Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Prefer A Solid Roof?

Solid Roof Or Glass?

• Solid

Votes: 96 40.3%
  • Glass

Votes: 142 59.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure the photoshopped image is correct, although obviously this is just based on the other images and where the panels are.

Wasn't it said that the glass roof gives more headroom to those in the back? If that's the case, the solid roof must be over the back seats (and therefore give less headroom) and in the images the panels they don't.

I think the image is spot on. We know the roof is is made up of 3 panels of glass: Front windshield, center flat piece, and rear windshield. You can clearly see the seems in the photos below. If not I've made them more obvious in my edit.
upload_2016-4-11_7-46-28.png

upload_2016-4-11_7-46-34.png

I think some people are getting confused by the term metal roof ala headroom. The rear and front windshields will always be glass. Therefore the headroom in a car with a metal roof will not change. When musk says he needed to make the roof glass to provide more headroom he meant the rear windshield had to be brought forward to cover the occupants in the back seat. (although I'm confused on why this can't be acheived with a metal roof which makes me think its aesthetics only)

Personally I like the look of the photoshop of the metal roof better and will prefer the extra privacy it provides. Otherwise I feel it will be like driving in a big bubble.

As for thermal insulation. Metal will be better but since its not a large area I don't feel it will make a significant difference. Likewise the weight delta of metal vs glass will not impact range.

Lose feeling of openness with a solid roof and a few cm's headroom. Solid roof with sunroof lose another few cm's headroom compared to just solid roof and you will be down to just kids with enough head room. It all depends on cost difference and sun insulation for me before I make my decision. As I live in Sydney you can get sunburn very easily here. However I will get my car probably a year after the US, I would of heard lots of owner opinions before making my decision. Maybe Tesla will add electric dimming like the Mercedes / Maybach. Just rumors but maybe it will be a option.

Just to be clear with the headroom thing. I believe the main issue is where the cross bars are. You need a cross bar at the top of the rear window. So while you could conceivably have metal over the rear passengers, in order for the cross bar to be behind their heads you would end up with a tiny rear window (the Model S rear window is hard to see through already for this reason, the Model 3 would be worse). Tesla has solved the problem by bringing the cross bar at the top of the rear windshield forward to be in front of the rear passengers heads instead.

Reactions: PaulJB
Just to be clear with the headroom thing. I believe the main issue is where the cross bars are. You need a cross bar at the top of the rear window. So while you could conceivably have metal over the rear passengers, in order for the cross bar to be behind their heads you would end up with a tiny rear window (the Model S rear window is hard to see through already for this reason, the Model 3 would be worse). Tesla has solved the problem by bringing the cross bar at the top of the rear windshield forward to be in front of the rear passengers heads instead.

This is why I think its only the center section that will be an option to get metal. Tesla isn't going to move a crossbar for those of us that choose the metal roof option.

Good points, but I think the crossbar could remain where it is while still having the sheet metal extend beyond it, maybe with just a small crossbar/reinforcement at the end where the rear window attaches. Without the need for robust mounting points for a liftback I don't think the roof/rear glass attachment point would need to be that thick.

However since that would mean a different rear glass window which would add costs I think it's less likely.

Good points, but I think the crossbar could remain where it is while still having the sheet metal extend beyond it, maybe with just a small crossbar/reinforcement at the end where the rear window attaches. Without the need for robust mounting points for a liftback I don't think the roof/rear glass attachment point would need to be that thick.

However since that would mean a different rear glass window which would add costs I think it's less likely.

excellent point, two rear glass sizes is highly unlikely

1. Summer warmth: Having had to experience what the Arizona sun is like in mid-summer, and how effortlessly the Model S's pano handles it, I now have zero qualms about that factor wrt an effectively all-glass roof.

2. Winter warmth: Every last traditional vehicle out there is an insulative nightmare. If you ever take an infrared image of a vehicle, any vehicle, you will see it has the heat-retentive qualities of a sieve: windows, doors, seals, roof....when we were disabled in our F-350 a number of years ago with the outside temps at -51ºF, it fell to very close to ambient in an astonishingly few number of minutes.
But....it doesn't matter: take it from me, I know cold. And the #1 no-second-place best way to achieve warmth in a vehicle is not through the convective heating of the cabin air, but through the conductive heating of the seats. And, although there has been a small amount of criticism of Tesla's seat heaters, we've had no issues with ours and rank them at the top of all of our vehicles' seat heaters.

3. Sound: my considered opinion is that this is negligible. Not because metal+deadener+headliner isn't more effective than glass alone, but because the greatest incursion of sound is though seals and interstices. Sound deadener is terrific at diminishing intra-vehicular noise - for most cars, that's what's emanating from the engine and exhaust system - but the Model 3 will have effectively the same number of window seals, door gaskets, etc., as the next car and so what is or is not on the roof will be just noise in the data, so to speak. The greatest sources of noise in an EV are (1) tire noise - and there it's the efficacy of the wheel well jackets; and (2) wind noise - and there it is air grabbers like seals and joints that are the source - not the smooth skin.

4. Headroom: Tesla came right out and said the glass roof would provide more headroom than a metal one; I'm taking them at their word.

5. Perceived headroom: There is zero doubt in my mind that the effect of more glass is more capaciousness.

6. Dirt on exterior: Just a suspicion, but I'm guessing that if some bird splat is going to make you upset if you see it from sitting inside the vehicle, it is going to make you more upset when you're approaching your car from without and thus you'll deal with it. Moreover, the peripheral nature of most of that glass for most occupants means that you'll not really be seeing most or even any such infractions. And I for one have not heard any reports of Model X owners becoming upset because their own Prevost-bus-like windshield is becoming annoying because they see a squashed bug in their vision.

7. Privacy: Ummm...huh? Get a room, folks.

8. The one significant concern I have about glass is whether TM's supplier is able to get on the stick to supply in proper fashion the number of panels required for Model 3 production. And I am not able to envision TM not having enough experience and clout and good sense not to have that sticky wicket properly anticipated.

So...ceteris paribus, I'm voting for glass.

There's probably another reason for this arrangement - structural integrity and safety. Notice that the seam between the roof and the rear glass is exactly at the B pillar, which is probably heavily reinforced with a roof beam. Typical passenger cars usually don't have this, unless the cars are reinforced for racing to prevent cabin collapse during rollover. This car probably has something like that built in to strengthen the chassis.

I love the sunroof. Every car I've owned since 1994 has had sunroof or was a convertible. I can't imagine owning a Tesla with a solid metal roof. Getting claustrophobic just thinking about it! Also, headroom. The solid roofs had less headroom.

4. Headroom: Tesla came right out and said the glass roof would provide more headroom than a metal one; I'm taking them at their word.

Metal and glass roofs on the model 3 will have the same amount of headroom because both metal and glass roofs will have the same rear windshield.

I really think we are arguing over very little square footage. The section that the option will be on is probably car width x 1.5 feet long.

Metal and glass roofs on the model 3 will have the same amount of headroom because both metal and glass roofs will have the same rear windshield.

I really think we are arguing over very little square footage. The section that the option will be on is probably car width x 1.5 feet long.

There is a bit of a mix up in this discussion. Because some people want the rear glass to be optional with metal standard (which is not going to happen), this portion has gotten talked about. But, yes, if we actually talking about the area that will be optional, I completely agree with you.

Reactions: SureValla
In any car from which I have ever removed a headliner, it's clear that a metal roof, plus its accompanying structural members, and a headliner panel is substantially thicker than a sheet of glass... unless this is ballistics-grade glass in the M3.

It's rather minor overall, but I look forward to not having a headliner. Years of driving newer Volkswagens has given me too much experience re-covering headliners where some beancounter jackass saved a little fabric and created self-separating headliner upholstery.
Got it. I have never removed a headliner, but it makes sense to support the steal, other wise one cat would dent it.

So my answer is now. Steel roof, just designed better, so that a cat won't dent it. I love how typing stuff, makes engineering easy. ;)