Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you Robotaxi your car?

Would you Robotaxi your car?

• Yes

Votes: 51 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 91 64.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yikes ! If everybody is buying another car to do business, we are going to have a lot more cars on the road ! :)
Yup.
I could buy 10 Tesla's and send them to a big touristy City and put them to work.
After two years, they are paid off with 150k miles on them. I would sell them for $15k each. That's $150k in my pocket.
And repeat with new set of ten cars.

Lol. Unless of course FSD gets updated to avoid potholes..

Elon said that yes in a future version the car will avoid potholes:
Karthikeyan on Twitter
Db9qCLt.png

Yup.
I could buy 10 Tesla's and send them to a big touristy City and put them to work.
After two years, they are paid off with 150k miles on them. I would sell them for $15k each. That's $150k in my pocket.
And repeat with new set of ten cars.
If its that profitable Tesla will keep those cars rather than selling them to you.

Yikes ! If everybody is buying another car to do business, we are going to have a lot more cars on the road ! :)
It would be a net decrease in cars on the road. Demand for travel won't go up much, but cars will be used at 80% capacity instead of 10%. Fewer people will bother to buy cars.

Another thought I had: Tesla might let people "subscribe" to cars at a much lower cost than traditional car ownership. With a mandatory requirement to allocate certain times of day or amount of hours for it to be a fleet Robotaxi. This might be an interesting approach if everything related to the car's maintenance and insurance was handled for you and you're basically buying a timeshare on a vehicle for your manual driving needs.

At full charge my car will go 200 miles with 40 miles as reserve. Assuming 50% occupancy rate. 100 miles of money making.
If 5 mile ride costs $5, $100 will be made per full charge. $5 for electricity. Tesla takes 30%.
Therefore, I make $65 per full charge.
At places like NYC or LV, that would be possible.
$65x365 days/yr = $23,725/yr.

Car will accrue 73K miles a year.

With that many miles per year it doesn't seem profitable.
Don't forget a huge chunk of that would go to taxes.
And you'd probably go through two sets of tires plus other maintenance.

It just doesn't add up. Maybe if you can get the car for $25K 3 year lease?

Little different circumstances there; Turo is having someone else driving it & your car insurance is quite expensive when you rent your car out.

With Robotaxi, your car is driving itself (much safer) and Tesla is liable for any issues.
So when the car is an accident, regardless of fault, Tesla will guarantee an equivalent or better Tesla loaner from day 1 for however long it will take them to fix it, or $500 cash a day to rent one from Hertz or somewhere else if they don't have available loaners? Same if someone pukes all over the car and it needs new upholstry, etc. Right? And of course, they pay more per mile than they charge as an overage on a lease, sufficiently more to pay for wearables like tires and still bring profit? All that in writing and backed by Elon's personal wealth? Sure, I'd consider. Without the above written guarantees, not a chance. Someone hits the robotaxi and I have no car for 6 months while Tesla is looking for spare parts. No thanks.

All this of course purely hypothetical, Tesla is not going to have robotaxis by the time time soon. Some light reading on why even in the most positive ourlook, if everything goes just right, still not going to happen in the timeline Elon dreams of.
Tesla’s autonomy event: Impressive progress with an unrealistic timeline/

I envision RoboTaxi as a call requests comes to your phone. If the route is acceptable you OK on your smart phone. Your automatous Tesla will open your garage door, drive to the location and unlock a door when the customer enters a code. Customer will touch no controls. Owner will still be in total control of the vehicle.

It will drive the patron to the destination, unlock the door and the ride will end when the door is closed again. Patron will be billed and $ put in your account. Tesla will stay out for other fares or return to it's garage.

Owner will profit about $30,000/yr. Tesla will provide insurance and feedback. In car video monitoring will provide consistant surveilance of the patron for the duration of the ride.

Seems like a no brainer for me. Most people keep their cars parked 90% of the time anyways. For a car with a million mile driveline the profits could be considerable, and allow many to live a life of leisure, with just a few of them in their fleet.

Making money while you sleep...

Reactions: davedavedave