Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you return this 2020 3 Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Return and buy new (post-Battery Day). Good luck.

To clarify my prior comments: it’s not that your relatively minor issues can’t be fixed, it’s simply that (1) the $2800 cost reduction isn’t enough for the mileage/issues and (2) one week from today it seems likely that a lightly enhanced Model 3 will be announced with some compelling updates.

Either way, you’re driving the best car (but not a perfect car) on the planet so enjoy!

Good luck.

Mobile service should be able to fix the light, no need to go to the service center. Any new car will have its own set of issues. You could spend the $2800 to have it paint corrected and ceramic coated (or put it towards that plus PPF). You probably need that on a new car as well.

• Informative
Reactions: howardc888
Mobile service should be able to fix the light, no need to go to the service center. Any new car will have its own set of issues. You could spend the $2800 to have it paint corrected and ceramic coated (or put it towards that plus PPF). You probably need that on a new car as well.

I’ve never had to spend $2800 correcting anything on a brand new car. Issues, Issues, maybe a slight rattle. But the wife and I have had 5 new cars together and no issues. Spending more money to fix what I paid for, when it is new, is a foreign concept. Now, we have bought used and in that case, caveat emptor...

Reactions: jjrandorin
I actually think either way is a viable path. You could either return it and get another one (if Tesla will let you order another P3D) or you can work through the warranty process and have the car fixed. The bottom line, and what really matters in the end for you, is what is going to make you happiest?

If the car is fixed and therefore pretty much equivalent to a brand new flawless one, will that still bother you? Will you constantly be questioning your decision and weighing a $2800 savings vs. a known brand-new car?

I would clarify exactly what warranty you have on the vehicle. The verbal statement of "we're not going to repair anything on it" doesn't carry any legal weight. The purchase documents and bill of sale are what matters. If you have a new car warranty, that's acceptable. If for some reason the documents say you have a used car warranty, I'd say that's a problem and I would return the car,

I would just keep the following caveats in mind if you're thinking about returning the vehicle:
  • You will be paying $2800 more
  • You will have to wait for the new vehicle
  • The new vehicle is likely to have some flaws that will require warranty work -- Tesla is not known for high initial quality and flaws in new vehicles are common
  • Tesla's paint line is particularly problematic. Paint flaws are common, and repaints of parts on vehicles sold as new are common. The repainted bumper you have is likely to have been repainted at the factory or at the Tesla sales location when it was new, not after the vehicle was used in fleet service.
In short, I'm not sure you will be saving a lot of headache or improving the count of flaws in the car by returning it and getting a new one. You could very well end up in the same boat and $2800 lighter in the wallet.

I’m a car guy thru and thru as well, I’ve bought a 2017 Model X and 2020 Model 3. That said, I hope you trust the following:

I actually doubt the taillights were swapped out. Tesla’s lighting supplier seems to have the same quality as those “OE equivalent” Chinese parts bodyshops use for insurance repairs on old cars.

surprised it needs an amp, but whatever.

I highly, highly doubt the front clip has had any paintwork performed. If I knew nothing/had no prior Tesla experience, I would have thought my brand new model 3 had all kinds of paint work and repairs done just by looking at it. Not sure if it’s any consolation, but your car is probably factory fresh.

My model X had its front repainted when it was brand new by an amazing auto repair shop (I actually paid an additional $13k out of pocket above what insurance paid to have this shop do the work) and it was 1000% better than what it came from the factory. So, ironically, if you car ACTUALLY had paintwork done you probably wouldn’t have noticed anything because the work would almost certainly be better than what comes out of the paint shop in Fremont. Oy vey..

Reactions: raggedy
Take it from someone who also purchased a demo Model 3, return it. It wasn’t disclosed to me that it was a demo until after I signed and I have worked in auto sales for 10 years. It had a significant amount of cosmetic issues, needed two wheels and had leaking fog lights (FYI Leaking lights not covered by warranty). I was offered a small discount for the miles on the car. It wasn’t worth the headaches. RETURN IT and get a new one.

Many red Model 3's have a horrible paint match between the bumpers and the body, mine included. They screwed up a bunch of them really bad, and they definitely paint them off the car, which causes a mismatch. It happens on other colors too, but red has has some really bad mismatches. Lots of white owners complaining of the Y forum right now. They replaced my front bumper with one that matches a lot better.

Dust in the paint is completely normal for Tesla. You will see that in many posts and YouTube videos.

Water in the taillights is common, even in the replacement units. The solution is to add sealant to the seam on the top of the light. I did that, and no more problems with fogging tail lights. Just get some Sugru (moldable silicone) for $10 at Walmart to put over the seam, and you'll fix your problem for good. Plenty of DIY videos on how to get the tails out.

I also bought a demo, and aside from the common steering wheel alignment and bumper paint mismatch, it was absolutely perfect with no sign of wear. But it only had 150 miles on it, not 2K plus, and I got over $1000 off for the 150 miles, and another $3K in savings by taking that car instead of waiting and missing the tax break and the price increase, so for $4k total savings with 150 miles and no actual wear and tear, just normal Tesla poor quality, I think I did pretty well.

Hi everyone!

My name is Art, and I hope to be here for a while(fingers crossed). I am brand spanking new to the Tesla community, I mean fresh, literally just purchased a 2020 model 3 performance less than 5 days ago and I have been loving life since the very first test drive. However, everyday I am becoming more bothered by things that I honestly would not have expected to bother me or allowed to bother me individually, to be honest, collectively they are putting some serious doubt in my mind. Maybe not on Tesla overall as a brand so much, but for sure on this red-rocket I purchased last week.

Now let me explain something, I am a car guy thru and thru. Having worked in my past life as a bomb-ass technician, then as the best former-service consultant at a Honda dealership here in NoVA for a period 10 years (4 years out the game currently) I know clients and people can be picky about silly and small things, but as my fellow dealership people know that’s something that comes with the territory with a mass produced item coming from an assembly line, manufacturers defects I understand, as I said it’s a machine after all.

Any-who I have a favor to ask of the wiser, and thus all knowing community/forums, I come seeking your counsel and advice. The 2020 Tesla model 3 performance I purchased was apparently one of the fleet cars from Montgomery mall... at first inspection it looked good, I expected some, and had allowed myself to forgive some damages as far as cosmetics go. I saw some minor things like scratches and scuffs, looking for big things expense wise I found one rim to have curb rash, which sucked but it was whatever at that point. Since they knocked off almost $2800 down from the price for the fact that it was going to be sold to me with 2,2xx miles (fleet car?) and they were not going to repair “anything” on it but instead give that discount for both miles and minor cosmetics. So I said let’s do it! Let’s tap these screens, wire some money, and be on our way. The problems starts not even 20 minutes later when I got off the call I was on prior to leaving the dealership... this model 3 only had front tweeters that were working, nothing else worked. Not the sub, not the door speakers, nor rear shelf speakers....nada. I thought to myself, well that’s a blower but heck it could be caused from one of the connectors or something simple, no harm no foul. I called them to take it back the next morning to have service do their thing. At this point I still wanted it and understood completely, it’s a mass produced machine.. *sugar* happens, so now that’s a scheduled repair for this Friday. The repair order said the tech checked the wiring box above in the headliner and then checked the rear amp which he found to be the issue and would order it and mobile install Friday when it arrives. Since then, ever day I’m noticing things that have only added more doubt to my choice.

The second day I owned the car, I took it to a car wash I use regularly and had it cleaned up since it was delivered in a dirty condition. As I was waiting for the car to be finished up I was looking at the outside and noticed my left side inner-tail light assembly is leaking internally and has active moisture, which any tech and inspector know fails VA safety inspections right away...Ok, I can see this isn’t a big deal, warranty should cover it, just annoying to have to make yet another trip out to the service center and more so now the doubt on either the seal of that light or if it was yet again something else they could have swapped out from another clients car and used this car I own as a donor car(it happens far more often than you would think, specially from loaner cars or company fleet vehicles)

So with no sound to enjoy while charging, I get to sit there and inspect the car a little better and longer, it wasn’t until yesterday when the sun finally came out in full force that I noticed the front bumper has been repainted as well, which I noticed after seeing a flec of some dirt or dust trapped into the paint/clear coat on the hood. So right now my concerns are as follow... I know for a fact that dealers will do a PDI (pre-delivery inspection) to test and inspection the vehicle for full function and make sure there is nothing abnormal going on, that clearly wasn’t the case here as the speakers simply did not work, the taillight has moisture on a car that was manufactured less than 4 months ago, they sprayed it without disclosing it(which if I’m correct the dealer doesn’t have to if it’s under a certain amount or only one panel? I never worked sales dept.) but also has that one spot on the hood that bothers me to no end, knowing that’s the weak point in the paint, meaning it’s the first place to flake off and or cause further damage as it’s not a even smooth coat on the panel.

So first and foremost, can I even return or exchange this specific model 3? It was purchased with just over 2200 miles and now has 2800, but is less than a week old. If so would you do it being that it’s casting a shadow of doubt about what they did or did not know prior to selling it. Am I taking it further than I should? Would love to hear your experiences and also if anyone has also had a rear amp go bad? Or delivered it with issues? Thanks for your time in advance and I will see what they say at the SC today.

View attachment 588469 View attachment 588473

Hi Art! Now you have me worried. I recently leased a red standard range from the Montgomery area with 1200 miles on it. I pick it up on Friday. Will report if I find similar issues!

As a car guy, former technician, electrical engineer, and performance Model 3 owner, I have to agree with the "return it" sentiment.

$2800 is just not enough to justify the wear and tear the car endured as a fleet car. Never mind the other issues (tesla is known for issues on brand new cars too), I just don't think you got nearly a good enough deal to offset more than a thousand miles of hard launches and high speed attempts.

Tl;dr: return it if you can.

You got 7 days to return it if you’re not happy, then buy something else.

Fred
I would agree with Randy S against returning at this point. Though the $2800 discount seems tepid (if you had bought new, how much of a hit would you take to resell it with 2200 miles?), it is supply and demand I guess. The bumper/paint issue may bite you come trade in time but if the CarFax is clean, perhaps not. Who knows what another couple of months, let alone years, of "normal" wear and tear will inflict? It will take you a month of Sundays to get your money back and another who knows to get a replacement. Save the hassle, enjoy the car...they are nothing but an ice cube on the installment plan anyway but economics is not now, nor has it ever been, why anyone on this forum bought their car. Drive and Smile.

Just like most people suggested. If this was my car, I would return it because $2800 does not justify these issue. $5k difference, I may think about it. $8k difference, I would keep the car.

Now, how you make your decision has to be entirely for your own thinking. The car runs fine and those issues might be dealt with. But once you know about the places of the car with issue, you will always look at those places. If you can feel fine about it, keep the car. If not, return if possible.

Whatever is repaired will never match to the rest of the car 100%. So I know I will feel uncomfortable to look at those places with a discount of only $2800.

Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot