Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you still buy a Model Y now if you could do it again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Model Y and love it but wondered if an opportunity rose in the next year or two, would you still bought the Y?

Me, I think I would have saved a little more and waited for the Rivian R1S or a Toyota SUV as I need a little more space.
Why do you expect the toyota to be bigger?

Rivian is going to have plenty of issues. Its not possible to start from zero and have a reliable and well designed vehicle "out of the gate". I will consider other brands as they prove they can build a quality EV.

I thought about the 3, Y, Rivian, Polestar 2, E-mustang, ID.4, e-tron, i-pace, and others.
When it came to making a decision, Tesla was the best choice for me.
Yes, I would buy the Y again. Actually, IMHO, the Y is much better now than when I bought it.
As with most new things, waiting a while to get the bugs worked out tends to be better.
It's also much like buying a computer... if you wait 3 months a newer, shiny, faster CPU will be available.
You either decide to wait... and wait and wait... or you get it now.
I've also read for the past 4 or 5 years, how solid state batteries will upend the EV industry. Very possibly correct. When?
Next week? Next month? Next year? Right now I know of no one that are making solid state batteries with enough energy to power 1 EV, much less making them in a quantity to run a fleet. Again, you can wait, or you can enjoy the EV now and realize that maybe in 5 or 10 years, there is likely something better to come along.
Yes, I would buy the Y again today. Well actually, I'd wait for the new EV incentives to get put into place... no need to spend more money than I have to.
The smile I get from driving it is worth it to me. The love I feel for my car reminds me of when I was in my early 20's. Never could afford that RX-7, but the desire was there.

I’d probably still get it, in total hindsight I may have just bit the bullet on the MX. Pre-refresh/price increase though because I was already a bit uncomfortable with the cost.

I was tempted with the Mach-e too but wouldn’t buy a first year Ford. They did a great job for year 1 but I wasn’t really blown out of the water. Now if the new GT would have come with 375+ miles I would have had a hard time deciding.

Yes indeed. I have my Bolt for around-town trips when my wife and I need two cars at once (exceedingly rare during the pandemic, but otherwise common), and the Model Y for long-distance. I wouldn't buy anything other than a Tesla for road trippin' until the charging infrastructure catches up to where the Superchargers are now. I expect that'll be around 2025. Traveling in a Tesla (at least along the US east coast) requires no significant extra planning or time compared to a gasser; using CCS or CHAdeMO still requires real planning effort and entails a certain risk of finding that one charger out of service.