Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you purchase an acceleration boost if they offered one for the performance model?

Would you purchase and at what price?

• Yes if sub $1000

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Yes, up to $2000

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Yes, up to $5000

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Yes, $5000+

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No, my car is fast enough

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • No, I have a LR AWD/other

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe.

But the MYP is already faster than 99% of all cars you'd run into on the road.

I'd have to think about it though. Just having it launch like the M3P is enticing.
Yeah I can agree with you. But having it go as quickly as the M3P would be nice. If it could break 3 seconds it'd be super cool for party tricks with friends/family. I think moreso I'd be interested in the increase in passing power and increase in power with lower SOC. 3.5 seconds is nice but if the battery gets below 70% it starts to get progressively slower so having the car start out faster means it could perform the same as it does now at a lower SOC. Also having additional passing power at ~60mph+ would be nice.

Reactions: Young Phenom
Any chance to make a quick car quicker takes a lot of cash... and bolt ons ... or internal engine work.

The MYP boost would be just code over the air - and I’m certainly ready.

I’m also ready for the MYP to include track mode where we can modify power outputs front/rear.

I'd rather it be a free update, but I've had my MYP for less than a month and I'm used to it now, so a paid upgrade would still be awesome, especially if TSLA stays 800+ :)
Agreed would love if it was a free update that made the car faster but unsure how likely that is. I'm still a little shocked at how close the LR+Acceleration boost is compared to the Performance considering the price difference.

I wish they would just change the power curve of the MYP to resemble the M3P. Feels a bit slow from the start. I am not talking about the half a second difference. Talking about the sluggish feel from dead stop.

I wish they would just change the power curve of the MYP to resemble the M3P. Feels a bit slow from the start. I am not talking about the half a second difference. Talking about the sluggish feel from dead stop.
I only test drove the M3P once so I don't really recall how it felt but I do recall it felt more immediate when you first mashed the accelerator. I guess I assumed the difference was the size in the vehicle but honestly they weigh close enough in weight and are shaped similarly it is a bit odd that they have different acceleration mappings. Maybe they felt since it was more of an SUV it should be more gradual? It would be neat if they enabled a new drive mode ("Sport+"?) that would have the more immediate acceleration.

I am optimistic that over time there may be some benefit to MYP owners for choosing the more expensive performance model. Tesla seems to be all about having fast performance cars and I hope they know we always want more :D

I only test drove the M3P once so I don't really recall how it felt but I do recall it felt more immediate when you first mashed the accelerator. I guess I assumed the difference was the size in the vehicle but honestly they weigh close enough in weight and are shaped similarly it is a bit odd that they have different acceleration mappings. Maybe they felt since it was more of an SUV it should be more gradual? It would be neat if they enabled a new drive mode ("Sport+"?) that would have the more immediate acceleration.

I am optimistic that over time there may be some benefit to MYP owners for choosing the more expensive performance model. Tesla seems to be all about having fast performance cars and I hope they know we always want more :D

I am coming from the M3P- so the difference for me is very noticeable. There was a video a while back of the two cars on dyno and the power curves look very different. M3P is very flat while MYP is very steep. I like the flat curve and wish they would give the MYP a little more oomf on the low end.

I am coming from the M3P- so the difference for me is very noticeable. There was a video a while back of the two cars on dyno and the power curves look very different. M3P is very flat while MYP is very steep. I like the flat curve and wish they would give the MYP a little more oomf on the low end.
Would having the flat curve make the MYP nearly as fast the M3P? I wonder if they changed the mapping so that the SUV wasn't just as fast the sedan?

Reactions: Quorky
Would having the flat curve make the MYP nearly as fast the M3P? I wonder if they changed the mapping so that the SUV wasn't just as fast the sedan?

If the power curves were identical between the two, there would be a difference due to the weight differential. Model Y would be slower, but I am not sure by how much, being 400-500lbs heavier. I have no idea why they changed the curve distribution for the model Y vs the model 3, but I am def not a fan and miss the "jerkiness" of the model 3. Would love for them to flatten the curve without making the car's overall 0 to 60 faster. Its more psychological and "feel" than the car being slow.

If the power curves were identical between the two, there would be a difference due to the weight differential. Model Y would be slower, but I am not sure by how much, being 400-500lbs heavier. I have no idea why they changed the curve distribution for the model Y vs the model 3, but I am def not a fan and miss the "jerkiness" of the model 3. Would love for them to flatten the curve without making the car's overall 0 to 60 faster. Its more psychological and "feel" than the car being slow.
That's interesting. You'd almost think it would make more sense to have more power from the get go in the MYP as a result of it being heavier. It should, theoretically, be able to put that power down more easily compared to the 3 with more weight.

That's interesting. You'd almost think it would make more sense to have more power from the get go in the MYP as a result of it being heavier. It should, theoretically, be able to put that power down more easily compared to the 3 with more weight.

I hope they release a track mode (that allows for the dynamic power curve shifting - that would be so awesome) for the MYP or something along the lines of sport+ to give some of us the opportunity to feel the power on the bottom of the curve. However, performance models are not selling like hot-cakes and represent a very small fraction of the adoption. To just appease the small percentage of ppl makes no sense for Tesla, when they are having issues pushing out cars without issues. if they will adjust the curves, I presume it will be a change to all models - and there lies the rub, why do that, when most ppl think the model y is fast enough? Unless the initial decision to steepen the curve was a mistake, I dont see them changing the shape at this stage. The initial reasoning interests me but I have no hope for a future revision to the shape at this point (as much as I would love that).

I hope they release a track mode (that allows for the dynamic power curve shifting - that would be so awesome) for the MYP or something along the lines of sport+ to give some of us the opportunity to feel the power on the bottom of the curve. However, performance models are not selling like hot-cakes and represent a very small fraction of the adoption. To just appease the small percentage of ppl makes no sense for Tesla, when they are having issues pushing out cars without issues. if they will adjust the curves, I presume it will be a change to all models - and there lies the rub, why do that, when most ppl think the model y is fast enough? Unless the initial decision to steepen the curve was a mistake, I dont see them changing the shape at this stage. The initial reasoning interests me but I have no hope for a future revision to the shape at this point (as much as I would love that).
I have to think (and hope!) that they will do something. Elon tweeted that track mode was coming to the MY. Who knows when exactly that may happen though. I think part of the problem with the MYP is that there isn't enough differentiation. With the MS and MX the speed difference is noticeable between the performance and non-performance models. The M3 and MY are the opposite. The acceleration boost LR AWD models are within spitting distance of the Performance models. I think, in general, Tesla likes to under promise when it comes to acceleration so I would be shocked if there isn't anything else in the works. But that is wishful thinking until something real comes out. I am sort of curious why the MYP is 10k more than the LR but the M3P is only 8k more than the LR version. I don't know much about the M3LR but does it have the same suspension or something else in common with the M3P to justify the Performance model being only 8k more rather than 10k?

Reactions: Quorky