TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you pay just to get automatic lane changing?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dvaz, Oct 29, 2019.

1. dvaz

dvaz Member

I couldn't justify dropping 6K for the FSD package, but I would love to pay, say $1,000 just for the lane switching option.

I love using AP on my 50 mile oneway commute, but hate how i have to turn AP off everytime i need to switch lanes because of slower car in front or switching freeways.

If they added that feature, AP as it is, would be perfect. Don't need the rest of the gimmicky FSD features.

• Like x 14
  2. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

What do you mean you have to turn off AP to switch lanes? You could use your blinkers to tell AP to switch lanes for you.

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. arghx7

arghx7 Member

No, you can't do that if you have the current base autopilot on HW3 cars. It's annoying, probably so that you have a reason to buy FSD.

I bought FSD from base autopilot. Auto lane change is good, but it's not aggressive enough in heavy traffic. It will mostly get behind cars, not in front of them.

• Like x 1
  4. tvad

tvad Member

Engage Auto Pilot. Hold the turn indicator stalk up to merge right. Hold the turn indicator stalk down to merge left. The car will do it automatically...but you have to keep pressure on the turn stalk.

Is this only available in Enhanced Auto Pilot?

• Disagree x 11
  5. Enginerd

Enginerd Member

The current flavor of base AP that Tesla is selling doesn't include automatic lane change when signaling. It really just keeps you in your lane at an appropriate speed and following distance. Engaging the turn signal actually disengages AP. Several of us own earlier cars with Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), which includes driver-initiated manual lane change, as well as Navigate On Autopilot which initiates its own lane changes. I'm pretty happy with this feature at this point, which stepped up its game in V10.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  6. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yep - only enhanced.

7. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Yes, or FSD.

The free version of vanilla AP only does auto-steer and TACC.

I doubt they will ever split up the package. Soon it'll start looking like traditional manufacturers with 100 options.

• Like x 1
  8. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

Thanks. I didn’t know they changed this with the newer cars.

9. tvad

tvad Member

I'm not sure of your definition of "earlier cars", or which version Model 3 we are discussing.

We purchased our Model 3 Dual Motor with included Enhanced Auto Pilot on June 30, 2019. If AP is engaged, the car will change lanes with a driver-initiated manual lane change of the turn indicator.

• Disagree x 2
  10. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

You don't have to hold pressure. You only have to click to the second detent to latch the turn signal and the car will change lanes. That, of course, only works on Enhanced Autopilot or Full Self Driving. It does not work with basic Autopilot.

• Like x 2
  11. jasazick

jasazick Member

Yeah, as much as I'd like to pick and choose which features I want, I don't want to get into a "in-app purchase'd to death" kind of situation.

• Like x 1
  12. Andy_STL

Andy_STL Member

Yes. I was all set to purchase AP until I found out that lane change is not available anymore. Bot worth it to me now for $3000.

13. hydro 481

hydro 481 Active Member

Thank you for teaching me the word “detent”

• Like x 2
  14. tvad

tvad Member

#14 tvad, Oct 29, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    I have tried that in the past without success, which is why I started holding the stalk down. Perhaps the stalk needs to be held a moment longer than I have done in the past.

I appreciate that you posted advice rather than just clicking "Disagree".

15. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

My *guess* is that Tesla knows they could make money by offering pieces of FSD (like auto lane change) a la carte. They have chosen to NOT do this at this time and I believe that was asked and re-iterated on the Q3 conference call last week. Tesla likely is expecting as the value proposition increases with FSD over the coming months due to increased functionality, it will push more and more people to purchase FSD and getting the auto lane change only helps them to this goal. Don't shoot the messenger!

16. BEPA400

BEPA400 Member

what I would pay a la carte.. $CAD

lane change ranks pretty high. It is nice having a second opinion when changing lanes. (Except opinions from passengers?)
    It is slow but also serves as a reminder to me not to rush things.. I don’t value NOA very much in its current form. So far I prefer being involved in deciding when a lane change is necessary.

summon $500
    Smart summon $1000
    Lane change $1000
    Noa $200 (on top of lane change)
    City ap $5000
    FSD $??? hard to say but lots

17. Gondi63

Gondi63 Member

Were you a reservation holder who finally purchased in June or you made a completely new purchase?

If it's a completely new purchase, I don't believe you.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  18. tvad

tvad Member

New purchase on June 30, 2019 of a car in inventory in Southern California.

19. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Very curious to see your MVPA. In theory, you must have FSD. In practice, who knows. For an inventory vehicle, maybe they still included EAP, but I didn't think they did that...

20. ChargedSociety

Yes, I'd buy it. Elon just said on the Q3 call that he had no intention of ever breaking it up though, the chances are not good.