TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you sacrifice EAP to get AWD-P?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Nisesen, Aug 10, 2018.

?

Would you sacrifice EAP for performance?

1. Yes, I'd rather have performance than EAP

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. Yes, I'd get the P model now and buy EAP later

21 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. No, I'd rather have EAP than Performance

36 vote(s)
    43.4%
  4. this is too hard of a choice for a mortal to make

9 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Nisesen

Nisesen Member

I'm currently sitting on a fully loaded EAP + FSD, white interior, MSM AWD configuration at around 65000. For only 2k more I could get the performance model with white interior, AWD, no performance upgrade package, and no EAP/FSD. Would you sacrifice EAP to get the performance model? Those of you who have gotten your cars already, do you have any regrets?

FWIW, I drive a 35 mile commute each week, and would probably get more use from EAP. I'm just wondering what you guys would do personally.

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Absolutely not. Going fast is occasionally fun. Autopilot is frequently useful.

3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

get the go fast. you can add EAP/FSD later.

• Helpful x 1
  4. Chris350

Chris350 Member

I find the M3 plenty fast as is..... EAP is something I use everyday..... and getting from 0-60 in 1.5 seconds faster doesn't help me get anywhere faster....

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. Nisesen

Nisesen Member

I wish I could get a damn test drive so I could make up my mind already.

6. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

I have similar config but decided it was not worth it to sacrifice the sport wheels, EAP and FSD.
    EAP and FSD will help the car keep it's value (depreciation) since they are more expensive to add later.

I feel much better wasting 8k on EAP+FSD software than I do on an unlock to make the car go 1 second faster to 60.

I test drive a 75D, and I think the 3D will be similar in acceleration.

7. UtahIsRad

UtahIsRad Member

Going LR killed the option of EAP for me, at least up front, and I’m fine with that. However, if I went P it would be hard to not get $5k upgrade package or basically spend a similar amount after delivery on suspension, wheels, tires, and brakes.

8. cella

cella Member

It's a question of personal priorities, but honestly I'd be surprised if they didn't make EAP more accessible once they are done "milking" the early adopters. A driver assistance package for $5k on a $35k car doesn't seem appropriate. Perhaps they'll unbundle individual features, offer subscriptions, or just lower the price outright at some point. On the other hand, I could imagine that FSD may become much more expensive when it's fully functional (assuming it gets to this point while people still have the cars that they are buying today).

9. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

Get the test drive... you won't even question getting the P... lol I drove the RWD, then the P model and I was literally like... "Ok how do I make this work"... I had to have it. I read they're offering trails of the EAP, so even if you don't purchase it now you can add it in later.

10. stonelance

stonelance Member

I got the P, but one thing that I thought was funny to consider is the idea of paying money to get a faster car that is supposed to eventually drive itself. I guess I'm paying money so the AI can have more fun driving. :)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

I got my car before my test drive - it's still pending someplace I guess...

12. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I traded EAP for Performance Upgrade. I like driving too much, and my regular commute wouldn't really justify the price of EAP.

• Like x 2
  13. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Performance, no 20" rims, no extra software - can always do that later if I want... right now too fun to drive the car myself

• Like x 1
  14. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Assuming choices were binary - can’t have both:

If I could have a second faster on my X or EAP - I’ll tske EAP.

If I could keep performance or EAP on my 3 - I’ll take performance.

3 is meant for driving, not cruising.

• Like x 1
  15. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

with all the nags, I'd for sure get Performance and hold off on EAP. You can always add EAP when financially you're in a better place or the software is better refined. This is from a guy who has EAP 2.5

16. pleeau

pleeau Member

I second this. My X has EAP. My P3D does not.

• Like x 1
  17. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Argh ..I guess I’m the outlier ..my X has EAP and P and FSD...and....:oops:

• Love x 2
  18. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Just realized the Socratic method would be the best way to address the poll question.

If I were OP, would I prefer NASCAR or Bingo as a hobby?

• Funny x 1
  19. Kanting

Kanting Member

I would think FSD will get more Youtube clicks.

• Funny x 1
  20. outie

outie Active Member

I third this. Even with the X I don't even use EAP on a daily basis. If I just drive around town running errands I don't use it. The P3D I am getting will be doing 100% errand running and no cruising or trips, so EAP is not needed.

• Like x 1