Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Prefer A Solid Roof?

Solid Roof Or Glass?

• Solid

Votes: 96 40.3%
  • Glass

Votes: 142 59.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I would prefer the glass roof. People who sit in the rear seat of our Model S often comment about the feeling of spaciousness due to the glass roof. Also, with the heat-reflecting and anti-UV coatings used on the glass, we haven't really noticed any discomfort. If you check, you'll discover that most Model S purchasers paid the extra amount to get the glass pano option. Based on people who filled in the options they ordered in the tracking spreadsheet publicized on this web site, it was >80% for Q4, 2015.

I'm not sure about the experience of folks who live in a cold climate. You might want to check what's getting ordered in places like Norway.

Reactions: 1208
I think its pretty well established that the rear part of the roof from the B pillar back will be a glass roof standard without any option for a metal roof. The options that will exist pertain to the area where a sunroof is installed between the A and B pillars. So, whether or not you like the glass roof in back, if you want a model 3 you will want to get used to the idea.

Also, its pretty clear now that the primary reason for the glass roof is for additional head space in back, with the aesthetic aspect being a strong secondary reason. While comparing a metal roof to glass roof in a vacuum, I'm sure the glass roof is more expensive. But I don't think its appropriate to do that. Rather, if you want a metal roof, you have also be happy with less head space in back or less range because of the taller less aerodynamic vehicle. To maintain a 200+ mile range vehicle with a metal roof and a lot of head space, you would have probably needed a bigger battery, which would have probably been more expensive in the long run.

I prefer the solid glass roof, but of course the price is a big factor. Most of my cars have had a sunroof and I enjoy having the light come in, and sometimes I open it as well. But one of the things that rocked my world in the videos from the unveil is how great the interior of the car looked bathed in the ambient light coming in through the glass roof. I want mine like that too.

Reactions: Lunarx and PaulJB
Solid roof preferred for all the reasons Lunarx mentions and really don't like bright sunlight.
Agree. I have trouble with glare from the remnants of cataracts after surgery. Having to wear a broad brim hat in a car with a glass roof is not appealing to me; I have enough trouble with the tiny visor in the S. I also want the sound dampening of a typical metal roof plus insulation.

But if the metal roof is just a narrow strip over the front passengers, I think that will look rather odd.

Reactions: Lunarx
Having seen the 360° video of the demo ride from the reveal, I think there's little point in getting the solid roof. The windscreen goes quite a way back, and the rear window goes quite a way forward. People in the back seats will still be in the sun even with the solid roof.

However if it's a few thousand dollars cheaper I'd probably go for the solid roof. Wouldn't lose much coolness factor, and would allow that money to go towards AWD and Autopilot haha