Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you pick free lifetime supercharging or AP2/3?

Free supercharging or AP2?

• Free supercharging and AP1

• Pay for supercharging and AP2

• Keep looking for that unicorn

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to get a used Model X, and it's very hard to find one of the unicorns - free supercharging and AP2. If you had to pick, would you go with AP1 and lifetime free supercharging or AP2 and have to pay for supercharging? I have a charger in my house, and there's some slower chargers near me I can use.

I do have a level 2 charger in my house already (I currently have a Pacifica Hybrid I'm trying to get Chrysler to buy back) so I have convenient home charging. There's a supercharger being built about 5 miles from my house, too.

The Unlimited Supercharging + AP2 vehicles are around the two year mark now, I bet you’ll see some number of 75s and a few 90s coming up for sale in the next year. I think the 100s will hold until a bigger battery comes available.

For a small premium I would probably sell our 90. I guess it would make sense if you live or work very near a supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I just picked up a 2016 model x with supercharging and 2.0. We already own a model 3 and really only use the supercharging on long trips. I opted for the 2016 vs the 2017 for the free Supercharging and I’m glad I did. The model x is a thirsty beast. The model 3 needs to be charged once a week at home but I’ve already charged the X twice at superchargers in a week. I did get a 75 with 22in wheels so that doesn’t help. If you don’t mind or don’t have AP 2 now and you can live with AP1 I would do the free supercharging.

Due to a delivery snafu I had a loaner model S for 3 days with AP1. I prefer AP2 and it’s features but I will admit that they are very similar right now. Coming from the model 3 with AP2.5, I knew I wanted a 2.0 car.

Good luck!

I have an X with ap1, that is still fantastic. I just bought a new X with AP2. Honestly, at this point, ap1 is still better than ap2. Ap1 will never get worse than it is now, which means you’ll be able to use it on back streets, highways, adaptive cruise, lane changes with turn signals. I love ap1. Sure, eventually ap2 will be better. But I’d have no problem buying an ap1 car now, and keeping it for another 5 years.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1375mlm and P85_DA
I just picked up my new X yesterday and cannot believe how awful AP2 still is.

With AP2, you can pay for the FSD feature and be guaranteed an upgrade to HW3. With the original AP1 hardware, you're stuck. Given that the advanced summon is in the final pre-release stages, I think it seems likely that the gulf between HW1 and HW3 will be growing rapidly in the near future. I wouldn't want to be stuck on HW1. Just a gut feeling.

I'd try to find a HW2.5 Model X with free supercharging for life. But, I don't know if that meets any of the cutoffs. If it doesn't then I'd pay for supercharging over the other options.

Then I'd get the upgrade to FSD to have the HW2.5 computer swapped to HW3. HW3 is really where you want to be if you care about the great semi-autonomous experimentation of 2019/2020. It's going to get crazy in here.

I've owned both an AP1 vehicle, and now an AP2 vehicle. They both have their pluses and minuses. For the most part AP1 did what it did without trying to do too much. AP2 always feels like it tries to do too much. All Tesla really has to do to improve AP2 is to have adjustable settings to tone down certain things. Basically I need a way to tell the car "I'm paying attention so don't protect me so much? Okay?"

AP1 doesn't have lots of things that AP2 has. It doesn't have decent blind/side spot monitoring, it doesn't have either dashcam or Sentry mode. The summons only uses ultrasonic sensors, and can't use the cameras. The same is true of the self park.

The other thing about AP1 is its going to be on early builds of the Model X so that brings up questions about build quality on the early years of the Model X.

But, AP1 is the best if you don't care about the great semi-autonomous experimentation and you just want something that does what it does without much drama. With AP1 I mostly just used TACC, and I was perfectly happy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjdoc74
Unless you often drive a lot of long trips, I would removed Supercharging from the equation since you have the ability to charge at home. It is just far to convenient to charge at home.

Case in point, there will soon be 6 Supercharger locations within 12 miles of my house, one only 3 miles away. I suspect I will use them for less than 1% of my charging.

Charging at a local Supercharger is like going to a local gas station and finding something to do for 30 minutes or more. Charging at home is something you do while watching TV, sleeping, or killing zombies on your computer. And waking up every day to full charge is addictive.

I'm looking to get a used Model X, and it's very hard to find one of the unicorns - free supercharging and AP2. If you had to pick, would you go with AP1 and lifetime free supercharging or AP2 and have to pay for supercharging? I have a charger in my house, and there's some slower chargers near me I can use.

I have an X with Free Supercharging for life and AP2. Purchased at the end of 2016 so it stays with the car when sold. We like it, but given the right price I'd let it go.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Does anybody have the data on the serial number range or the dates of manufacture that would get AP2 as well as free Supercharging? I thought that the two did not overlap but it appears I am wrong.

I'm a little lost of what I'm missing with the AP1 that my P90D has. I guess it's really about the future. One thing I wish I has was continuous camera recording for accidents.

I bought my P90D used because I wanted a cheap out in case I didn't like it. I friggin love it.

It's not just ap2, you also get an option of 100kWh battery which is far superior to the "90" pack that was available before. So AP2-vintage car is a clear winner in my book on many fronts.

Also mcu2 become an option if you include cars from March 2018.

Free supercharging is sort of a gimmick, how often do you plan to use it? I used it myself like 5 times in the past two years. Considering 400kWh credits, it's a minuscule amount in my view to really care about.

Reactions: rob4448585