TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you put a front license plate on your 2020 Roadster even if required by law?

Discussion in 'Roadster 2020' started by SanDiegoGuy, May 15, 2019.

1. SanDiegoGuy

SanDiegoGuy Member

I am in California and front license plate is required. However, I would rather pay fix it ticket fines than to put in on. I do not want to destroy the beauty of the front side of the car.

2. 75Shappyt

75Shappyt Member

I'm in Missouri, and I did bet that law in court once, but that was years ago. The car I bought did'n come with a front plate holder, no way to put the front plate on without tearing up the front of the car. Judge agreed with me.

3. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

I saw a McLaren in Santa Monica earlier this week while on a business trip and it had a front plate on it. I was almost offended. :p If you can afford the car, you can afford the fix-it ticket. Don’t ruin the look of a beautiful supercar (IMHO)!

• Funny x 1
  4. ElectricLee

ElectricLee Banned

Place it there just for the Fix-It Ticket. Then....

5. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Member

I have done it many times

6. Rupe

Rupe Member

Move to Florida. We don’t require front license plates.

7. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Texas requires a front plate. I had a front plate on my Lotus Esprit V8, and I have one on my current Roadster, and I expect to have one on the new Roadster. (I did pay extra for a black one so my car wouldn't look buck-toothed, though.) It's not a big deal.

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Absolutely not.

9. roblab

roblab Active Member

I agree. I do not wear a front plate, and I live in CA. My experience is that most police in CA aren't ticketing missing front license, as there are about ten percent of all cars in CA that don't have one. If there is another infraction they have the option to add the missing plate.

I was ticketed once, about 20 years ago, for no front plate. I paid the fix it ticket and mounted a plate on velcro, and the officer approved it with a raised eyebrow. That was the last pull-over.

Be prepared to pay. But you may not have to.

10. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

Never!!! The plate would ruin it!

11. hill

hill Active Member

We thought the license plate & Frame looked really lame on the model X. We certainly did NOT want to have to drill holes in the front for a the license plate holder. So - we went this route;

Non photochemically reactive 400° laser-heat resistant stretchy, removable Vinyl decal .... cops don't even notice the difference because seldom if ever do they see it from this 45° angle.
    20180320_140212-1.jpg
    So they certainly don't notice it from head-on;

20180320_140149-1.jpg

Maybe someday there will be a license plate - Barney Fife type nazi who will freak out, make a big deal, write a ticket or whatever, but in the meantime? we're liking it - as well as the smiles and double-take's we get. If we get busted? Already have another one printed up, so we'll vary apologetically go out to the front of the X & peel it off .... making Barney Fife proud that he did his duty.
    ;)

• Like x 1
  12. SanDiegoGuy

SanDiegoGuy Member

Although you do not have to drill holes, the whole point is anything that resembles a license plate on the front of the car still diminish the good look of the car.

13. LN1_Casey

LN1_Casey Member

That's hilarious, and I love the custom plate choice.

However, if I somehow got a Roadster 2020, I'd just pay the fine. I'd not even want the sticker, because it'd ruin the ascetics of the car. I have a '70 Firebird that I should put front plates on, but don't for the same reason (and they're custom Black/Yellow, "MWUAHAA"). Admittedly, it's not a daily driver, but neither would the Roadster.