Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you swap M3LR RWD for Performance Version if you could?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my buddies all started getting bikes I test drove one of theirs, made it about 30 ft before trying to stop and dropped it. I was already scared of crashing because a coworker lost his leg taking a turn too fast with a car backing out of a driveway. Haven't touched a bike since.

Safe to say I'll never be buying a fast bike so a sports car will be the only way for me. Definitely wish I had these g's to play with in my twenties though.

I also love a top of the line jet ski. Those feel surprisingly good in terms of g's as well.

By the way, my Avatar is from my MV Agusta 800 Brutale Italia.

Wow - so cool !!! Always admired them, but have never seen one IRL.

Even so, you may find it interesting that the car I sold to buy the M3 was a 2017 Mustang GT manual transmission (the only way to order that car, at least if you're "of a certain age" and have memories of doing some crazy things 50 years ago).

One of the late night comedians said "The best defense against a carjacking was a manual transmission". Can't remember which one though.

Also 8% more range on the RWD. This is so huge the RWD is almost an upgrade to the AWD model.

I've come across more than one posting in various Model 3 forums where owners of AWD and Performance AWD are complaining about lack of range. Most admit they are aggressive drivers, but others state even with conservative driving they are not seeing great Wh/mi numbers roll in.

I understand why many want the AWD, being they live where snow and/or icing is possible. I've also heard, based on the "Model 3 Road Trip" I followed on Facebook, where one of the early owners of a 3 took it on a nationwide and European road trip to show the car to as many people as possible, that with winter tires on his LR RWD he was able to navigate without undue stress snowy and icy roads. If I lived in snow country I would heavily weigh this aspect against AWD with all-season and/or winter tires. To me, range and efficiency is more important than speed and neck snapping acceleration. While I love how quick and fast my own RWD can be, I love the efficiency more. Even in what cold weather we get where I live, it has been holding up pretty well, with 230-240-ish Wh/mi not uncommon on chilly, dry mornings. I've seen it as low as 184 Wh/mi over a 20 mile drive of freeway/surface street mix in mild weather with climate control completely off. Chilly and wet, that number goes up, as expected.

I've come across more than one posting in various Model 3 forums where owners of AWD and Performance AWD are complaining about lack of range. Most admit they are aggressive drivers, but others state even with conservative driving they are not seeing great Wh/mi numbers roll in.

I understand why many want the AWD, being they live where snow and/or icing is possible. I've also heard, based on the "Model 3 Road Trip" I followed on Facebook, where one of the early owners of a 3 took it on a nationwide and European road trip to show the car to as many people as possible, that with winter tires on his LR RWD he was able to navigate without undue stress snowy and icy roads. If I lived in snow country I would heavily weigh this aspect against AWD with all-season and/or winter tires. To me, range and efficiency is more important than speed and neck snapping acceleration. While I love how quick and fast my own RWD can be, I love the efficiency more. Even in what cold weather we get where I live, it has been holding up pretty well, with 230-240-ish Wh/mi not uncommon on chilly, dry mornings. I've seen it as low as 184 Wh/mi over a 20 mile drive of freeway/surface street mix in mild weather with climate control completely off. Chilly and wet, that number goes up, as expected.

I've gotten similar 230-240 numbers in my AWD on recent chilly mornings. (lifetime is like 260-270 with some aggressive stuff in the mix). Never seen under 200 though.

Range is still more than plenty for 100% of my driving (including a ~1000 mile roadtrip I took- superchargers are rarely more than 100-200 miles apart on major highways anyway).

I’d swap if it was an easy process.

If I didn’t already have Paint Protection Film over the whole front end + Ceramic coated + tinted + chrome delete + painted calipers + powdercoated wheels + Mountain Pass Coilovers + Spacers then I would swap. However as a trade in I’d get a low appraisal and wouldn’t make any of the modifications back. If I sold privately I’d have to deal with people low balling and take time off work to show the car and even then it may be hard to make back on my modifications.

But if anyone is interested I’d be open to offers that take the modifications into account.

I've come across more than one posting in various Model 3 forums where owners of AWD and Performance AWD are complaining about lack of range.
I've really no complaint on lack of range in the big scheme of things but my D is currently running 259Wh lifetime. I suspect the key that I'm basically on EPA, in spite of generally "spirited driving style" (I <heart> launching at 90 degree, never gets old), is I take it very easy on the HVAC and I run on Aeros. The stock 20" wheels on the P are a brutal hit on range.

Very likely that I'd be 240Wh or below if I only had RWD, I see in the 220's at times as it is.

Last edited:
I plan to get the most out of my LR RWD for the next 2-4 years and then see what's available on the used market. I'm thinking by 2020 to 2022 there will be a ton of used performance options available. Of course by then there will be all manner of new even-higher performance options, so picking up a P3 will likely be quite reasonable.

I just got back from a drive in my P85 (not D) loaner. Compared to the previous P85D, it left me with exactly the same impression I had when test-driving the Model 3 RWD vs the Model 3 Performance. It's just a more enjoyable car to drive. Sure, somewhat less stupid-quick but, for me, the unencumbered steering totally makes up for it. Solely for the steering feel, I did not (and still would not) pick a Model 3 AWD over the RWD.

If you count handling as a significant-enough part of your driving enjoyment, then you'll be a bit better served with a RWD ... and you can still punch it and get in front of nearly everyone at a light or when you find a gap in traffic.

Reactions: TEG
I just got back from a drive in my P85 (not D) loaner. Compared to the previous P85D, it left me with exactly the same impression I had when test-driving the Model 3 RWD vs the Model 3 Performance. It's just a more enjoyable car to drive. Sure, somewhat less stupid-quick but, for me, the unencumbered steering totally makes up for it. Solely for the steering feel, I did not (and still would not) pick a Model 3 AWD over the RWD.

If you count handling as a significant-enough part of your driving enjoyment, then you'll be a bit better served with a RWD ... and you can still punch it and get in front of nearly everyone at a light or when you find a gap in traffic.
Can't argue with you liking steering more than speed, but stating you are quicker than mostly any other car is a major over statement relative to what a P3D is quicker than. A P3D is faster than $250k cars. GT mustang's are faster thathan a RWD.

I had a P85 loaner once, that car is tons of fun (although a little too large). I would love for Tesla to offer a software performance upgrade for the RWD.