Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been driving a P90DLX for the past two weeks while my S100D is in service. To put it bluntly I have missed my S every single day. Tomorrow I pick my car back up and let me tell you I can’t wait.

My girlfriend who has wanted an X for as long as she’s known they existed is now searching for a Model-S after living with an X for two weeks.

The only advantage I see to an X is the towing. For us the S does everything else better. We had the S packed full and I mean packed with goodies from a week vacation. It took some thinking to figure out how to fit the same items in the X. The doors are a fun showpiece but annoying in the garage. In my opinion it has fun gimmicks to attract attention but overall not worth the added expense and range decrease. Apologies to any X owners as I’m sure you all love your cars but if someone gave me an X for free I’d sell it and buy a S.

I had a 2016 X90 that Tesla repurchased with multiple issues. I have a 2018 X100 for two months now and so far zero issues and MUCH better QC than the 2016. I was VERY nervous about buying the 2018 but the driving experience is like nothing else. In a couple of years I might look at other EV SUV's but none will have the Tesla secret sauce that is the supercharger network. I don't supercharge often but when I do it makes all the difference in the world to me being able to take those longer trips. I also went with the 5 seater which really ups the utility over the 6 seat version.

Nobody can ever tell you exactly what will happen with your specific car in the future. With every brand, some owners end up happy, some not. The best we can do is talk in a statistical sense about what is most likely. But as others have noted, reading the forums does not give you anything near a valid statistical sample. One quick check on this: do you get the same sense from talking to owners in person that you do from reading the forums? The impressions I get are extremely different.

According to the statistics on customer satisfaction, Tesla is #1. (That's not to say everything is good. Statistically speaking, the X has a worse reliability record than most cars. But remember that most cars of all brands are just fine. And that most X problems are noises and cosmetics. And...that customer satisfaction inherently includes reliability problems included with other factors. So not everything is good...but more things are good than with other cars).

So if you don't buy a Tesla because you are afraid you might not be satisfied...well, I can't say for sure what will happen to YOU in the future, so you might be right. However, statistically speaking...you will be less happy with whatever you buy instead.

We love our X. One year old, and the only problem was a cracked wiper fluid filler neck. You should buy one, because you are statistically likely to love it.

If you haven't got kids a S or 3 makes more sense. But if you have got kids, as a family wagon the X is unbeatable.

Those who say the FWD doors are gimmicky clearly haven't had the pleasure of needing to load a toddler in to the car, especially when parked in a tight space. Every time we go to a shop car park am still amazed how little space it takes for the doors to open fully :).

The only thing stopping me from trading in our 75D X for a P100D X is the money, we just cannot afford it. We've now covered 26k in the X, after initial delivery bugs sorted no issues at all. Plan to keep it till the battery warranty is gone, at current rate of use will be well over 100K by than.

We will also get a Model 3 at somepoint, but the X will remain our main family car for a long time yet :).

Forum Members,
I'm seeking some advice/recommendations.
After ordering a inventory Model X and preparing to pick it up, I received a call cancelling the pickup the day before.
After speaking with several representatives I found out the car was damaged and needed repairs. The problem I discovered did not seem to be damage as much as the car was not operating. They told me they needed a week to fix it and would let me know when it was ready.
Needless to say I do not want a $100K "Damaged" vehicle. So I went to the showroom and placed a pre-production order.
Now after searching the forum on topics such as reliability and repairs, I've become quite nervous as to whether or not I should cancel.
I guessing that as Tesla gets more experienced producing the vehicle the quality of the build should improve. The plan is to receive the vehicle by year end. Which might mean trying they will produce a lot of cars very quickly to get them delivered by year end. That could be a bad thing?
All advice good or bad will be greatly appreciated. Long answers are not required. Maybe just a simple summary and a yes or no vote.

My X has spent about half of the time that I owned it at the SC. Am I frustrated, you betcha, but will I give up on the X? Hell no! Why? There is nothing like it on the market and it's so much fun to drive.

I think no one can really answer this question for you, and I completely understand your dilemma because I was in a similar situation. Something else to consider is the potential for repairs (we are still beta testers of the X for Tesla) once your factory warranty expires. You may want to purchase extended warranty at that time or if you want to wing it and see what happens then you should also be prepared to spend significant amount of $$$$ on repairs.

You might get lucky and get a car that may never have an issues for years, but it's fair to point out the above to a new or potential X owner. If you can wait a few years then you might be able to get a more perfected and flawless X as Tesla keeps improving it, as you already know. I wouldn't rush to buy to get the tax credit because the price may come down with competition as well as due to the tax credit coming to an end. Good luck!

Ditto in a heart beat. 2 years and 28K, 75D no issues. Best for long trips. I carry people, bikes, skis, and can two. Would get the 100D will all the bells and whistles except they no longer have the original 7-seat configuration and free supercharging that I have. A friend just picked their P100D last month, now I'm just jealous. Couldn't afford that one though.

Forgot to mentioned picked that up a Model 3 too. Most efficient and less complicated Great fun commuter, good for a family of 4 or less, and drive drive further. Not as comfortable as the X. Can carry a lot for it size, but the X can hold a lot more and 7 people. Really feel pampered in the X technology wise.

My X was built in August 2018, i have had NONE of the common mentioned issues, when i picked it up, based on what i have read i was expecting at least some minor issues. But was very pleased none of those were on mine. I have not had any other issues either. Granted i havent even put 3k miles on it yet. I did order the new vehicle protection package, and have some new wheels coming. That will be my first SC visit. Im trying to find any other minor things i can to take care of all at once, but havent found any.

I have also fully vinyl wrapped the car, tinted, installed some interior lighting, and front/rear lighted T logos, which required wire splicing.

So my car has had some parts removed/put back and no issues with seams/seals/electrical

I would definately buy the X again.

We bought the X for the style, look and ride

We are a couple, with no kids and didnt need the extra seating but enjoyed the idea of room
We got the 6 seat without center console, and usually leave the third row seats down.

Says its a SUV but in reality its more like a hatchback, but no complaints.

15K miles in on our Feb 18 MX. No regrets at all, the car is an amazing family hauler. Build quality is not perfect, but only very trivial stuff to complain about. In general it's a pretty solid feeling car and drives great for a large (by Euro standards) SUV. The only thing bugging me at the moment is a buzzing door speaker grille, but that's going to be an easy fix.

Probably worth mentioning software bugs too. The UI is generally brilliant and way ahead of the competition, but let down a little by a few random silly bugs that come and go with OTA updates. This is one area where Tesla could improve, but overall I wouldn't drive anything else at the moment. It's not as if any other cars are totally perfect in every way!

FWIW I was also concerned before buying the X from reading the considerable amount of negative forum comments and consumer reliability reports, but I took the risk and am now totally glad I ignored them. I would order another without a second thought as there is still no direct competition for the X.

Model S owner for 2 years. Sold it and bought an 2016 D90.X. No issue's.Wife Liked the X so much we will be picking up her X Dec 21. Looking forward to the Tesla Pickup.
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 11.56.18 AM.png

I would definitely buy one again, in fact we are planning to. 4th kid coming soon, wife takes kids to school I pick them up after work so.... Need another seven seater eventually.
Another X is definitely on the radar.... Unless the Y is a seven seater than we may get that instead. Don't need two expensive cars.