Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pay just to get automatic lane changing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I couldn't justify dropping 6K for the FSD package, but I would love to pay, say $1,000 just for the lane switching option.

I love using AP on my 50 mile oneway commute, but hate how i have to turn AP off everytime i need to switch lanes because of slower car in front or switching freeways.

If they added that feature, AP as it is, would be perfect. Don't need the rest of the gimmicky FSD features.

I couldn't justify dropping 6K for the FSD package, but I would love to pay, say $1,000 just for the lane switching option.

I love using AP on my 50 mile oneway commute, but hate how i have to turn AP off everytime i need to switch lanes because of slower car in front or switching freeways.

If they added that feature, AP as it is, would be perfect. Don't need the rest of the gimmicky FSD features.
What do you mean you have to turn off AP to switch lanes? You could use your blinkers to tell AP to switch lanes for you.

What do you mean you have to turn off AP to switch lanes? You could use your blinkers to tell AP to switch lanes for you.

No, you can't do that if you have the current base autopilot on HW3 cars. It's annoying, probably so that you have a reason to buy FSD.

I bought FSD from base autopilot. Auto lane change is good, but it's not aggressive enough in heavy traffic. It will mostly get behind cars, not in front of them.

Reactions: dvaz
Engage Auto Pilot. Hold the turn indicator stalk up to merge right. Hold the turn indicator stalk down to merge left. The car will do it automatically...but you have to keep pressure on the turn stalk.

The current flavor of base AP that Tesla is selling doesn't include automatic lane change when signaling. It really just keeps you in your lane at an appropriate speed and following distance. Engaging the turn signal actually disengages AP. Several of us own earlier cars with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which includes driver-initiated manual lane change, as well as Navigate On Autopilot which initiates its own lane changes. I'm pretty happy with this feature at this point, which stepped up its game in V10.

Engage Auto Pilot. Hold the turn indicator stalk up to merge right. Hold the turn indicator stalk down to merge left. The car will do it automatically...but you have to keep pressure on the turn stalk.

Is this only available in Enhanced Auto Pilot?

Yes, or FSD.

The free version of vanilla AP only does auto-steer and TACC.

I doubt they will ever split up the package. Soon it'll start looking like traditional manufacturers with 100 options.

Reactions: calidreamz808
The current flavor of base AP that Tesla is selling doesn't include automatic lane change when signaling. It really just keeps you in your lane at an appropriate speed and following distance. Engaging the turn signal actually disengages AP. Several of us own earlier cars with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which includes driver-initiated manual lane change, as well as Navigate On Autopilot which initiates its own lane changes. I'm pretty happy with this feature at this point, which stepped up its game in V10.
Thanks. I didn’t know they changed this with the newer cars.

I'm not sure of your definition of "earlier cars", or which version Model 3 we are discussing.

We purchased our Model 3 Dual Motor with included Enhanced Auto Pilot on June 30, 2019. If AP is engaged, the car will change lanes with a driver-initiated manual lane change of the turn indicator.

• Disagree
Reactions: arghx7 and Gondi63

Is this only available in Enhanced Auto Pilot?

You don't have to hold pressure. You only have to click to the second detent to latch the turn signal and the car will change lanes. That, of course, only works on Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving. It does not work with basic Autopilot.

Reactions: Watts 4 Me and tvad
You don't have to hold pressure. You only have to click to the second detent to latch the turn signal and the car will change lanes.
I have tried that in the past without success, which is why I started holding the stalk down. Perhaps the stalk needs to be held a moment longer than I have done in the past.

I appreciate that you posted advice rather than just clicking "Disagree".

Last edited:
My *guess* is that Tesla knows they could make money by offering pieces of FSD (like auto lane change) a la carte. They have chosen to NOT do this at this time and I believe that was asked and re-iterated on the Q3 conference call last week. Tesla likely is expecting as the value proposition increases with FSD over the coming months due to increased functionality, it will push more and more people to purchase FSD and getting the auto lane change only helps them to this goal. Don't shoot the messenger!

what I would pay a la carte.. $CAD

lane change ranks pretty high. It is nice having a second opinion when changing lanes. (Except opinions from passengers?)
It is slow but also serves as a reminder to me not to rush things.. I don’t value NOA very much in its current form. So far I prefer being involved in deciding when a lane change is necessary.

summon $500
Smart summon $1000
Lane change $1000
Noa $200 (on top of lane change)
City ap $5000
FSD $??? hard to say but lots

I'm not sure of your definition of "earlier cars", or which version Model 3 we are discussing.

We purchased our Model 3 Dual Motor with included Enhanced Auto Pilot on June 30, 2019. If AP is engaged, the car will change lanes with a driver-initiated manual lane change of the turn indicator.
Were you a reservation holder who finally purchased in June or you made a completely new purchase?

If it's a completely new purchase, I don't believe you.

Very curious to see your MVPA. In theory, you must have FSD. In practice, who knows. For an inventory vehicle, maybe they still included EAP, but I didn't think they did that...