Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay $90-100K for a Plaid Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it would have to have the interior of an S to be worth more money. We just traded our one year old P3+ on another new S. I liked the 3 but it was still the same car you can buy for $35k with more power but for over $60k with a couple options, that’s almost S pricing already. It has to be nicer overall not just quicker. If Tesla built a more upscale nicer interior hatchback 3 and Y with more power and a bit more exterior tweaking they could eliminate the S and X. Few people ever drive on a racetrack so if they want real power they buy a Performance S, if they don’t have enough money they settle for a Performance 3. Having a 3 that can compete with a Performance S and costs as much really doesn’t serve much purpose.

Last edited:
What is depressing me about Tesla is the move further away from drivers. I get it, FSD and all but for it's almost Jekel and Hyde here - a car with crazy awesome performance but moving further and further away from a "driver's car". Sit back and have head snapping acceleration but you're not driving it? Hmm

I know that sounds weird, already my 3 has less driver engagement since no ICE engine/transmission to play with but it handles pretty good out of the box for a family sedan and it's quick and fun to drive. And it's quick :)

The size of the S is too much, a plaid 3 would be too pricy for it's current quality (though mine is actually pretty good overall) - but if the plaid was priced somewhat reasonably AND didn't become more of a self-driving video game...

I covet the Roadster to a degree, but if the new S is the guide I'm less sad I won't ever have one. Old school here, I want a round steering wheel and definitive controls for some of the basics here (turn signals, "gear" selection etc). Lucky for me, rain is not a daily occurrence so the clumsy (sorry it's true) screen based wipers aren't as big an issue as they might be; the previous S won there for sure.

FSD if/when it arrives will be great for a purpose but a "driver's car" - the loss is too much for me.

Long winded answer; depends on price and configuration :)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
What is depressing me about Tesla is the move further away from drivers. I get it, FSD and all but for it's almost Jekel and Hyde here - a car with crazy awesome performance but moving further and further away from a "driver's car". Sit back and have head snapping acceleration but you're not driving it? Hmm

I know that sounds weird, already my 3 has less driver engagement since no ICE engine/transmission to play with but it handles pretty good out of the box for a family sedan and it's quick and fun to drive. And it's quick :)

The size of the S is too much, a plaid 3 would be too pricy for it's current quality (though mine is actually pretty good overall) - but if the plaid was priced somewhat reasonably AND didn't become more of a self-driving video game....
Sounds like fake engine sounds played through the speakers would be exactly what is needed to rekindle that passion for driving!

More seriously, I have nothing against a high-performance version of the Model 3, but the car quality would need to be much better differentiated from the $40k version.

A Model 3 Plaid would need to be more of a BMW M3 and less of a Civic Type-R.

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
Sounds like fake engine sounds played through the speakers would be exactly what is needed to rekindle that passion for driving!

Ha ;). Just let me keep a real steering wheel, real turn signal stalk and the PRND stalk and I can live without a lot of what made my prior turbo charged 4 banger 5 speed fun. The 3 is still way quicker and faster - I was actually looking forward to what they would do with the S (not for me personally, but family) and it looks nice but that "steering wheel" - yuck :) If it were a track only beast yeah ok...

I digress :)

I agree. The only thing that would be nice would be better kick at high speeds. But more off the line is strictly bragging rights, ego or for the track. And to get those insane speeds on the S it's gonna need preheating, cheata stance etc. Not to mention a lot of tires. For routine spirited driving the 3P is more than enough.

at some point, if it’s just a few seconds off the line...and nothing more...than you paid a ton to arrive at your destination a few seconds earlier. Just saying...gotta bring something to the table other than 3 seconds. Of course, everyone’s calculus is different...

at some point, if it’s just a few seconds off the line...and nothing more...than you paid a ton to arrive at your destination a few seconds earlier. Just saying...gotta bring something to the table other than 3 seconds. Of course, everyone’s calculus is different...

You're describing the AWD to P on the model 3. Same vehicle other than the power delivery. And of the people who get the P, half of them seem to want the stealth because the 20" rims have a harsher ride and also are heavier which negatively affects performance.

getting a plaid model of any telsa car is like showing off your gf or wife which guy has a bigger d*ck :) Mostly for self confidence. In real world driving you wouldn't need that much power as daily commuter. I would rather save the money and rent different sport cars during weekend.

If you are youtuber making drag races videos, it may be worth if for short term.

Reactions: valaeyron
What I’d really like is a Model 3 (Model 4?) that’s more performance, sporty, and luxury oriented.

Performance: 0-60 in the 3s range is fine already, what I’m talking about is less body roll, better turning radius. Maybe a tad lower. Sport seats so you don’t slide around so much when cornering. Settings for stiffer suspension and steering.

Sporty: more aggressive external appearance - but not chintzy, don’t just throw a giant wing and superfluous ugly/near-useless nick-knacks on it. How about.. 2 doors? Not all of us have families, most of us can’t afford the roadster.

Luxury: nicer materials, better fit and finish. Model 3 is nice, don’t get me wrong, but sit in a Porsche and then tell me that you can’t immediately tell the difference in the way things feel. Touch the wheel, click the buttons. Even the plastic trim pieces just feel better.

Pull that off and I’d seriously consider that car in the $90k-$110k range depending on how many boxes are checked.

For that kind of money, I’d want more than something that looks just like every other Model 3. Tri-motor and more 0-60 isn’t enough to cut it.

Porche Taycan is high on my potential list (or maybe just get another 911) for next time around but my gripe about the Taycan is it’s a little large-ish. Size appears to be in between a Model 3 and Model S. If the Taycan were sized between a 911 and Model 3... I might not be in this forum! Although, maybe, I’d still be here because the normal and 4S variants weren’t out yet when I was shopping - Turbo / Turbo S are too rich for my blood.

Tesla, do it! Dooooo it! You know you want to!!! :)

Speed does not, but acceleration does.
Actually, acceleration is a much smaller part of the picture than the average speed you maintain over a road trip. Yes, during those few seconds that you're really feeding her an onion as you accelerate to cruising speed you are using more engery than you would if you accelerated much more gradually, for sure. But as a total percentage of the energy used, it is small potatoes compared to how much energy you use to maintain your cruising speed.

Every time you double your speed, you quadruple your drag; you have four times the amount of drag on a car at 60 than you did at 30. Reducing your cruising speed will impact your range far, far more than gently accelerating to that speed.

Total battery size does matter, though, when you're talking about wanting to get to sixty as quickly as possible. The amount of current you can pull out of a battery for acceleration is directly proportional to the size of the battery; you'll have much more current available from a 100 kwh battery than you would a 78 kwh battery. But as of right now, we really don't know how close we are to that limit in the Model 3 Performance. I'd imagine we're getting pretty close, but only Elon and company knows for sure. We could even be limited by the size of the wires, for that matter. There's just too many variables at play to really know what's left on the table for current cars.

Anyway.... there's a reason that Elon put motors that are capable of breathtakingly quick acceleration in these cars; there just isn't much of a range hit for quick acceleration. One thing that Elon is really proud of, though, are the cars drag coefficients. That whole quadrupling of drag as speed doubles thing is really (please forgive the pun) a drag. Getting that coefficient as low as possible *greatly* increases range for any given battery size.

Last edited:
Reactions: SageBrush
getting a plaid model of any telsa car is like showing off your gf or wife which guy has a bigger d*ck :) Mostly for self confidence. In real world driving you wouldn't need that much power as daily commuter. I would rather save the money and rent different sport cars during weekend..

Everyone's math is different here No one needs acceleration even as much as the slowest Tesla. It's about fun and you don't have to use it all the time either

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
No one needs acceleration even as much as the slowest Tesla
Blasphemy! ;)

But of course, you're right. There just happens to be some guys/gals that can't get enough. Everyone has different hobbies, likes, etc., and for some of us, acceleration is a hobby.

Some people view cars as just a form of transportation, and for others, cars = life.

Which side is right? Both. There's nothing wrong with viewing cars as just a thing to get from A to B, and equally so there's nothing wrong with being a true motorhead.

And I won't dis on guys that think cars are just a convenience, as long as they won't dis on me for wanting the fastest, quickest, best handling BEV that has yet to be produced.

Blasphemy! ;)

But of course, you're right. There just happens to be some guys/gals that can't get enough. Everyone has different hobbies, likes, etc., and for some of us, acceleration is a hobby.

Some people view cars as just a form of transportation, and for others, cars = life.

Which side is right? Both. There's nothing wrong with viewing cars as just a thing to get from A to B, and equally so there's nothing wrong with being a true motorhead.

And I won't dis on guys that think cars are just a convenience, as long as they won't dis on me for wanting the fastest, quickest, best handling BEV that has yet to be produced.

I like fast cars as much as the next guy, but there are definitely diminishing returns involved when it comes to power. For me a Model 3 Performance is already silly quick for road use and I'm more than happy with the LR AWD power. If we're talking about dedicated track use then sure why not add some more power. But I'm not sure a Model 3 is a car I would ever buy as a track toy. So I don't see any value in a Plaid version with added power.

Reactions: dinonugget
I like fast cars as much as the next guy, but there are definitely diminishing returns involved when it comes to power. For me a Model 3 Performance is already silly quick for road use and I'm more than happy with the LR AWD power. If we're talking about dedicated track use then sure why not add some more power. But I'm not sure a Model 3 is a car I would ever buy as a track toy. So I don't see any value in a Plaid version with added power.
And of course, you're right! That's perfect... for you.

But not for me. :)

Reactions: Florafauna