Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you sub to autopilot if you got to choose what it came with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you sub to autopilot if you got to choose what it came with?
All Tesla’s currently being built come with Autopilot as standard.

If You mean a la cart FSD options, I would pay something to change lanes on turn signal and green light chimes. But decoupling those from FSD would lower the already abysmal 10% take rate, and Tesla knows this.

I would not pay a dime for either of the options listed in your poll.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I think you're asking if we could still pay for EAP over FSD, would we? YES. I got EAP with my 2018 Model 3 and I love it. I prefer driving (quickly) in the city, but for long highway drives (I did 7,500 miles Ottawa > Mexico > Cali > home in 2019) it's great.

I already have FSD, but I'd subscribe to priority fixes and support.

Where all have to do is report the issues I'm having with FSD beta, and they fix them (if possible).

Once it worked well for most areas I went to I'd unsubscribe.

This is why I think FSD should have always been a subscription package with really good customer service.

AP along with user initiated auto-lane change would be standard with the standard lousy customer service.

All Tesla’s currently being built come with Autopilot as standard.

If You mean a la cart FSD options, I would pay something to change lanes on turn signal and green light chimes. But decoupling those from FSD would lower the already abysmal 10% take rate, and Tesla knows this.

I would not pay a dime for either of the options listed in your poll.
Those are exactly all I want. Change lane and chimes.

Here's the list of FSD features:
  1. Navigate on Autopilot
  2. Auto Lane Change
  3. Autopark
  4. Summon
  5. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  6. Autosteer on city streets - coming soon
I currently have all of these. I don't think Summon and Autopark are very useful features in their current form. They would have to improve considerably to be more than parlor tricks. Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control is basically an extension to Autosteer/TACC (Basic Autopilot) and, IMO, is more of a prerelease technology demonstrator for Autosteer on city streets (FSD Beta) than a useful upgrade to Autopilot, primarily because I see little use of Autosteer/TACC on non-highway streets. Similarly, in its current and foreseeable form, Autosteer on city streets (FSD Beta) is basically just a "cool gadget" to play with because it really requires much more effort to use than simply driving yourself. As a separate feature, Autosteer on city streets (FSD Beta) would only be useful if truly L5, and could perform as a robotaxi or a long-distance summon feature without a driver. I really don't see much use in it otherwise and it is a really, really, really long way from that.

That leaves Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) with Auto Lane Change as the truly useful feature(s) in the FSD package. NoA is great on long trips -- really reduces driver fatigue -- and hopefully all of the work being done on FSD Beta will eventually filter down to NoA to make it even better, like truly hands-off L3 or L4. If that happens, I will be perfectly satisfied with my $5000 purchase of EAP back in 2018. The extra $2000 I paid for FSD? Well, I like tech stuff, but it was more of a splurge to "participate" in the roll out of bleeding-edge technology than adding a useful feature to the car, really.

Similarly, in its current and foreseeable form, Autosteer on city streets (FSD Beta) is basically just a "cool gadget" to play with because it really requires much more effort to use than simply driving yourself. As a separate feature, Autosteer on city streets (FSD Beta) would only be useful if truly L5, and could perform as a robotaxi or a long-distance summon feature without a driver. I really don't see much use in it otherwise and it is a really, really, really long way from that.

FSD Beta on city streets has been a lifesaver. Especially in really busy city streets. I guess our experiences is all relative to the roads we either have driven on or currently travel on. I've driven through some of the busiest streets, highways, and intersections; such as; the Magic Roundabout in the UK, Place Charles De Gaulle in Paris, Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo, Porta Maggiore in Rome, Hanoi Vietnam, Manhattan, LA, Chicago, and any other major city with too many cars. The common denominator with all these streets is that you will often find yourself in slow moving traffic, behind several flashing break lights, and beeping car horns.

That said, FSD Beta has made my life just a little bit less stressful and makes it the biggest selling point for the car. I no longer have to worry about icing my ankles and wrist down after constantly hinging them through stop-and-go traffic. Although the Tesla has not moved anywhere towards L5, it works well enough for those whose daily commute is spent in busy street traffic.

Especially in really busy city streets.
Here in Atlanta, GA, that kind of stop and go traffic is on the 5-8 lane interstates, where NoA is king. But what aspect of driving in slow moving traffic does FSD Beta give you that basic Autopilot (TACC/Autosteer) doesn't? You can sit in busy traffic and wait through multiple lights with just Autopilot. FSD Beta, on the other hand, is just not evolved enough to relax and let it drive through busy city streets. You never know when it's going to think the car in front of you is "parked" and it needs to go around vs. understanding that you're just in bumper-to-bumper traffic or 15 cars back from the light. Or, when it's going to jump into the left lane just 500 feet before your right turn. Just too crazy right now for it not to be work in having it engaged. If I want to relax on surface streets, I just drive myself.

Last edited:
FSD Beta on city streets has been a lifesaver. Especially in really busy city streets. I guess our experiences is all relative to the roads we either have driven on or currently travel on. I've driven through some of the busiest streets, highways, and intersections; such as; the Magic Roundabout in the UK, Place Charles De Gaulle in Paris, Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo, Porta Maggiore in Rome, Hanoi Vietnam, Manhattan, LA, Chicago, and any other major city with too many cars. The common denominator with all these streets is that you will often find yourself in slow moving traffic, behind several flashing break lights, and beeping car horns.

That said, FSD Beta has made my life just a little bit less stressful and makes it the biggest selling point for the car. I no longer have to worry about icing my ankles and wrist down after constantly hinging them through stop-and-go traffic. Although the Tesla has not moved anywhere towards L5, it works well enough for those whose daily commute is spent in busy street traffic.
I guess the developers are driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

FSD Beta is awful. Even in simple right hand turn with no traffic it sometimes stops short and crawls out. With the wheel wiggling all over. It often cancels because I’m trying to keep my hand loosely on the wheel and sometimes I accidentally catch it when whips the wheel around and cancels out. *sugar*, how do you let the wheel slide through your hand with Yoke. Damn I have an S on order. But no FSD this time around. Fool me twice…

The other day, clear roads, no cars, out of the blue it wanted to slam into a guard rail. It’s a miracle I caught it.

Everything was squeaky clean too.

I have the Xmas update.

Nav On Autopilot is bad too.

It takes ramps excessively fast.

If a car is gaining on you but aways back it in the next lane to the left, sometimes it decides to go out in front impolitely and not speed up to ease up on how you just cut them off.

Oh if car is merging onto the highway and your in the right lane (USA) it will almost always slow down behind the car entering. It will never accelerate above speed limit to avoid a problem. When on Nav on Autopilot it does tends to stay out of the right lane though because it even knows how badly it drives in that lane.

Oh it also often pulls into the exit lane way to late. To the point of missing the exit or cutting someone off.

Last edited:
Once you get onto the highway though with speed lane changes set to mild it will go three or more hours just cruising along. People merging onto the interstate will figure it out - it's their job anyway. Besides, I can't drive fast on long trips because it kills my range. Just set it to 72 (70 mph limit) and relax. As long as you keep it from hitting stopped firetrucks, it's great!

I guess the developers are driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

FSD Beta is awful. Even in simple right hand turn with no traffic it sometimes stops short and crawls out. With the wheel wiggling all over. It often cancels because I’m trying to keep my hand loosely on the wheel and sometimes I accidentally catch it when whips the wheel around and cancels out. *sugar*, how do you let the wheel slide through your hand with Yoke. Damn I have an S on order. But no FSD this time around. Fool me twice…

The other day, clear roads, no cars, out of the blue it wanted to slam into a guard rail. It’s a miracle I caught it.

Everything was squeaky clean too.

I have the Xmas update.

It takes ramps excessively fast.

If a car is gaining on you but aways back it in the next lane to the left, sometimes it decides to go out in front impolitely and not speed up to ease up on how you just cut them off.

Oh if car is merging onto the highway and your in the right lane (USA) it will almost always slow down behind the car entering. It will never accelerate above speed limit to avoid a problem. When on Nav on Autopilot it does tends to stay out of the right lane though because it even knows how badly it drives in that lane.

Oh it also often pulls into the exit lane way to late. To the point of missing the exit or cutting someone off.

I think what we're learning here is that everyone's experience on FSD Beta is not exactly the same. There are known issues and selective issues. I'm in the school of thought that if an issue cannot be repeated by you or other drivers in your fleet, the issues you experience may in fact be isolated.

Once you get onto the highway though with speed lane changes set to mild it will go three or more hours just cruising along. People merging onto the interstate will figure it out - it's their job anyway. Besides, I can't drive fast on long trips because it kills my range. Just set it to 72 (70 mph limit) and relax. As long as you keep it from hitting stopped firetrucks, it's great!
It’s their job. LOL. I’ve seen idiots come to a complete stop entering the highway. Tesla will almost always go behind someone entering if it thinks there is any chance of a meeting. So no, I can’t relax with folks that don’t know how to drive. Maybe they drive better in your state.

I drive slower than you.