TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Would You Prefer A Solid Roof?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by JRP3, Apr 10, 2016.

?

Solid Roof Or Glass?

1. Solid

93 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Glass

142 vote(s)
    60.4%
  1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I've never been a big fan of sunroofs and don't care about the pano roof. I don't spend much time looking up when driving and don't care about impressing rear seat passengers. Assuming a solid roof is the lower cost standard model, please select your choice in the poll.

• Like x 4
  2. Lunarx

Lunarx Member

Solid Roof preferred.
    Glass Roof will not insulate temperature & noise as well as a solid roof w/ a headliner.
    Plus it will look nasty when you look up and see bird droppings, water spots etc.

I believe they announced that a solid roof option was available (at least for the front section).

• Like x 1
  3. DrPhoton

DrPhoton Member

No, I would prefer the glass roof. People who sit in the rear seat of our Model S often comment about the feeling of spaciousness due to the glass roof. Also, with the heat-reflecting and anti-UV coatings used on the glass, we haven't really noticed any discomfort. If you check, you'll discover that most Model S purchasers paid the extra amount to get the glass pano option. Based on people who filled in the options they ordered in the tracking spreadsheet publicized on this web site, it was >80% for Q4, 2015.

I'm not sure about the experience of folks who live in a cold climate. You might want to check what's getting ordered in places like Norway.

• Like x 1
  4. Jayc

Jayc Member

Solid roof preferred for all the reasons Lunarx mentions and really don't like bright sunlight.

• Like x 2
  5. BravoSarah

BravoSarah Member

I thought of this earlier when I heard a solid roof would be the base model. If there's a solid roof, where would it come down on the rear window? Wouldn't that most likely mean a liftback?

I'm in for a solid roof. The pano is nice, but not nice enough to pay extra for it imo. :)

• Like x 2
  6. PaulJB

PaulJB Member

I think its pretty well established that the rear part of the roof from the B pillar back will be a glass roof standard without any option for a metal roof. The options that will exist pertain to the area where a sunroof is installed between the A and B pillars. So, whether or not you like the glass roof in back, if you want a model 3 you will want to get used to the idea.

Also, its pretty clear now that the primary reason for the glass roof is for additional head space in back, with the aesthetic aspect being a strong secondary reason. While comparing a metal roof to glass roof in a vacuum, I'm sure the glass roof is more expensive. But I don't think its appropriate to do that. Rather, if you want a metal roof, you have also be happy with less head space in back or less range because of the taller less aerodynamic vehicle. To maintain a 200+ mile range vehicle with a metal roof and a lot of head space, you would have probably needed a bigger battery, which would have probably been more expensive in the long run.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  7. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

I prefer the solid glass roof, but of course the price is a big factor. Most of my cars have had a sunroof and I enjoy having the light come in, and sometimes I open it as well. But one of the things that rocked my world in the videos from the unveil is how great the interior of the car looked bathed in the ambient light coming in through the glass roof. I want mine like that too.

• Like x 2
  8. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Solid. For me glass just adds weight up high where it doesn't need to be.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. McRat

McRat Active Member

Solid. Weight, cost, leaks, repair costs, heat trapping, temp insulation, privacy when next to trucks, and sound attenuation.

• Like x 3
  10. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

Solid would be fine for me. The glass has the "ooh, ahh" factor, but I'd rather have lower cost, lower repair cost, and fewer leaks.

• Like x 3
  11. William13

William13 Member

I have never before liked sunroofs. I dislike sunroof implementation in all other cars that I have been in, but my Model S sunroof is sooooooo good other than noise concerns. I would love to have the sunroof but never open it.

• Like x 1
  12. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'm not sure, I'll have to see it. I didn't get the pano roof option in the S, but I like the continuous glass look of the 3. I'll wait to see it in person (presuming I can before I have to order ;)).

• Like x 1
  13. jchau

jchau Member

Solid metal for me. Im going to throw out a random 80% of the time i'm driving it either just me and/or one other person in the car. I'll be trying to stick close to the base model. Don't need the risk of repairing a chip to that glass. I'll guess its going to have a large repair bill.

• Like x 2
  14. AU1985

AU1985 Member

Metal please

• Like x 1
  15. C141medic

C141medic New Member

Solid roof for sure. Glass roof definitely looks really nice but what about damage? I.e.; stone chips, something falling from trees, etc. Wouldn't the replacement of the panoramic roof be very expensive?

• Like x 2
  16. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

On the Model S the solid roof eliminates the ability to add roof racks... wonder if it will be the same for the 3?

• Informative x 2
  17. JoRey

JoRey Current Volt Owner, Aspiring Model III Owner

Since i am from california, the pano roof is a no brainier. It will likely be the only option i will get since i can activate supercharger and autopilot at a later time.

18. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

Agree. I have trouble with glare from the remnants of cataracts after surgery. Having to wear a broad brim hat in a car with a glass roof is not appealing to me; I have enough trouble with the tiny visor in the S. I also want the sound dampening of a typical metal roof plus insulation.

But if the metal roof is just a narrow strip over the front passengers, I think that will look rather odd.

• Like x 1
  19. Chris L

Chris L Member

Solid. Don't like the sun glare with sunroofs, and just dogs in the back seat. Will be interesting to see how Tesla implements that solid roof (how far it goes back).

• Like x 2
  20. Thalass

Thalass Model 3 reserved zomg

Having seen the 360° video of the demo ride from the reveal, I think there's little point in getting the solid roof. The windscreen goes quite a way back, and the rear window goes quite a way forward. People in the back seats will still be in the sun even with the solid roof.

However if it's a few thousand dollars cheaper I'd probably go for the solid roof. Wouldn't lose much coolness factor, and would allow that money to go towards AWD and Autopilot haha

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1