Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you set the automated blinkers one-touch to more than 3 blinks if you could?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only noticed the 4th blink at freeway speeds.

I don't think that's the reason, I drive around 100 miles per day, out of which 95% are on the freeway, and it just blinks 3 times. And I clearly remember having a 4th at low speed (exiting a roundabout).

That 4th blink is really strange!

- - - Updated - - -

Every car I have previously owned that had this feature was set at three blinks. I am used to three and it is adequate for me. If I want more, I hold the lever down.

Yep, holding the lever down is also a technique I often use. However, I wouldn't need to if it could be set to 4-5 blinks (I personally find 6 too many)...

Anyway, I see many people agree on 3 being too few blinks. Now, let's see if Tesla picks this one up :)

I need to blink three times BEFORE starting to change lanes, it is legally necessary here in Japan. In fact many people including myself use only three blinks to complete the lane change on highways, but if the police is present I'd be careful to blink three, push the blinker stick one more time and change lanes.

So yes I would like it to be 4 or 5, or configurable.

if I need more than 3 I just hold the stalk down. I think if the quick tap made more than 3 it would be a pain. Unless the lane departure software notices that I have finished the lane change and cancels the blinkers.

Personally, I find 3 to be sufficient, but the odd time the car decides to do 4 doesn't hurt. But 5 should be too many for me. A configurable count of lane change flashes would be helpful, between 3 and 6 seems to be the consensus range.

By the way, if you quick tap the stalk while it's doing the 3 (or 4), it will cancel the count.

Got a reply from Tesla:

"Dear Mr. Lopez,

thank you for getting in touch with Tesla Motors.

Your Feature Request is logged in our system and forwarded to the development department and maybe this will be a new feature in the future.

In case you would have any further ideas or feature requests, please feel free to share it with us, so we can make the Model S even better.

Thank you and have a nice day"

Let's see if future software updates include this option!

I'm afraid I simply cannot understand the logic behind '3 blinks is sufficient'. There you are humming along minding your own business in lane one of 2 or more when you come up behind a slower moving vehicle in busy traffic (typical rush hour overtaking scenario). Assuming each 'blink' takes about a second to complete. Are you saying that 3 seconds is sufficient time for a/ drivers around you to notice your indicator, b/ potentially adjust their speed/direction to accommodate your 'request', and c/ move completely from one lane to the an adjacent one in a smooth and safe manner? Nope. Nor do I. I suspect people who do are those you see who starting indicating when their first set of wheels are already on or over the lane markings. Irritating and potentially dangerous. MW

5 blinks is an absolute minimum in my view.

I'm afraid I simply cannot understand the logic behind '3 blinks is sufficient'. There you are humming along minding your own business in lane one of 2 or more when you come up behind a slower moving vehicle in busy traffic (typical rush hour overtaking scenario). Assuming each 'blink' takes about a second to complete. Are you saying that 3 seconds is sufficient time for a/ drivers around you to notice your indicator, b/ potentially adjust their speed/direction to accommodate your 'request', and c/ move completely from one lane to the an adjacent one in a smooth and safe manner? Nope. Nor do I. I suspect people who do are those you see who starting indicating when their first set of wheels are already on or over the lane markings. Irritating and potentially dangerous. MW

5 blinks is an absolute minimum in my view.

First, I NEVER make a lane change or any other maneuver that would require action from any other driver. I NEVER pull out into a street that would require another car to brake. I NEVER change lanes that would require a following driver in the adjacent lane to slow down to let me in. While we are on the topic, I get really irritated at drivers who think that the blinkers give them permission to change lanes. Indicators are required to alert drivers around you of your intentions, but do NOT give you right of way. I've even taken a friend to task about this who caused a pile up. His defense "...I had my blinkers on...", as if that meant everyone else had to give way just because he was indicating. Appropriately, he got a ticket for negligent driving. If you are driving defensively, and change lanes such that it would not require any action from anyone else around you, 3 is perfectly sufficient to indicate what you are doing. A configurable count from 3 to 6 would cover 99% of drivers' preferences.

A configurable count from 3 to 6 would cover 99% of drivers' preferences.

That's my point. Taking into account the software update possibilities of the Model S, this should be an easy fix to implement in the next software release. It would increase safety and driving comfort.

I really see this as an easy job for Tesla, with great benefits for their customers... us :smile:

First, I NEVER make a lane change or any other maneuver that would require action from any other driver. I NEVER pull out into a street that would require another car to brake. I NEVER change lanes that would require a following driver in the adjacent lane to slow down to let me in. While we are on the topic, I get really irritated at drivers who think that the blinkers give them permission to change lanes. Indicators are required to alert drivers around you of your intentions, but do NOT give you right of way. I've even taken a friend to task about this who caused a pile up. His defense "...I had my blinkers on...", as if that meant everyone else had to give way just because he was indicating. Appropriately, he got a ticket for negligent driving. If you are driving defensively, and change lanes such that it would not require any action from anyone else around you, 3 is perfectly sufficient to indicate what you are doing. A configurable count from 3 to 6 would cover 99% of drivers' preferences.

While I agree with your driving methodology (and usually follow it myself), my first license in Florida was taught with "100 feet with the blinkers, then complete lane change, then another 100 feet, finally turn off blinkers." To this day, I still drive that way. With that driving methodology, 3 blinks is likely to be insufficient for me.