by any means though) and the ones I feel have that kind of slant I usually avoid, unless I have to moderate something in them. I kind of felt this one was just conversation / wishing, though.

90-100k, probably not. ~80k, almost definitely.

Look at any car that has significantly different, multi-tier performance trims and the top tier is usually some multiple (~2-3x) more than a base model. (Ex base Mustang/GT500; base Camaro/ZL1; base Challenger/Hellcat Redeye)

With a Model 3 SR coming in at 35k, I wouldn’t be surprised if a 3 Plaid was priced at 70-105k. I also wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t a significant difference in interior/exterior build quality.

But then again, a typical 3 owner is not in the same demographics as an owner of the aforementioned top tier cars; typical 3 owners don’t value performance to that level.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
OP is on to something. I believe the plan is to release the long awaited $250,000 New Coupe, Some of that technology could trickle down to a ultra performance and less expensive Model 3/Y variant at value pricing to bring additonal volume. Could see tri-motor, trick suspension, wider tires. Would take a ton of volume away from AMG, M3 type buyers.

Reactions: Phlier
Sometimes, yes (I would say "much" of the time). Sometimes, though its just making conversation / interaction / curiosity / wishing. My BS meter is pretty good (not perfect by any means though) and the ones I feel have that kind of slant I usually avoid, unless I have to moderate something in them. I kind of felt this one was just conversation / wishing, though.

Thank you. Yeah, I was just trying to make conversation and do a little harmless wishing for something I know will never happen (a Plaid Model 3).

Perhaps it would be easier (or more acceptable) for some to think about it this way... How many other (non-Tesla) vehicles out there can do 0-60 in less than 2.3 seconds? And, what is the current consumer price on the few vehicles out there that are capable of (or can even come close to) this performance? Yep, you guessed it... a whole lot more than the Tesla. Do a little research on pricing for vehicles in this performance class and you may be surprised. You probably won’t find one under $300K.

So, suddenly, a $90 or $100K Model 3 Plaid that can do 0-60 in 2.3 seconds or less, turns into a real bargain.
This was kind of the perspective I had hoped most people would have/see...
Yes, I fully understand that you cannot base/judge a vehicle and price solely on 0-60 times.

No I wouldn't pay 90k for a model 3 plaid, because it's not a luxury car. The model S is a luxury car. $70k would be an absolute cutoff for a plaid 3 for me. $90k maybe if it had a 500 mile range with the new cells.

Well, I think it goes without saying that any Plaid Model 3 would have the new battery cell technology. That, combined with the much lower overall weight compared to the Model S, would almost certainly mean a range close to (if not higher than) 500 miles for a Plaid Model 3. For reference, the recently announced Plaid+ Model S will have a range of over 520 miles... Crazy and exciting stuff, heh??

Reactions: Phlier
Well, I think it goes without saying that any Plaid Model 3 would have the new battery cell technology. That, combined with the much lower overall weight compared to the Model S, would almost certainly mean a range close to (if not higher than) 500 miles for a Plaid Model 3. For reference, the recently announced Plaid+ Model S will have a range of over 520 miles... Crazy and exciting stuff, heh??

The new plaid S/X uses the old 18650 cells. The plaid+ is going to use the 4680's. They would do something similar for the 3 *if* it happened for cost purposes.

OP thinks about driving dynamics when driving fast

I think about range, and driving comfort on long trips. So while I dislike large cars in general, I appreciate their advantages on long trips. A 400 mile cruiser is something to think about; the extra 120 mile range in the plaid+ is awesome but not worth $60k to me. When a 500 mile Model S is under $90k I'll give it serious thought.

A Model 3 plaid would not tempt me.

CT is 70k, tri motor, 500 mile range, air suspension. And a lot bigger, with a lot more capacity.

I drive my SR+ in chill acceleration mode like an old lady.

I’m sure there’d be a market for something like that, but that’s gonna be a no for me dawg.

lol.

You're in the slow 3, using the slow mode, with the cheapest price, this thread was never something that would interest you.

And a faster 3 would be the best driving vehicle Tesla makes. Till roadster2 comes out.

Oh my friends, you can never have a car too fast or a partner.
There are lots of folks putting 20K crate engines is some old crap car.
So to get this approved by the bank of my partner, it better have more
than a few seconds, if you get my drift. Generally this will cost you more than
the car. That is where the cost comes in, new house, swimming pool and so on.
Well free shots in lockdown.

Reactions: valaeyron