Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you still buy a Model Y now if you could do it again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting on mine, but some of the comments I'm reading about Tesla's Customer Service is concerning. Is the awful customer service a regional issue?

It’s a combo of both having some areas being better than others and also that people are more likely to complain than praise on the internet so it’s a bit skewed
That said Tesla is expanding fast and it’s going to have growing pains including service issues

Reactions: NeverGoingBack
I traded my 2018 M3 to MY and definitely will buy another Tesla.

Same, I kinda wish I didn't have to trade in my '18 M3 for my MY, so I could keep both! The M3 was such a great car and thinking about what I traded it in to Tesla for, compared to availability/pricing now, doesn't help!

The MY is just a very impressive continuation of the M3. Excellent in most every way!

The only thing that would stop me from buying my MY would be if the new MX was out. I really wanted a MX but didn't get it because I really dislike the old vertical screen. If the new MX was out and it was good to drive (never driven a MX) I may consider that.

Tesla Superchargers for me was the biggest factor which makes owning an EV viable.
(For just going to work and being local, any EV will do.)
It still needs work on getting the 360 degree overhead parking view and I still feel the HVAC isn't as good as other cars.
No regrets on the MY. The next 10 years will be very interesting as the industry catches up.

I am new to Tesla...very new. But so far I am impressed. I did not realize how much I miss not having gauges in front of me. I am able to focus on the road. The ride/performance and comfort of the MY is just about what I expected. The reason I passed on the ID/4 and Mach-E was lack of solid infrastructure for charging. Tesla has everyone beat. Also, I like the simple design of interior/exterior.

I do agree in a few years there will be a whole lot more options. Until that day comes Tesla has my business.

Between my Y and my 3, I would buy the Y again 100%. The 3 is still probably like 80%.
I am on the fence between the two. I am looking at the performance version of both. What do you really like about the MY? Why don't you rate the M3 as high?
Same, I kinda wish I didn't have to trade in my '18 M3 for my MY, so I could keep both! The M3 was such a great car and thinking about what I traded it in to Tesla for, compared to availability/pricing now, doesn't help!

The MY is just a very impressive continuation of the M3. Excellent in most every way!
So why did you trade for the MY? Was it for more room?

Sell it now, you will get what you paid for it, and if you got a tax credit you will make money.

Seriously thought about it. But with Tesla doing skechy things with the value of FSD at resale (another reason for not buying a TSLA), I will have to sell it to a private party and do not want to deal with that for now. Hopefully, considering that the company does not deliver FSD, we will be (at least partially?) refunded and can sell the car to buy another good electric car (probably a lucid in my case).

I'm still waiting on mine, but some of the comments I'm reading about Tesla's Customer Service is concerning. Is the awful customer service a regional issue?

It's totally random. I had great customer service in San Francisco and terrible customer service in Colorado that asked me to pay to investigate defects (haha). My neighbor in Colorado got a lot of things taken care of without issue while I have been asked to pay for it. So totally random, I just think that should not be the case.

I've owned my MYP for 10 months and 9500 miles. It's a very fun car. Would I buy it again... I'm not sure. Road trips are less convenient than in an ICE car. Plan on lots of extra time charging instead of driving. Driving with traffic I lose about 1/3 of the range. Around town is a blast. The tires without much sidewall makes for a harsh ride on Michigan roads. My winter tires on 18's improve it a bit. I'll be interested in the Rivian R1S or the upcoming redesigned 4Runner for my next vehicle.

@UP Finn - thanks for the honest feedback. You touched on one of my concerns, ride quality. I am in Florida now where a lot of roads are pretty smooth but when I went on some rougher ones, can't say I was impressed with either the M3P or MYP. We may have to relocate to either Chicago or NYC and the roads tend to really suck there, and pretty much everywhere. So that is a concern of mine.

When you drive with traffic, what are the speeds you are running, like 70-80 mph? Where I live, median speed is probably 75 mph with a lot of people running faster than that. Basically as long as you stay under 79 in a 70 zone, you won't get a ticket. A 30% range hit would be significant if that is what we'll experience driving at those speeds. Turns an MYP into maybe a 220 mile car if you leave a bit of a buffer.

Trips aren't as much in our future. We have a small child and until bigger, we make a lot of pit stops already. So if I can line those up near a supercharger it shouldn't be too bad. So far the longest has been 7 hours and TBH, it was hell with the kid. It should have been a 5 hour trip including gas stops. If flying is an option, it will be my first choice next time.

The Rivian does look interesting. Performance stats look good, and the interior definitely looks upscale. The tax credit makes it even more attractive. I would be concerned about any new vehicle's teething issues. If they can quickly address them, then it could be a great option.

Would absolutely buy again in a heartbeat, and agree with the comments about road trips.

When I did a coast-to-coast in my Model 3 LR a couple years ago, I easily needed to add a day to the trip (maybe more) for Supercharger stops. At that time, the Supercharger stations along the I-80 corridor were kind of set up so that you’d only have to stop at every other one, but if you’re only charging to 80-90% and driving 80+, you’re cutting it uncomfortably close, so I ended up stopping at nearly every station to top off.

I’m sure the charging time issues will be solved over the next decade - 5 min 20-80% is attainable with new chemistries and higher power stations - at which point this will be a non-issue. Until then, roadtripping in an ICE car is definitely slightly lower stress.

I am on the fence between the two. I am looking at the performance version of both. What do you really like about the MY? Why don't you rate the M3 as high?

So why did you trade for the MY? Was it for more room?
Yes extra space for our gear and sleeping-in as well as the ride height/off road potential. I actually did quite a bit of driving off road (to get to campsites/trail heads, etc.) and RWD M3 never let me down. The only issue was ground clearance.
Trips aren't as much in our future. We have a small child and until bigger, we make a lot of pit stops already. So if I can line those up near a supercharger it shouldn't be too bad. So far the longest has been 7 hours and TBH, it was hell with the kid. It should have been a 5 hour trip including gas stops. If flying is an option, it will be my first choice next time.
Also, wrt to road trips, it completely depends on what you consider a road trip. I'm not going to debate the point but instead mention that for single day 4-8hr road trips I found my M3/MY to be excellent. I had no issues with charging and most of that time was spent using the toilet/getting food/stretching legs. There is a bit of an art to it and now that there are numerous 250kW chargers, I've found the whole experience to be enjoyable. The Auto-Pilot has also been incredible and completely eliminated a large portion of the work for long haul trips.

Last edited: