Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay *dearly* to have ZERO nag?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suppose Tesla created a safety class that you could sign up for and attend at your nearest service center.
In this class, you would:

- Watch a safety video explaining the capabilities and limits of AP
- Participate in a brief discussion about the content of the video
- Go on a ride-along where the driver demonstrates the content of the video and any potential latest enhancements
- Sign a contract with Tesla which states that you will not engage in 'bad practices' while behind the wheel and will only let other drivers of your Tesla(s) operate the vehicle with the wheel hold alert engaged.
- Sign a waiver that holds Tesla harmless if you are involved in any accident with EAP/FSD engaged.
- Sign a document authorizing Tesla to periodically investigate your DMV driving record
- Finally, sign a document agreeing that Tesla can revoke the privilege without reason or notice.

And... The cost of this safety class is $1800. It is good until Tesla deems that it is not.
Your car(s) will have a specific feature enabled that only safety class graduates have; A feature which can toggle the NAG on or off with a PIN (similar to P2D)
If the NAG is off, it's totally off.

Would you do it?

I get all this for free by keeping my car at firmware 7.1 + to my understanding, it is entirely possible to have the nags turned off on current firmware for a much lesser fee via various people that prefer not to advertise that they can do this.

Having said that, no I would not agree to the following;

- Sign a document authorizing Tesla to periodically investigate your DMV driving record
- Finally, sign a document agreeing that Tesla can revoke the privilege without reason or notice.

I don't trust Tesla to be able to deliver the right *rivet* to fix my car. I'm sure not going to trust them with accessing such private data.

A special class to enable nag-free driving: yep, I'd go for this.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and morrisdl
I realize this is just a hypothetical, but there is no way for a driver to get this capability. It would be given to the car and anyone driving it. I'm sure they could build in a key code to try to identify the driver, but it seems unlikely.

As @Xenius says, I have adapted. I was driving just yesterday when AP screwed up and would have caused me to have a severe accident had I not had my hand on the wheel.

Reactions: Xenius and JohnnyG
- Sign a contract with Tesla which states that you will not engage in 'bad practices' while behind the wheel and will only let other drivers of your Tesla(s) operate the vehicle with the wheel hold alert engaged.
- Sign a waiver that holds Tesla harmless if you are involved in any accident with EAP/FSD engaged.

These two would be no-go's for me.

Both seem like traps for my insurance provider to use against me in the case I was ever involved in an accident with my car. There could be many circumstances in which I could have EAP/FSD engaged and the circumstance of an accident is not related to either and Tesla may need to be held liable. A purely crazy hypothetical is if I was using EAP and due to faulty manufacturing my driver's seat catapults me out the top of the car like the batmobile.

On a side note - Elon, please deliver us batmobile-like ejection seats for the new roadster.

I thought you meant "would you pay dearly" like "potentially pay with your life?" I do kind of make that trade on a regular basis with the car. Probably not as often as I did back a few updates ago. Used to have time to take lots of photos as passing the sights, now the car wants you to pay attention to IT, geez. I did think several times it would have sucked if I died doing those photos, still not as bad as those who sleep or get in the back seat. I have mostly been impressed with how well the car handles once you hand driving off to it. I guess I am one of those who gets too comfortable and the reason they have upped the rate of nagging.

But it beats the alternative. If they activate that interior camera in the rear view mirror and watch to see that I am paying attention I will lose all the advantages the Tesla has brought me. Finally being able to see the sights as I go down the street, just like when the wife drives.

I know, FSD is the real solution, but the car is super excellent the way it is (or was, a few updates ago).

-Randy