Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you recommend Hitch-Mount Cargo Carrier for MX?

Would you recommend Hitch-Mount Cargo Carrier for MX?

• Yes, go for it!

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • No, it noticeably hurts the range

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it is inconvenient (such as using super charger)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • No, it is ugly, and I have better solutions

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the great ideas. I just purchased a used Pro Series Hitch-mount Cargo carrier from Craigslist. I love the X-Lite, but we are not sure how often we need the carrier yet. I tried it out at super chargers (not the urban charger) and had no issue getting in the spot.

We have a 6-seater, and will take our toddler and infant with us. Probably would be safer to keep the snowboard outside the vehicle, and have it strapped with the luggage.

That being said, the real test would be the 500+ mi drive. I definitely would report back with my experience.

model-x-hitchmount.jpg

So I went with Pro Series 65153 carrier. We wanted to see how much we would rely on the carrier before we go more pricy sophisticated solution such as Stowaway. The carrier is very easy to install, and it does not block the rare gate either. Supercharging was rather easy, we were able to back in most of the stalls without any problem, but at a few locations we had to back in very carefully because there are metal posts or concrete wall. Either way, it was still a flawless solution as if Tesla already built the supercharger with this scenario in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
View attachment 365400

So I went with Pro Series 65153 carrier. We wanted to see how much we would rely on the carrier before we go more pricy sophisticated solution such as Stowaway. The carrier is very easy to install, and it does not block the rare gate either. Supercharging was rather easy, we were able to back in most of the stalls without any problem, but at a few locations we had to back in very carefully because there are metal posts or concrete wall. Either way, it was still a flawless solution as if Tesla already built the supercharger with this scenario in mind.

I've been considering this exact Reese Pro hitch carrier. Any idea how much it weighs? Was it easy to install? Does it fit pretty snugly when driving or do you feel that it sways? And does it block the tail lights or anything that would make it necessary to install lighted wiring harness? And lastly, that bag you used looks pretty awesome. Where did you get that and is it waterproof? Thanks in advance!

I've been considering this exact Reese Pro hitch carrier. Any idea how much it weighs? Was it easy to install? Does it fit pretty snugly when driving or do you feel that it sways? And does it block the tail lights or anything that would make it necessary to install lighted wiring harness? And lastly, that bag you used looks pretty awesome. Where did you get that and is it waterproof? Thanks in advance!
I have that exact model.

First set up was a pain for me but I suck with this stuff so that's probably why. Once it was put together, it was perfect. I highly recommend but I have no other experience so take that with a grain of salt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HVVVEYM/ref=psdc_491446011_t2_B075MM2SGZ

This is the bag I got, I also recommend.

Check out this Cargo Carrier specifically designed for the Model X. It only weighs 16.5lbs so it can hold over 100lbs and still be under the 120lb limit of the X hitch rating. You can also add a ski attachment.View attachment 357834 X-Lite | Cargo Rack specifically designed for the Tesla Model X | X-Rack

Thanks for this tip! I just bought one. I've been looking for a cargo hitch carrier for some time. The fact that I can store it in the trunk cubby is an awesome bonus! That alone makes it worth the money.

The X-lite is almost perfect. I was hoping that it would replace the trunk separator thing, sitting flush with the top so I could put the trunk mat over the top. As it is, you would have to lift the trunk separator then lift the carrier to get to the stuff stowed underneath. Almost perfect.

Edit: YES! It does do what I said, replacing the floor cover completely. It IS perfect. WOO!

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware

The Pro Series 65153 I got weighs about 60 lbs. I am a short and athletically challenged, so installing it took a little bit of deep breath and wiggling, but I wouldn't say it would be hard given I could get it done under two minutes.

The item feels sturdy and it does not sway. I have gone on a few long drive and have not noticed any stability issues. The bag is waterproof, and just the right height that it does not block the tail light, and gives just the right amount of visibility for rear-view camera. My only complaint with the bag is that without filling it up, it could look pretty soggy.

While a few SuperChargers could accommodate the additional space behind, I notice those with big fat Red Posts create issues for backing in. The only way I get around that limitation would be charging the car sideways. Granted, that means I would take more than a spot, but luckily that has not been issues with most of the charging stations I have visited.

Weighing in (no pun intended)
This was amazing purchase for our MX.
We just drove 1100 km for skiing. Ours holds 3 rubbermaids full of boots and 6 pairs of skis. Back hatch still opens and no problem supercharging if you back in within 6". It even leaves space between car and rack, so you can stand between and get your stuff out of the trunk. Amazing.
Overall build quality of the tray is excellent. And it's cheap!
Tricam ACC-1F Hitch-Mounted... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HDL2E4O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190216_124858.jpg
    MVIMG_20190216_124858.jpg
    497.2 KB · Views: 214
Weighing in (no pun intended)
This was amazing purchase for our MX.
We just drove 1100 km for skiing. Ours holds 3 rubbermaids full of boots and 6 pairs of skis. Back hatch still opens and no problem supercharging if you back in within 6". It even leaves space between car and rack, so you can stand between and get your stuff out of the trunk. Amazing.
Overall build quality of the tray is excellent. And it's cheap!
Tricam ACC-1F Hitch-Mounted... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00HDL2E4O?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Also. So happy with skis in bags, so they don't arrive with road muck on them. And in summer I am going to out a bike rack (bottom wheel grab type) on it. Plus you can haul fertilizer and bags of garbage outside of car. Very happy with it.

If anyone is looking for a recommendation on a cargo hitch carrier you should take a look at the Thule 665.

One of the biggest issues with the Model X’s hitch is the tongue weight limit, which is 120lbs. That means that the total weight of the cargo box and gear inside has to be 120lb or less.

I looked at options for a swing style in the event that you have to swing it out to pull into a Supercharger, but those units often weighed 90lbs without gear and only leaving you with 30lbs.

The Thule weights 55lbs, which after doing as much research as I could was the lightest weight to allow plenty of gear to fit into the box. I’ve only been to 1 Supercharger, which is Sheboygan, WI and I’ve had plenty of room.

Attachments

• B0EAB516-76EF-423F-BA17-FB93A009500C.jpeg
    B0EAB516-76EF-423F-BA17-FB93A009500C.jpeg
    642.2 KB · Views: 164
  • CFB6EA75-BDB9-4279-9F2D-647DBBA5DC96.jpeg
    CFB6EA75-BDB9-4279-9F2D-647DBBA5DC96.jpeg
    743.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 3136A9B6-A592-48B2-BA25-9E0CB7C1A627.jpeg
    3136A9B6-A592-48B2-BA25-9E0CB7C1A627.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 159
What’s the purpose of the XHD vs X-Lite if the X-Lite can already carry the capacity of the Model X?
I had the same question and here was the response from the company . . . .

"The main difference besides being a little beefier construction and steel receiver tube is the removeable back wall. We made this removeable incase a larger box had to overhang slightly or for future extension deck to make it a larger platform. (The XHD carrier can be mounted in reverse)

You are correct if you are just using it on the Model X, the X-Lite will be more than sufficient. Some may want to use this on a second vehicle with a heavier weight rating so they would opt for the XHD model. "

So, unless you have a second vehicle that you plan on using the rack, save your money and get the x-lite!!!

I did recently use it for a trip from DC to OBX. It worked great. No problems backing into SC (although, your visibility from the camera might be decreased, depending on how high your junk is stacked). Just be sure to get some good ratchet straps to secure your load!

I had the same question and here was the response from the company . . . .

"The main difference besides being a little beefier construction and steel receiver tube is the removeable back wall. We made this removeable incase a larger box had to overhang slightly or for future extension deck to make it a larger platform. (The XHD carrier can be mounted in reverse)

You are correct if you are just using it on the Model X, the X-Lite will be more than sufficient. Some may want to use this on a second vehicle with a heavier weight rating so they would opt for the XHD model. "

So, unless you have a second vehicle that you plan on using the rack, save your money and get the x-lite!!!

I did recently use it for a trip from DC to OBX. It worked great. No problems backing into SC (although, your visibility from the camera might be decreased, depending on how high your junk is stacked). Just be sure to get some good ratchet straps to secure your load!

Have you noticed any difference in range when using the x rack carrier? Have you mounted snowboards to it as well?

Have you noticed any difference in range when using the x rack carrier? Have you mounted snowboards to it as well?
There is a slight decrease in efficiency. I usually run around 275-300 Whm on road trips, but with the x rack loaded up with large cooler, beach chairs, umbrella, etc . . . . I was maybe doing 350 Whm. Not remotely enough difference to cause any range anxiety. I was still able to use autopilot, despite the rear camera being obscured. However, there was more "sway", as the car made more frequent micro adjustments to stay center. My wife made me take it off AP because she was getting car sick.

I have not used it with snowboards yet. Be sure to get the snowboard attachment for the x rack if you plan on using that way!