TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would you still have bought your model 3 if it never had autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Mr. Burrito, Nov 2, 2019.

?

Would you still have bought your model 3 if it never had autopilot?

1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    68.7%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    23.9%
  3. Not sure

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. Mr. Burrito

Mr. Burrito Member

Assuming Tesla's autopilot never existed and Tesla only had the typical auto emergency braking, lane keep assist, etc. that other manufacturers have (and no promise for a future system), would you have still have bought your model 3?

• Funny x 1
  2. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Yes. Awesome cars.

• Like x 4
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

After the test drive, Yes. The autopilot was a big plus and a fun part of the test drive. Everything else about the car was so solid and really sold the car to me. The best driving car I have ever driven.

• Like x 1
  4. Dionysius

Dionysius Member

100% yes, I didn’t even try autopilot till the third time I drove a Model 3.

• Like x 4
  5. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

BEV with great lines. Sold.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  6. pwykes

pwykes Member

Definitely. While autopilot is handy at times, I like to actually drive my cars and the M3 is the most fun car to drive that I've ever owned.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  7. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Member

I bought my car without AP a year ago (EAP at that time) and I have never added it. I am very happy with my. Are without Autopilot. I may buy it someday if it goes on sale.

• Like x 1
  8. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Absolutely not. No chance whatsoever. I’d be driving an Audi S4 in all likelihood and would probably be nearly as happy as I am now.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. T3SLAROD

T3SLAROD Member

Yes, the car is much more than AP. AP is like a nice extra feature but wouldn’t cry if it went away

• Like x 1
  10. kaffine

kaffine Member

Yes I would still have bought it. However if someone comes out with working approved FSD I will be looking to trade in for it.

11. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I voted yes because I have FSD and never use it ....... The main reason for me in gettin the 3 was the greater range when compared to the competition. Just my opinion .....

• Like x 2
  12. JBT66

JBT66 Member

Initially it was one of the primary attractors. However I had a budget for this purchase of the car and when push came to shove I opted for the hardware of AWD over the EAP package that was available at the time. I did pick up AP when it was on sale for 2K (love TACC for morning traffic commute) and wish I picked up FSD but wasn’t willing to do that at the time.
    If they do ever offer a software unlock for AWD to P- I’d chose that over FSD too.

13. AcesUp

AcesUp Member

probably not. autopilot a true game changer for my driving needs.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  14. vickh

vickh Active Member

#14 vickh, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    I bought a SR and still waiting for a Q4/Q1 special for a better price like the $2k mentioned earlier.

Meanwhile, they keep improving it. Also will use a credit card promo to soften the blow

• Like x 1
  15. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

Exactly. Without autopilot, it's just a quick car with a mediocre interior and unimpressive seats at a questionable price. With autopilot, I'm willing to give up a lot. I guess for the people who want to save the world the battery car situation is important but I'd have bought the model 3 if it ran on pureed babies and coal. Because autopilot.

• Funny x 3
  16. Ptheven

Ptheven Member

17. Ptheven

Ptheven Member

I get that viewpoint, I just can't agree with it. There's more to a car than looks and powertrain, at least for me.

• Disagree x 1
  18. outdoors

outdoors Always roaming

Great. OP was asking me and others about our thoughts. Not asking you what you thought about what I thought and shared. Enjoy your day.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  19. Ken's M3

Ken's M3 Member

Not only would I, but I did. LR AWD with only TACC and auto steer. Did not see a need to spend an additional $6k.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  20. Ptheven

Ptheven Member

…so you have autopilot.