Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you swap M3LR RWD for Performance Version if you could?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hard decision for sure.

Did you get the chance to drive one yet? I take it no since Tesla didn't have a demo performance? Even harder to decide without test driving one.

If you have the money and since you are in the later part of your life then I think I say go for it. Only live once and there likely won't be anything else coming that comes close for awhile in the same size as a Model 3. However if you are open to slightly bigger cars then next gen Model S is rumored to be in development and Porsche Taycan could be very good. So the other option is to keep the RWD 3 for a few more years and then potentially jump to one of those.

If you don't want to change tires or wheel-sets then you should probably keep RWD or change to performance 20" AS tires. The stock tires on the performance should not be driven in a place that gets snow.

I was thinking similar thoughts as you but decided to keep my Model 3LR. I love the balance and efficiency the car has, I think Tesla really nailed it with with the RWD version. I also have another "high end marque" car in my garage that helped make my decision. I still don't think EVs are quite there yet in terms of pure track performance (the 3P+ is getting damn close) but sometimes it's fun to make a bunch of noise and row through the gears.

Here's the important question when it comes to the bottom of it.. what do YOU truly want? What is it that you really want, disregarding what everybody else says? When I made my decision between P3D+ vs AWD non-P, of course the AWD non-P was more then enough but I test drove the P3D+ and I fell in love with the experience and I wanted to bring that amazing experience into my everyday life. For me, I couldn't have settled for anything other then the P3D+. So when it came down to it, my experience surpassed any mental debates or doubts I was having, so it was definitely worth it for me.

As OP states, he doesn't care about the range reduction and efficiency as much, just like myself. The P3D+ is just way too fun to be caring about that, unless if your daily commute is very long and requires 100% battery everyday.

One thing that impressed me a lot was how amazing the ride is. It's unbelievably smooth. Even smoother then the RWD I test drove but I believe those had old springs and now all other Model 3 comes equip with new springs.

The funny thing is, I don't drive much as I work from home, but every-time I do drive, I'm having a blast 100%. Instant power is amazing.

Having said that, I'm sure you would still enjoy your RWD and after a month you wouldn't worry too much about it. Again, it just comes down to you and not what anybody else says. How can we know your inner priorities? Only you know that. What's WORTH it to you? That's all you have to worry about right now. Don't over think it.

Hope this helps!

If you're not going to be flooring it, what's the point of getting a performance version?

With my performance model 3, I go out for a drive, just to drive, about once every two or three days usually past 10pm. I scope out an area to get comfortable with it (if its new). I'll drive back around, and when it's safe and clear of traffic, pedestrians, and even the potential of traffic or pedestrians, I floor it.

I also look forward to over taking slow pokes in traffic. However, that has seemed much more dangerous than my night drives because other people are not thinking about you and how fast you are overtaking someone. They will change lanes and essentially cut you off (but it's your own fault).

None of this is safe and I can't recommend it, but you have to ask yourself why you want the power and if you'll use it. Also, I definitely would not buy the m3p if it's your only track car as ev's just aren't ready for it, even with track mode imo.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the posts - much appreciated. I've thought it over and looked at both the emotional and rational side of the arguments. Bottom line is that my original intent was to buy the M3 and enjoy the "Zen" of the car, the quiet ride, the instant torque and enjoy finding ways to hyper-mile. I had a similar approach to the BMW i3s. That was my original intent, and the LR RWD M3 does that exactly.

The Performance is a wonderful value, especially with the $5,000 price drop, and from a resale basis (just guessing, who really knows) it may retain more value as a percent of the initial selling price (especially a "stripper" version like I'm considering), but that isn't a reason to buy a car. For me, I think I'd enjoy the M3 Performance, but looking at my driving pattern, typical usage, and original intent of buying the car, my decision is that the LR M3 RWD car I bought is the right car for me. Still, I'm sure I'll second guess myself whenever I see a Performance version next to me at a Supercharger.

Thanks for the hand holding and thoughts - they were all helpful. My grandsons' 529 college plans also thank you!

Reactions: mmccking
Thanks jkoya - If money were no object I would have given the NSX serious consideration. I always loved the original, and had a test drive in the new version. Quite interesting, but couldn't justify the price - even when they gave a $30K rebate to reduce inventory. Enjoy your 1997 version - I always liked the NA2 series.

@Drizzle

That’s exactly what I do w my P3D, I take her out at night for a little fun, and boy is it fun to go from 20-85 almost instantly. I actually have found I get better range flooring it and then kind of fighting the regen, I press accelerator slowly to slow down the deceleration of the car, so even tho I’m giving it (gas) electrons, there’s still a green bar. It’s kind of a hobby to see how long I can keep it green.

If there wasn’t a Performance Model 3 I don’t think I’d have a Model 3. But I can say for sure as I’ve never driven a RWD model. But this car is not my DD, I just take it out for fun like a toy, but I can tell you for certain, at least right now, it’s my favorite toy by a long shot!

@Drizzle

That’s exactly what I do w my P3D, I take her out at night for a little fun, and boy is it fun to go from 20-85 almost instantly. I actually have found I get better range flooring it and then kind of fighting the regen, I press accelerator slowly to slow down the deceleration of the car, so even tho I’m giving it (gas) electrons, there’s still a green bar. It’s kind of a hobby to see how long I can keep it green.

If there wasn’t a Performance Model 3 I don’t think I’d have a Model 3. But I can say for sure as I’ve never driven a RWD model. But this car is not my DD, I just take it out for fun like a toy, but I can tell you for certain, at least right now, it’s my favorite toy by a long shot!

I also would likely not own a model 3 unless it was a performance. The price per power/acceleration is just unheard of and what made me drop a big chunk of change on a new car. I was looking at a minimum of around $80k to achieve 3.5 - 3.7 second 0-60 with a hellcat. $68k minus $7500 via the tax credit with a 3.3 0-60? Ok, you got me Tesla (literally nothing else even comes close).

The M3P is also a much nicer daily driver compared to something like a hellcat as well imo, and I do use my M3P as a daily driver.

@Drizzle

Lol I do the exact same thing as well.
I also would likely not own a model 3 unless it was a performance. The price per power/acceleration is just unheard of and what made me drop a big chunk of change on a new car. I was looking at a minimum of around $80k to achieve 3.5 - 3.7 second 0-60 with a hellcat. $68k minus $7500 via the tax credit with a 3.3 0-60? Ok, you got me Tesla (literally nothing else even comes close).

The M3P is also a much nicer daily driver compared to something like a hellcat as well imo, and I do use my M3P as a daily driver.

Agreed 100%. It was P3D+ or nothing for me. The gap between them in experience is pretty huge, IMO. Before I bought the P3D+, I test drove the Model 3 several times and was not impress. I was like, "So this is the 3 eh?... meh, nothing too exciting". And then my SC got me to test drive the P3D+ and I was blown the hell away. The AWD-Non P and RWD is still cool tho, just wasn't for me if I'm going to spend that price range. For me it was only about $8k to jump to P3D+ and that was worth it for me. Granted, if I had to pick a car outside of the P3D+ it would still be the model 3 AWD, but not yet. I'd prolly wait it out and wait for the Model Y unveiling.

If I had the funds or opportunity to make the upgrade from my LR RWD to Performance+, I would in an instant. The angel on my shoulder tells me I drive too fast as-is and the acceleration of LR RWD is more than enough. The devil on my shoulder screams "MOAR!!!"

Thing is I'm a pretty safe driver, I don't do stupid things such as flooring it around heavy traffic or pedestrians. People really should stop being reckless in an attempt to show off. But when I'm on an open road on pacific coast highway away from the crowds, more is just better, it feels so good.

My main reason for getting the P3D+ was the supposed improved brakes. Although I'll probably be using ACC or EAP during heavy traffic now. I like to leave a good gap between me and the car ahead, but other cars often cut in front me because of the gap...Now that I have it, I wonder how much difference there actually is in stopping distance between performance and non-performance Model 3 cars.

All the Model 3s seems to have outstanding performance.

.Now that I have it, I wonder how much difference there actually is in stopping distance between performance and non-performance Model 3 cars.

On the same tires?

Zero.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

The only thing "bigger" brakes are useful for is abuse/track use when you're making lots of repeated, high speed, stops back to back to back with no chance for them to cool off between stops. And even then they never stop you shorter they just are able to take more of those abusive stops before the distance begins to get longer.

I appreciate the follow-up comments. I agree that the Performance version is a bargain regardless of whether or not it works for any person's intended driving use. I also think, at least for me, age has something to do with my decision. At 45 performance was my top priority, even with kids and college costs to consider. At 65+ not so much. Even so, you may find it interesting that the car I sold to buy the M3 was a 2017 Mustang GT manual transmission (the only way to order that car, at least if you're "of a certain age" and have memories of doing some crazy things 50 years ago). My Mustang was, and still is, a great car. Pure American muscle, lots of fun, and also a performance bargain. Got mine as they were introducing the "updated" 2018 models. They had heavy rebates on the 2017 to get rid of them - kind of like a $7500 tax rebate, but not as large. Bottom line, my brand new 2017 Mustang was in my garage for under $30K! I couldn't turn it down, but ultimately I realized that even though the Mustang was a car I would have loved to have 50 years ago, the M3 is the right car for me now. No regrets, just lots of grins.

By the way, my Avatar is from my MV Agusta 800 Brutale Italia. The Italia was a special edition - primarily the paint combination. Absolutely stunning in the sun. I loved the bike, but it scared me silly when I rode it at Virginia International Speedway (less than a two hour drive from my home). Try out these MV Agusta specs: 0-60 under 3 seconds, 0-100 under 7 seconds. 139 HP and only 385 pounds curb weight. I sold it because I no longer have the skill to enjoy it the way it is meant to be driven. Cars are great, but motorcycles really get the adrenaline going. And brand new the cost was about $13K. There are less expensive motorcycles that will have similar specs, but the build quality of the MV Agusta made me smile every day. It's like a two wheel Ferrari.

Here's a video review to enjoy:

And here's a written review: 2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800 @ Top Speed