Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you still buy a Model Y now if you could do it again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that's what I'm suspecting as well.

They will likely increase the range marginally but will put less battery. BUT: less battery = less weight which means better performance and range (theoretically).

It'd be interesting to see regardless.
Real world charging dynamics, regardless of what they end up doing will be interesting to watch too.
It won’t be boring that’s for sure.

Reactions: Arctic_White
Yeah, that's what I'm suspecting as well.

They will likely increase the range marginally but will put less battery. BUT: less battery = less weight which means better performance and range (theoretically).

It'd be interesting to see regardless.

The 4680's are lighter to begin with so I doubt they'll add less battery to it, and having a "suv" in that price range have a 400+ range will make it even more enticing to ICE owners

The 4680's are lighter to begin with so I doubt they'll add less battery to it, and having a "suv" in that price range have a 400+ range will make it even more enticing to ICE owners

While I would agree with you and want what you wrote, think about it from Tesla's point: batteries is the constraint. Therefore, why would they give out more battery than is required?

They'd leave the 400+ mile range for the S Plaid+ and possibly the X Plaid+. I don't believe that 400+ mile range is coming on a 3/Y over the next 5 years, unless you want to pay a fair bit.

Look at the competition. Well, there is none really. LOL. Tesla's competitors can't even hang with Tesla right now, so why would Tesla give away the farm?

They'd rather save the battery and get more cars on the road, or focus on the Semi, the CT, and possibly the Model "2."

Either way, I'd be interested to see what the next 5 years unfold.

Reactions: Mugginstwo
While I would agree with you and want what you wrote, think about it from Tesla's point: batteries is the constraint. Therefore, why would they give out more battery than is required?

They'd leave the 400+ mile range for the S Plaid+ and possibly the X Plaid+. I don't believe that 400+ mile range is coming on a 3/Y over the next 5 years, unless you want to pay a fair bit.

Look at the competition. Well, there is none really. LOL. Tesla's competitors can't even hang with Tesla right now, so why would Tesla give away the farm?

They'd rather save the battery and get more cars on the road, or focus on the Semi, the CT, and possibly the Model "2."

Either way, I'd be interested to see what the next 5 years unfold.
Right, my thoughts too. Maybe they could do an Extra long range model y and charge more. But more likely to begin with (1yr+) I expect we’ll see roughly comparable specs.